A head's up.

MouseMadness

Original Poster
I'm sure this has made it to you all already, but just in case it missed some, this came in my email. I am assuming its legitimacy, so here you go! :)

90# on the telephone

PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a test on telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine(9), zero(0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up.

Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local jails/prisons. I have also verified this information with UCB Telecom,Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic and GTE. Please beware.

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.

PLEASE pass this on to everyone YOU know.

If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organizations you are connected with, I encourage you to pass on this information to them.

After checking with Verizon they said it was true, so do not dial (9),zero(0), the pound sign # and hang up for anyone.

PLEASE HIT THAT FORWARD BUTTON AND PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

SpongeScott

MouseMadness said:
I'm sure this has made it to you all already, but just in case it missed some, this came in my email. I am assuming its legitimacy, so here you go! :)

90# on the telephone

PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a test on telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine(9), zero(0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up.

Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local jails/prisons. I have also verified this information with UCB Telecom,Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic and GTE. Please beware.

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.

PLEASE pass this on to everyone YOU know.

If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organizations you are connected with, I encourage you to pass on this information to them.

After checking with Verizon they said it was true, so do not dial (9),zero(0), the pound sign # and hang up for anyone.

PLEASE HIT THAT FORWARD BUTTON AND PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW
Better safe than sorry on this one. Just don't do anything stupid. Here's more info: http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/jailcall.asp

MouseMadness

Original Poster
Well, I dunno... I was passing on an email. I am not so bright, so I'll admit it did waste a couple minutes of my time cause it took me so long to read. But is there harm in not dialing 90# if some stranger tells you to? :lookaroun

:p Do whatever you want, I just wanted to pass it along. No conspiracy, no ill will... here it is, so research if you must! Goodnight! :wave:

Woody13

Computer Magic said:
One of those interent sites listed is giving false informatoin, but which one:veryconfu

Let me explain how this is designed to work. This only applies to very old PBX phone systems with multiple lines. The kind of systems where you have to dial 9 to get an "outside" line. With a caller on the line, if you dial 9 (outside line) then 0 (Operator) and then # (transfer the incoming call to the line you have just dialed) you transfer the incoming caller to an operator. How many home phones do you know that require you to dial 9 to get an "outside" line?

Anyway, this scam doesn't work on any new multi-line phone systems, including the old PBX lines (does anyone use PBX systems anymore?). Sending out a message to everyone you know does more damage than the scam being warned about. Case closed! :wave:

MouseMadness

Original Poster
Woody13 said:
Anyway, this scam doesn't work on any new multi-line phone systems, including the old PBX lines (does anyone use PBX systems anymore?). Sending out a message to everyone you know does more damage than the scam being warned about. Case closed! :wave:

Ok, sorry for the damage I've caused. :rolleyes: :wave:

MouseMadness

Original Poster
Woody13 said:
Well, you can just be glad that old Barney Fife was on the case to "nip it in the bud". :kiss: :wave:

Woody, I'd neg rep ya if I didn't know you liked it so much!!

:p

So does anybody else have all the Andy Griffith episodes on dvd? :sohappy:

Computer Magic

Woody13 said:
Let me explain how this is designed to work. This only applies to very old PBX phone systems with multiple lines. The kind of systems where you have to dial 9 to get an "outside" line. With a caller on the line, if you dial 9 (outside line) then 0 (Operator) and then # (transfer the incoming call to the line you have just dialed) you transfer the incoming caller to an operator. How many home phones do you know that require you to dial 9 to get an "outside" line?

So it can work on older systems, maybe a business that can't afford to upgrade? I think my work falls within those specs. I know my work phone is one step above rotary phone. :lol:

Thanks MouseMadness, I may have found a bug within my work phone system. :wave:

Woody13

Computer Magic said:
So it can work on older systems, maybe a business that can't afford to upgrade? I think my work falls within those specs. I know my work phone is one step above rotary phone. :lol:

Thanks MouseMadness, I may have found a bug within my work phone system. :wave:

PBX systems (private branch exchanges) are not subject to this scam any longer either. All telephone company account representatives are aware of the potential abuse and have taken steps to preclude this very old scam. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom