A Look at The Haunted Mansion Cartoon That Never Was

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
https://screenrant.com/disney-haunted-mansion-tv-show-trailer/

Spearheaded by Kubo and the Two Strings creator/story writer, Shannon Tindle, the television series has two different pilots, allowing Disney to pick which one they would rather have. Sadly, the television series is unlikely to be produced.

The Haunted Mansion cartoon TV series was meant to be big, with different characters going on different adventures. However, each character would be connected by a single overarching narrative.

Tindle planned on taking his inspiration from other Disney artists for his television show. “My goal was to take inspiration from all the backstories created by the artists at WED [the name of Disney’s Imagineering division] and stitch it into one, giant narrative,” Tindle told Cartoon Brew. He wanted to give those who work hard at Disney a chance to be seen in the spotlight in a unique way.

champdisney

I'm hoping this goes the way Deadpool did with test footage and concept being leaked and it gets made by popular demand. It seems like a fun concept.
I sure hope so. I wonder what vision Disney has in mind for the Haunted Mansion since they passed this one up. This teaser was ghoulishly cool, you can tell Tindle is a big fan who has cooked up some really awesome content. Perhaps this will be a thing for the upcoming Disney streaming service?

Bairstow

Tindle planned on taking his inspiration from other Disney artists for his television show. “My goal was to take inspiration from all the backstories created by the artists at WED [the name of Disney’s Imagineering division] and stitch it into one, giant narrative,” Tindle told Cartoon Brew.

What backstories?

Davis and Atencio didn't craft some 10-part epic narrative cycle for the woman in the tightrope painting- Davis just wanted a funny gag for the haunted house ride he was working on.

This is another example of experienced creative people (Baxter has been guilty of this too) either misunderstanding the development history of an attraction or purposefully mischaracterising it in the pursuit of ginning up another "Universe" for Disney to market. There's nothing wrong with expanding the story of a ride if Disney wants to sell cartoons to kids or whatever, but when they pretend that there was always some intended story where there wasn't (like they've done on Pirates) they venture into misrepresenting the creative development history of these attractions and that bugs the hell out of me. This is in-house fanfiction, nothing more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom