Trip Report A Friend Like Her *COMPLETED*

“Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”
~
Forrest Gump

Ah, February. The month of heart-shaped boxes of chocolate. The month of romance and love. The month of someone’s Valentine birthday.

The month of the crappiest weather in 95 percent of the country. Including Florida.

The month in which another mother/daughter jaunt to WDW brought unexpected surprises.....some great, some not-so-great....much like biting into a piece of boxed chocolate.

Much like life itself.

I’d LOVE to have you follow along on our long-weekend adventure.

Who: Tuvalu and Em (with special appearances by a dear friend)
When: January 31 - February 4, 2020
Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort

50EC2F59-4772-40F9-B654-A53DD93293C9.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I thought I had the perfect suggestion for what to do next.

It was raining....we were wearing raincoats....why not Splash Mountain?

I’ll tell you why, Tuvalu. Splash Mountain’s closed for refurb! :facepalm:

Ok. Plan B.

A35F9DD5-DC52-434D-9B00-13D060834CEE.jpeg

Plan B required traversing Frontierland....in a downpour.....through giant puddles. Socks and shoes? Soaked. Our feet remained squishy wet until we returned to Pop in the late afternoon, when we were able to towel off and put on fresh socks and footwear.

In the meantime, all we could do was laugh.

I told Kel to pose for the ride photo. (“There’s a ride photo?”)

85B65AE7-C3D1-4D66-B6DC-A00A4D98737D.jpeg

I want it noted that I NAILED IT! Take that, little miss Em-I-know-where-the-camera-is!

08DC045C-C143-47AC-868B-99418BBB29E2.jpeg

Kelly was familiar with It’s a Small World. Modifications were being made to the queue so everyone had to use the FP entrance.

FA206118-D221-4B66-AF79-C195D98F3D9A.jpeg

But we standby guests had to queue outside in the rain.

929B0197-6C5A-4021-8976-3A99C5211380.jpeg

Though it wasn’t even close to lunchtime, we began discussing dining locations while waiting in line. Kel mentioned that she had never been to Be Our Guest, a place she and her daughter had wanted to see during a prior visit but couldn’t get reservations. On a lark I pulled out my phone and found an ADR! (Never give up!)

Happy gals ready for the Happiest Cruise That Ever Sailed.

FAEA5BB7-5DB9-47FF-9D34-8CA5A1464657.jpeg

“Look, Kel, there’s your name!”

“OMG, how do they know I’m here?!”

A5DE8FF4-0A9A-4F67-B781-40606EB9DA13.jpeg

Magic, my friend. Disney magic.

Rista1313

he Varsitys you want! (Not my thing.)

The only thing I really miss there is the onion rings...

Pop food court... as much as I love pop... the one thing I really don't love is how big and loud the food court is....

And... well.... you actually stayed in my favorite location.... I love the bowling pool! There are a lot farther walks on property than that, I think those are fairly close! LOL

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
The only thing I really miss there is the onion rings...

Pop food court... as much as I love pop... the one thing I really don't love is how big and loud the food court is....

And... well.... you actually stayed in my favorite location.... I love the bowling pool! There are a lot farther walks on property than that, I think those are fairly close! LOL

Sonic has the BEST onion rings!!

Minnesota disney fan

I thought I had the perfect suggestion for what to do next.

It was raining....we were wearing raincoats....why not Splash Mountain?

I’ll tell you why, Tuvalu. Splash Mountain’s closed for refurb! :facepalm:

Ok. Plan B.

View attachment 451437

Plan B required traversing Frontierland....in a downpour.....through giant puddles. Socks and shoes? Soaked. Our feet remained squishy wet until we returned to Pop in the late afternoon, when we were able to towel off and put on fresh socks and footwear.

In the meantime, all we could do was laugh.

I told Kel to pose for the ride photo. (“There’s a ride photo?”)

View attachment 451438

I want it noted that I NAILED IT! Take that, little miss Em-I-know-where-the-camera-is!

View attachment 451439

Kelly was familiar with It’s a Small World. Modifications were being made to the queue so everyone had to use the FP entrance.

View attachment 451440

But we standby guests had to queue outside in the rain.

View attachment 451441

Though it wasn’t even close to lunchtime, we began discussing dining locations while waiting in line. Kel mentioned that she had never been to Be Our Guest, a place she and her daughter had wanted to see during a prior visit but couldn’t get reservations. On a lark I pulled out my phone and found an ADR! (Never give up!)

Happy gals ready for the Happiest Cruise That Ever Sailed.

View attachment 451444

“Look, Kel, there’s your name!”

“OMG, how do they know I’m here?!”

View attachment 451442

Magic, my friend. Disney magic.
Wow, you are my hero! You actually managed to get BOG just before lunch time??? My daughter has never eaten there, and we both are checking each day. I won't lose hope of getting one same day of, just like you!. (and yes, I have finished my packing. Up at 3am tomorrow!)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello to @Spash007, @Katiekitten, @dclfan, @I’mwatchinguWizowski, @Dave Ber, @WDisneyW, @Ceejayzvan and @PacNWTigger! You’re all caught up and just in time for......

The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Evacuation!!

After disembarking It’s a Small World we splish-splashed back through Frontierland again. Kelly had been unable to obtain a FP for the wildest ride in the wilderness and she said she would wait for us at the exit.

“Absolutely not!” Em declared. “Take my band and ride with my mom.”

Kel attempted to protest but Em was firm. It was raining harder now and I knew our ride might be a bit painful, but also expected to laugh along with Kelly for the duration.

6A0EAAAA-EA18-47E3-B8F8-FCF224139E05.jpeg

Street rats? Drowned rats!

I was surprised how lengthy the standby line was considering the weather. We breezed by the poor folks still standing outside and were seated on the train in just a couple minutes.

Our train pulled away from the platform, rounded the curve and began the lift hill climb. I noticed a loud grinding noise as the train continued upward.

Suddenly the train came to a full and complete stop. I turned to Kelly and grinned. “This can’t be good.”

Kel whipped out her phone. “Let’s take a picture to show Em we’re trapped!”

17B4912D-B931-45CE-9DDA-2E18418FCCF6.jpeg

No sooner had she clicked the button and this happened:

7EE1FC02-1C55-472B-AB0D-7A12EC85B83F.jpeg

I don’t know who was more excited ~ Kelly, or the little boy in front of us.

4FD5A054-86B5-4093-9177-6F57CCB2155E.jpeg

Actually it was neither of them. It was ME!!!!! I was about to experience my first evacuation from BTMRR! (It wasn’t my first ride evac though.....that honor goes to Test Track.)

A CM made an announcement apologizing for the interruption and asked us to remain seated (as if standing up while constricted by a lap bar was an option) until help arrived.

I wondered how many trains were on the track....2?...3?....and was thankful we were in the cave and not stuck out in the rain. My next thought was to text Em and let her know what was going on.

But there was no cell service or wifi signal in the cave. Oh well!

Soon CMs appeared to assist us.

89130D9B-4F1E-4B00-A26A-3D0D31E03F34.jpeg

They began by asking if everyone was okay (we all were) and then explained they were going to evacuate us from the train, one car at a time.

8BB0E730-FC02-4FE5-AD6E-14B598BAADE9.jpeg

They would start with the front car and make their way to the back. Once the safety bar was released, we were to climb out and remain on the steps next to our car. When all the cars were empty the CMs would lead us in a single file line to the exit.

Climbing out of a car on an incline isn’t as easy as it looks! 🤣

49A40CF7-7C23-4A4C-A30A-2AA77240D2FF.jpeg

As we made our way down the stairs and walked along the track, Kelly commented how bummed she was that we’d been cheated out of a ride.

3C10C2EB-2BAC-44F3-9EFA-07873E1EE6AD.jpeg

But I knew that wasn’t the end of our story.

3470639D-623D-4648-950E-1D5766B0679B.jpeg

I told Kel to have her MagicBand ready, and that a CM was going to scan it and restore the Fastpass we had used for BTMRR. When Kelly lifted her sleeve, the CM noticed Kel was wearing two bands and scanned them both “so your other family member can join you.” Yay for Pixie Dust!

When we reunited with Em, she was surprised to hear we were evacuated from a train. She thought we were part of the big crowd that was exiting the indoor queue, since it hadn’t been that long since we parted ways. And she was excited to learn that the FP she’d given Kel had been gifted back to her!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
For the third time this morning we splashed through Frontierland puddles while on our way to lunch. It was clear our feet would never be dry, so why not have a little fun?

Due to the last-minute ADR grab, we weren’t able to preorder our food at Be Our Guest. The CM on the bridge gave us menus to peruse, although Em and I didn’t need to see one.

EA82579A-4906-4FE8-8B2B-1FF7053CABDD.jpeg

Em and I prepared ourselves for a long wait in the Knight Room and Library. But....more Pixie Dust....we were called over to the preorder registers since there was no line there. We skipped ahead of everyone else! :happy:

We gave Kelly a quick tour of the West Wing and Ballroom before claiming a table in the Rose Gallery.

Em and I shared our usual 🦃 and 🍟.

C0F27449-EE3B-4B3D-A62B-3595DBBA0528.jpeg

Kelly went with the French Dip. She loved it but was unable to finish all of it. Em helped!

09D8A7CF-D150-4970-8B0E-924D50999E68.jpeg

Neither Em nor Kelly ordered dessert (Strawberry Cupcake Protest Movement) but I caved.

Look how high the grey stuff towers atop my Master’s cupcake! :hungry:

0F66F23B-23B2-4448-9AA1-9EBBAA54C274.jpeg

Lunch was a success, and Kelly sent pictures to taunt her daughter. :joyfull:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Why swap a Fastpass even though we’ve already seen this attraction today?

Cause we can never have too much Haunted Mansion!

E3C7A2C3-F970-45E2-91D2-7D370D53D7F3.jpeg

Ooooh, misty fog!

C55C4646-ABA6-437E-8559-423D4EB3E6BD.jpeg

I did not 🔨 it this time.

D38F4857-BE0F-4516-9BCF-48DE6007F779.jpeg

Our Doombuggies briefly stopped in front of the Hitchhiking Ghost mirrors.

9321A084-12DF-4E21-A895-64FF6DA59A46.jpeg

There was a Photopass CM at the exit. We put her to work.

A05E1B8D-C01C-4499-841C-621B2B8E4FBE.jpeg

9AF85106-0EE0-4353-BF59-D81CFAF0889A.jpeg

BF445873-E3D6-4F18-9E79-DEFD9801A8B0.jpeg

Why did she pose us hitchhiking left when the ghost is hitchhiking right?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
There was a noticeable increase in park crowd size when we left Haunted Mansion and returned to Fantasyland. Kel had never been Unda the Sea. The wait was posted 30 minutes but it couldn’t possibly be that long, right?

9067E66B-D1CF-448E-88C9-5DC019B91179.jpeg

Wrong. Though there weren’t a lot of people in the standby queue, there WERE a lot of people with Fastpasses. But our constant chick chatter made the time pass quickly.

90AA68C1-763B-4E82-9300-CB7730B5A9D2.jpeg

Em must have told Kelly about waving to Ariel and Eric at the end. Both of them did, but I wasn’t fast enough to document it with a picture.

Speaking of fast, Em and I were constantly left in the dust by Kel as we moved from attraction to attraction. Both Em and I keep a brisk pace when park touring but we had intentionally slowed down today for our friend. Kel had a hip replacement a few years ago (and is due to have the other hip replaced) and we didn’t know if she could keep up with us.
Well the joke was on us! Several times we turned around expecting to find Kelly behind us, only to see that she was actually many feet ahead. She was quite proficient in darting through crowds. We started calling her the Energizer Bunny. (There’s hope for you, @JenniferS! :happy: )

Kel made it to Space Mountain before Em and I did. She had a FP which she offered to Em. Em went off with Kelly’s band while we waited for her in the gift store at the exit.

C4B0568D-741D-4902-A845-8087F7E38D60.jpeg

Then we went for a spin on the Peoplemover.

98895012-F2AE-472E-89B2-078144AFEB11.jpeg

Kelly remembered the Carousel of Progress but could not recall the last time she was inside. The doors for the next show had just opened and our Energizer Bunny raced up the ramp and secured us seats in the first row.

I had seen a recent photo of the girl turning laundry who had lost her hand. :jawdrop: Apparently she wasn’t maimed for long.

9A064AAE-42AE-495F-BCA1-9D726D7E2AA3.jpeg

Here is a cat I never noticed until today! Proves that there’s always something new for veterans to discover.

068D353E-5D91-41B1-A31B-B9A85B75DCA5.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom