A Little Black Cloud Over Our Trip

Tiggerfanatic

My great-niece & nephew are so excited about our trip next week, they can hardly contain themselves. We kept it a secret since May, and just told them about it at Thanksgiving. The kids live with their mother (my niece), so we cleared it with Stevie's Dad, but knew if we told Hannah's father, he ruin the surprise out of pure spite & meanness.

Well, he decided over the weekend that he's not going let her go. He's been threatening to have us arrested for kipnapping, or declare my niece an unfit mother and take Hannah away from her, the whole nine yards. Now keep in mind that he has not seen Hannah since her birthday in September (only lives 20 miles away), and contributes zero dollars towards her support. I know he doesn't have a leg to stand on and can't keep up from taking her, but I feel so bad for both kids, having to hear him rant and rave and be a general a$$ about the whole thing. Poor little girl was so upset at church yesterday that she asked everyone to pray that her Dad changes his mind and stops being so mean to her Mom.

The trip will go on as planned, but it has put a little damper on everything. I just wanted to ask all my friends here at WDW Magic to keep the whole situation in your prayers.

God Bless & Merry Christmas.

Philo

What a horrible situation. Why on earth would you stop your own daughter from having a great vacation?!? There are some people in this world who just need to grow up.

I hope everything works out for you. As you said, I wouldn't expect any real problems to arise but it's not fair on the poor girl to be put in a situation like that.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I suggest great caution. A biological parent can do a lot of things, whether they're a good parent or not.

I'd make sure to advise local law enforcement of your plans. If he calls and even suggests the idea of kidnapping, they would be forced to act. I'd hate to see the vacation ruined by a vindictive father. If you lay the groundwork, then the police can possibly 'pre-clear' your trip by finding out the specifics of the situation beforehand. A notarized letter of permission to travel with you from the mother would be a good idea as well.

Personally, I'd even go so far as to consult a lawyer specializing in Family Law as well.

Upvote 0

kasey1988

I really hope everything works out for you... I would probally get a letter from the mother saying she gives you permission to take her on vacation. Are you traveling within the states? Or from another country? If your going to have to go across the border you might run into some problems if you dont have permission from both parents.
Im not sure why some parents get so vindictive over things, who woudnt want there daughter to havea great time in disney world with family members. If the mother has a lawyer already, i would probally talk to them before taking the child.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I suggest great caution. A biological parent can do a lot of things, whether they're a good parent or not.

I'd make sure to advise local law enforcement of your plans. If he calls and even suggests the idea of kidnapping, they would be forced to act. I'd hate to see the vacation ruined by a vindictive father. If you lay the groundwork, then the police can possibly 'pre-clear' your trip by finding out the specifics of the situation beforehand. A notarized letter of permission to travel with you from the mother would be a good idea as well.

Personally, I'd even go so far as to consult a lawyer specializing in Family Law as well.

I would advise giving a Famly Law professional a call as well. The requirements for permission should be given in the MSA (Marital Seperation Agreement) but as you said, if this guy makes a stink about it, while nothing may come of it in the long run, it will be enough to ruin the vacation. I just don't understand the motives of some people.

-dave

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have been down this road before and I have to agree 100% with Monty. Get advice from an attorney and follow what he says to the letter. Regardless of how poor of a father the biological father is it makes no difference in the eyes of the law. He could not have not seen or spoken to the kids in a year, be behind tens of thousands in child support and it will not matter. If the divorce papers says he gets X, Y, and Z then he gets that regardless of everything else. If he has joint custody and calls the police stating that you kidnapped his kids you will more than likely be arrested or at least detained. It sucks and it is not fair but it is the way it works.

Upvote 0

Senderella

Wow, how horrible and unfit of your neice for wanting her kids to go to Disney World with a family member and have a great time. :rolleyes: How stupid (and petty and vindictive) can this "father" be? Really?

Do make sure you do as everyone's suggested and make sure all your i's are dotted and t's are crossed with the legal outlets (lawyers, cops, etc) well in advance so this jerkface can't spoil the trip for these kiddos. Poor little girl too. I feel so bad for her for having such an azz for a father. Keep us updated ok?

Upvote 0

Steve-B

All I can say is - wow - that guy may be the father, but doesn't sound like much of a daddy. Even though my girls are 19 and 21, that is still my favorite word to hear.

I know . . . cheesy . . . but that's just me.

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

Original Poster
Thanks for all your kind words of support. We have reported his threats to the local police, and spoken with an attorney. And I already have the notarized permission from my niece for me to take the kids, and to authorize any emergency medical treatment. I really don't anticipate any real trouble - he's just being a bully, and is trying to see if he can get my niece to bend. In the past, when she's stood up to him, he's backed down. Deep down, he's just a coward at heart.

Upvote 0

wdwCC

It's sad when a child pays for the adult being a jerk. Every kid deserves some happy childhood memories. I hope everything works out.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
All I can say is - wow - that guy may be the father, but doesn't sound like much of a daddy. Even though my girls are 19 and 21, that is still my favorite word to hear.

I know . . . cheesy . . . but that's just me.
Usually when my older girls say "daddy" it means they want something.:lol:

Upvote 0

jvenegas

Now we know why they are not together anymore. The guy is a first class jerk.
Why a father wouldn't let his daughter enjoy a trip to the most magical place on earth is beyond me.
Just be sure to take all the necessary legal precautions and enjoy your trip and may your niece have the grandest time of all.:wave:

Upvote 0

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Now we know why they are not together anymore. The guy is a first class jerk.
Why a father wouldn't let his daughter enjoy a trip to the most magical place on earth is beyond me.
Just be sure to take all the necessary legal precautions and enjoy your trip and may your niece have the grandest time of all.:wave:
Sounds like the "father" is jealous that he isn't going...:lol:

Upvote 0

mickeymaniacs

I am sorry to hear that this poor little girl is stuck in the middle of something like this but as long as her mom has given you permission and you have the letter than I think you should be ok. he is just trying to throw his weight around. Guys like that just like to act like a butt because they are used to getting their way. I will keep you in my prayers. God does some pretty amazing things and I know first hand that prayer does work. I just came back and the look on my niece's face when she saw the castle was priceless and I hope that little girl has the same wonderful experience.:xmas:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom