A little ol' trip report . . . Thanksgiving 06

Hey guys! Just got back. I thought I'd jot down a few random thoughts about going during the Thanksgiving season.

A few months ago, my sister-in-laws (2 of them) wanted to go to WDW. They had never been before. I volunteered to tour them around, promising to hit every major attraction. The catch? They only had three days, and these days fell on the Thanksgiving weekend. Could we do it, especially during peak season? Were we insane for even trying?

All-Star Suite Accommodations:

First of all, we stayed in the new suites at the All-Star Music. The suite was very nicely done. I loved having a little kitchenette for the kiddies (mine are 4 and 2). It made getting my son's "tippie" cup filled with apple juice at two o'clock in the morning, a much easier accomplishment. The two bathrooms are nice, and the pull down couch, chair, and ottoman are much more comfortable than I thought they could be. They still kinda feel like your sleeping on grandma's hide-a-bed, but they are new enough (right now) that the padding still keeps you from feeling the bar.

Unfortunately, it still is a value resort. We found the front desk lines huge, and unmanageable (even at 11:30 at night). The busses were extremely undependable on the way to the park. One morning (thanksgiving) we had to wait almost an hour for the bus to the Animal Kingdom. Yes, you heard right. An hour to AK. Jeesh.

Fortunately, the return trip were much smoother, with nary a wait longer than five minutes.

CROWD CONTROL:

Ok. I have learned my lesson. I submit. I will NEVER go again, at peak season. Actually, Thanksgiving day at AK and MGM was excellent. We rode everything, saw the new Nemo show (more on that in a moment), and even stayed for a late showing (8:30) Fantasmic.

Friday, however, was a different story. The Magic Kingdom was wall to wall packed. Now, I know, I know, some of you out there are saying, "duh, you thought it would be different?" Look, I've been to DW twelve times over the last 15 years. I just never go on peak season. I knew that strange things were afoot when we got to Pirates. I love Pirates, I curse the new overlay. I have never had to wait 65 minutes to ride this attraction, EVER! The other lines were even more outrageous. Luckily, through careful maneuvering, and my keen sense of timing ( :secret: ), I was able to get us on every major attraction, including the new pirates. But it was a difficult job which only a true Disney pro can accomplish. I don't recommend it for the faint-of-heart.

Saturday was spent at Epcot . . . at least some of it was. We'll learn more about the magic of e-coli, in just a moment. The crowds were plentiful, but once again, even in my absence, my touring plan prevailed.

Sunday, the sister-in-laws left to go back to the magical land of Colorado. This left me, the wife, and the kids, with some much needed rest time. We gently toured Epcot and the MK. This was much more like it. Peter Pan was only a twenty minute wait for most of the day. There were even a couple of times when Buzz was a walk-on.

Monday, I said screw it. We are not staying at Animal Kingdom, but we are gonna go use their pool. So that is what we did. I met some nice Brits in the hot tub, and we soaked and enjoyed a cool, drizzly rain.

WEATHER

Which brings me to the weather. It snowed. No, I am not just talking about the Osborne lights, and we missed MVMCP by one night. No, Tuesday night, it actually snowed. It was crazy cold when we first got there, and everyone was talking about the snow. Thanksgiving was cool, but pleasant. Friday it got warm, again (upper 70's) The rest of the time was upper 70's - lower 80's. BTW, unusually, it only rained twice, and neither downpour was much to write home to mama about.

RIDES

So, I got to ride a few rides, and no, the Monster's Inc show was a no-show.

Wonders of Life:It was open! That's right, Body Wars, Cranium Command, and The Making of Me. The pavilion looked excellent. I was stoked to see it open, and running.

Finding Nemo: the ride Loved it! It was much better than I originally thought it would be. They did a lot with the space they had. The queue was cool, too. The angler fish was the best effect (for me). As was Nemo swimming in the pipe to escape Bruce. The projections inside the aquarium were great, as well. Very well done. The only beef is that the ride's story line has Nemo being a punk, and completely does away with the moral of the movie. Oh, by the way, the EAC was really fantabulous!

Finding Nemo: the musical Great puppets, especially Mr. Ray, and the sharks. I did not find the actors faces to be as distracting as I thought they'd be. The music, however, sucked. I hated the music. I will give them props for lifting entire sections of lyrics straight from the film's dialogue, but I did not think the songs were catchy, at all. Sorry.

Expedition Everest: Fabulous! We rode the single riders line, and waited only about ten minutes on Thanksgiving day! The ride is amazing, full of surprises, and I love the Yeti. This is definitely more than just a beefed-up Matterhorn.

POTC: Ok. Mixed review here, folks. I loved the Davey Jones waterfall effect. It was not where I thought they would put it, and it was major impressive. I also enjoyed Capt. Jack and Barbosa. They were very impressive animatronics. The new lighting was great. It really added a lot to the attraction, as did the clean up of the fire effects. I did find the new dialogue to be a bit distracting. I didn't want to hear every pirate talking about Capt. Jack. I also didn't like how they did away with the song for most of the ride, and really missed the ghostly voices talking at the beginning.

Haunted Mansion: Haunted mansion? Yep. Let me take this opportunity to voice my displeasure at how they have treated this attraction. The first time we rode it, the sound was absolutely terrible. Madam Leota's voice was completely absent. That should have been a category one, enough to shut down the attraction. Also absent was the coffin voice ("let me outta here".) Now, luckily, they had all of this fixed, on Sunday, but the attraction still needs a lot of work. There are broken jump effects, rips in the scrim, and assorted other signs of ill-repair.

DINING:

So, we went with the dining plan, once more. By the way, Cinderella's Castle is supposedly booked straight through February. Evidently, those who book it, now must register a credit card, in case they don't show. Gone are the days when you could show up around 4:30 p.m. and get in. You must reserve your spot four to six months before hand.

The dining plan is awesome. That is, unless you get sick. You can not (and I knew this before I left, but found out first hand) get any kind of extension or refund. We stayed in the suites for the first four nights, and then moved to a single room for the last night. Thus, we had the plan the first four, and didn't purchase it on the last. On Friday, we went to eat at Liberty Tree Tavern. The food was tasty. However, my wife and I were the only ones in our party to eat the dressing. About two a.m., I awoke to hear my wife sending hers back into the toilet. Sure enough, both of us had the tell-tell signs of food poisoning. We were the only ones out of our party of six (including the kiddos) to get sick.

Needless to say, we were not able to enjoy Epcot, the next day. We got there, rode Nemo, and then my wife and I left the kids with her sisters. We went back to the hotel, and climbed back into bed. Because of this, we had four counter service meals left at the end of the trip. We tried to use them, but we just couldn't eat. Disney would not make any concessions for us, unless we could prove that we had food poisoning. I told them that I was a doctor, and I would be happy to save a sample, but I don't think they really wanted proof. I think that they just wanted to shut us up.

We won't be returning to Liberty Square Tavern, and I think next time we will go back to staying at a moderate or deluxe resort.

CONCLUSION:

In spite of all of these hang-ups, it was a great trip. The Osborne Spectacle was amazing, the Candlelight Processional was great (by the way, you can use the dining plan on it), and it was still magical, in spite of the vomiting and diarrhea.

That's all, I think. Adios, for now.

P.S. I spent the last evening with Earl from Trapped on Vacation. We had a blast. I think his latest podcast has our trip on it.

DonaldDoleWhip

It's really good that you had a fun trip. I just feel like sharing some things from my Thanksgiving trip.

We left from Disney on Sunday, but I noticed that the crowds at MK were pretty light. I walked right on PotC, BTM (twice), Splash, Buzz, Stitch, Peter Pan, and the Tea Cups. I was in the MK from 9-12, and I was pretty amazed by how light the crowds were.

The Nemo Ride at Epcot is pretty cool. I was impressed with the EAC scene as well. But yeah, Nemo's emo voice and punk attitude really bothered me.

This could just be me, but the changes at the Poly REALLLLLY bothered me. The changes in the lobby, the rooms, and the restaurants just drove me crazy. We are never staying at the Poly again. It's not the same hotel as it was a few years ago. Heck, we were there in February 2005 and it was totally different than how it is now.

Anyone like Laila (the perfume you can buy in Norway)? Well, on Friday the guy who designed it was actually there. My mom bought about 3 perfume bottles, and they had all been signed by him. It was actually pretty cool.

GoofyMom2

Anyone like Laila (the perfume you can buy in Norway)? Well, on Friday the guy who designed it was actually there. My mom bought about 3 perfume bottles, and they had all been signed by him. It was actually pretty cool.

Love that perfume! Wear it almost every day :)

Thanks for the trip reports......so sorry to hear you and your wife got so sick :(

Space1205Mount

Okay well first a 65 minute wait for PotC is nothing when i was there on fall break it was 100 and everything else we literaly walked on. So be glad you got to it at the right time.

Sounds like you had a great time! Hope i get to go again soon really soon

Ciciwoowoo

We went to the LTT in May, and I still cringe when I think of the stuffing there!!! It was so garlicky it made me sicker than a dog!

I know everyone says how wonderful it is, but based on that alone, you couldn't pay me to eat there again!

SNOW?!?! I live a few hours north of Orlando and it hasn't even been below 40 degrees yet this year. Are you sure the nice Brits in the hot tub didn't slip something into your drink?

We went to the LTT in May, and I still cringe when I think of the stuffing there!!! It was so garlicky it made me sicker than a dog!

I dunno, I rather enjoyed the stuffing when I ate there about a month ago, and I really don't like it when garlic is overpowering...maybe you just had a funky batch?

metscool

Great Report. I was in MK yesterday, Sunday and Saturday(work). Saturday was bad in the park that day. Monster will not bve open for sometime now. You did not hear it from me.

Hun, if you aren't supposed to be telling people this, than it probably isn't a wise idea to openly say it when you have a photo of yourself in your profile, and thus are easy to trace...

minnie2000

It's really good that you had a fun trip. I just feel like sharing some things from my Thanksgiving trip.

We left from Disney on Sunday, but I noticed that the crowds at MK were pretty light. I walked right on PotC, BTM (twice), Splash, Buzz, Stitch, Peter Pan, and the Tea Cups. I was in the MK from 9-12, and I was pretty amazed by how light the crowds were.

The Nemo Ride at Epcot is pretty cool. I was impressed with the EAC scene as well. But yeah, Nemo's emo voice and punk attitude really bothered me.

This could just be me, but the changes at the Poly REALLLLLY bothered me. The changes in the lobby, the rooms, and the restaurants just drove me crazy. We are never staying at the Poly again. It's not the same hotel as it was a few years ago. Heck, we were there in February 2005 and it was totally different than how it is now.

I love that perfume! We went in 2005, and I liked it then, and meant to buy it but we forgot, so we bought some when we were in Epcot last month. :wave:

teebin

Finding Nemo: the musical The music, however, sucked. I hated the music. I will give them props for lifting entire sections of lyrics straight from the film's dialogue, but I did not think the songs were catchy, at all. Sorry.

Thank goodness someone else thinks the Nemo music is terrible. I find it to be the most stilted untuneful bunch of discordant dissonant notes I have ever heard arranged for a musical. It's as if Bela Bartok does Disney.

WildcatDen

Thanks for the report. We are planning on going Thanksgiving 2007 having been Thanksgiving 2004. I did not think the crowds were that bad in 04 but my sister in-law just got back from Turkey week 06 and she said it was prety crowded, especially the AK on the 20th.

Thanks for the tip on the stuffing.

kachow

We were there Thanksgiving Day through the following Wednesday, and I can attest to the crowds. We arrived on Thanksgiving and decided to go to Epcot, getting there around 11:30am. We thought that would be less crowded, but all the major attractions had 100+ minute waits and the earliest fastpass times were 6pm on. We had dinner reservations at 5pm, so we went on Nemo had lunch and then went back to the hotel pool.

The following two days we made sure to get to the parks right at 9am, and didn't really have a problem. You just had to FP the most popular ride like BTM at MK, or Soarin' at Epcot, first thing and then head to the next popular as a stand by. Save the sure walk-on's like Buzz and Haunted Mansion to kill time while waiting for a FP time or to FP another ride. By Sunday crowds had cleared up and things were reasonable.

Oh, and we also LOVED the dining plan. Didn't feel forced to eat too much like we feared. We also liked that we could use snack credits for a bagel or pastry for breakfast. And we really didn't encounter any menu restrictions other than obvious ones like you couldn't use your desert credit for a bowl of ice cream intended for 4 people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom