A good camera?

KrazyKronk

Original Poster
I have a question regarding digital cameras.

Can anyone recommend an excellent digital camera under $300?

I have in the past owned Nikon and Canon brands. They have both been excellent cameras, but am looking to buy something new and was wanting some people's opinions, not just the standard review.

My trip is in 29 days...so any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

TestTrack

I have in the past owned Nikon and Canon brands. They have both been excellent cameras, but am looking to buy something new and was wanting some people's opinions, not just the standard review.

Need more info...what type of pictures do you like to take? Close up? Long distance? Night shots? Large Family? Portraits?

How about size? Tiny? Small? Large ok?

DivineMadness7

Canon Powershot SD850

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217954605&sr=8-3

I did a ton of research before I purchased this camera last March. It (and Canon in general) got very positive reviews for the best value for your buck and best quality. I know 3 other people who own this exact camera and love it. As you can see it has received 4.5 out of 5 stars averaged from 386 customer reviews.

I would suggest going to Best Buy and spending the extra $30 for the "anything happens" warranty. I was told for 2 years that anything that happened, as long as I didn't purposely break it, it would be replaced. This is great for peace of mind, especially on a disney trip.

To the above suggestion of the Kodak easyshare, I would suggest to stay away from those. My mom, grandmother and best friend all owned one and had problems or were not satisfied. I'm sure not everyone has had this experience, just sharing mine.

There are quite a few threads in the past several months on this same topic, try a search for some more opinions. Good luck!

Spike-in-Berlin

I would suggest you should buy a camcorder instead if you don't already own one.
I find a video a much better souvenir than pictures. OK we made something about 600-700 pictures in WDW but I enjoy my 7 hour video much, much more. Imagine the feeling at home when you do the rides again, see the shows again, hear the music, smell the...oops got carried away a little too much.:rolleyes: No 4D camcorders yet.:D

Crazy4WDW1

I bought myself the Canon SD750 (black) for my May trip to WDW. I LOVE this camera. It takes amazing pictures. I got it for under $200 from Bestbuy's website. At the time they were offering free shipping and a 1 gb memory card. I did just check their site and did not see the black available. It is a wonderful camera.

KeithVH

Several people here now have the Canon S5. For vacations, a pretty decent camera. Search S5 and see the posts. I think EpcotServo just bought one and posted a bunch of pics you can check out.

Is $300 your max? Including memory, extra memory and rechargeable batteries? If you could see your way to go a few dollars more, I would really endorse a Canon A650IS (what I use). The sensor is 3-4 times larger and that translates into much higher quality captures and less noise(size DOES matter). $306 at Amazon and uses AA's and cheap SD cards.
Here's a link to a couple hundred A650 shots from our December trip.

TiggerBW

Canon Powershot SD850

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSh...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217954605&sr=8-3

I did a ton of research before I purchased this camera last March. It (and Canon in general) got very positive reviews for the best value for your buck and best quality. I know 3 other people who own this exact camera and love it. As you can see it has received 4.5 out of 5 stars averaged from 386 customer reviews.

I would suggest going to Best Buy and spending the extra $30 for the "anything happens" warranty. I was told for 2 years that anything that happened, as long as I didn't purposely break it, it would be replaced. This is great for peace of mind, especially on a disney trip.

To the above suggestion of the Kodak easyshare, I would suggest to stay away from those. My mom, grandmother and best friend all owned one and had problems or were not satisfied. I'm sure not everyone has had this experience, just sharing mine.

There are quite a few threads in the past several months on this same topic, try a search for some more opinions. Good luck!

I just got this camera a week ago and love it! :)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'd recommend against the extended warranty. Those are where companies like Best Buy make their biggest profits. It's probably the most expensive insurance you'll ever buy and IMO isn't worth it.

I opened a separate bank account a number of years ago and instead of paying for warranties, I put the same amount in the account to cover the same things. I've since bought a 55" Sony rear-projection HD TV with the money from that account and still have enough there to replace any two of my current electronic devices should they break. It takes a bit of self-discipline to not dip into the account for other things, but after iyt built up enough to pay $4000 for a TV and still covr what I might need to replace, I figure it was worth it.

DivineMadness7

I'd recommend against the extended warranty. Those are where companies like Best Buy make their biggest profits. It's probably the most expensive insurance you'll ever buy and IMO isn't worth it.

I opened a separate bank account a number of years ago and instead of paying for warranties, I put the same amount in the account to cover the same things. I've since bought a 55" Sony rear-projection HD TV with the money from that account and still have enough there to replace any two of my current electronic devices should they break. It takes a bit of self-discipline to not dip into the account for other things, but after iyt built up enough to pay $4000 for a TV and still covr what I might need to replace, I figure it was worth it.

I see what you're saying but as a student who spends little money on electronics and is extremely accident prone, it seemed like a good option for me. I know they make huge profits from it, I wasn't born yesterday! But I also know too many people who have spent $200+ on a camera to break it within the next month.

A camera is particularly prone to heavy wear by nature. I worked in a camera shop as my first summer job and saw camera after camera ruined by things like one small pebble of sand. Also saw quite a few much more damaged than that, but it doesn't take much. It may have cost me a little extra, they may have made a big profit from it, but that peace of mind was worth it to me. Other than my laptop, it's the only "new" piece of electronic equipment that I own (and I did buy Apple Care for it also!) I guess it's just different strokes for different folks? :lol: :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom