A fun look back at 1965

Practical Pig

But that isn't the same character seen in the video.

It sort of is but it isn't. The hair is a different color, the hat isn't black, but has the buckle, and the costume is otherwise different. But the nature of the face is similar if you think about how off-model some of the early park costumes were. The jury may still be deliberating, but this is interesting new evidence. Of course, they may just have rented some random fantasy-ish costumes from somewhere to fill out the off-the-shelf stuff in easy reach when they threw this together.

Scary Mice.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Witch Hazel, and her flying hairpins, is a Warner's Brothers property, not Disney's.

I'm not sure what just happened in this still, but I think she needs to excuse herself.

View attachment 281342
Witch Hazel is Disney and she's from Trick or Treat (1952) starring Donald Duck

View attachment 281349
Thanks for that Tror. The hat band buckle is at least similar in the costume. I wonder if there were any disputes over the character name.

Actually Witch Hazel was both Disney's and the WBs.

http://www.animationmagazine.net/top-stories/which-witch-is-which/

Now as for whether that is her in the video, not sure because by that time she was at WB.

Practical Pig

Actually Witch Hazel was both Disney's and the WBs.

http://www.animationmagazine.net/top-stories/which-witch-is-which/

Now as for whether that is her in the video, not sure because by that time she was at WB.

And thanks for that, Irish. I didn't know she had such a storied past, and I like this kind of trivia. And I liked this part of the puzzle:

“My agent called me and said, ‘You’ve never worked at Warner Bros. before.’ And I was just getting my feet wet (in animation), I really didn’t know too much about Bugs Bunny, or all that had gone on before. So in 1954, Chuck called my agent and said, ‘I’d like to hire June Foray,’ and I did Witch Hazel over there, you know, with the hairpins flying, and who had a pet tarantula named Paul. He named her ‘Witch Hazel’ too, and Disney of course was unable to sue because Witch Hazel had been copyrighted by some alcohol company. They couldn’t do anything about it.”
So, possibly, by the time this Tencennial was produced, Disney may have had some older off-model Witch Hazel costumes lying around, and used them as filler in this production after they had given up on the character since Warners Brothers had appropriated her in a very popular and un-actionable way. Or they rented from some Hansel and Gretel Ice Capades. Anyway, that my current take-away.

D

Deleted member 107043

Let's assume that she is representing Disney's Witch Hazel. If she is then why are there 3 of them present at the Centennial Celebration? BTW, I did a Google search for "who are the witches in the disneyland tencennial celebration" and came up with nothing.

Practical Pig

Let's assume that she is representing Disney's Witch Hazel. If she is then why are there 3 of them present at the Centennial Celebration? BTW, I did a Google search for "who are the witches in the disneyland tencennial celebration" and came up with nothing.

Assuming this, I would assume they had three of them lying around, and were throwing together a limited-use tenth-year promotional video on a shoestring budget and schedule in the park's early years, and were frantically pulling whatever they could find from stock.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Its very possible they are 3 different witch characters that all just look the same.

Witch Hazel, the Witch from Silly Symphony Babes in the Woods, and I'm trying to find the 3rd.

Or they could just be random character costumes needed to fill out the parade of characters.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Its very possible they are 3 different witch characters that all just look the same.

Witch Hazel, the Witch from Silly Symphony Babes in the Woods, and I'm trying to find the 3rd.

Or they could just be random character costumes needed to fill out the parade of characters.

Could be the 3rd is the Evil Queen from Snow White.

Or could even be the Flora, Fauna and Merryweather with no color. Character costumes back then were horrible representations of the characters.

I guess without a Disney historian we'll never know officially.

Practical Pig

You probably don't need to continue that search. If you'll go back to the video, the three witch costumes are identical. They are obviously three copies of the identical costume, in every detail.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You probably don't need to continue that search. If you'll go back to the video, the three witch costumes are identical. They are obviously three copies of the identical costume.

Understood they are identical, but there have been witch characters used in Disney films that look similar or identical to each other. It was common in early days of animation to reuse character looks, backgrounds, etc. in multiple films to save money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom