A Flap Over 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'

orlpassholder

Original Poster
Greetings all from the Geek Lab reuter is carrying this story

persoanlly I think this is alittle late in the opinion of a lawsuit

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South African lawyers are suing U.S. entertainment giant Walt Disney Co for infringement of copyright on "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," the most popular song to emerge from Africa, the lawyers said on Friday.

If Disney loses, South African proceeds from its trademarks -- including Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck -- could be seized by the courts, lawyers representing relatives of the song's composer said.

The lilting song, initially called "Mbube," earned an estimated $15 million in royalties since it was written by Zulu migrant worker Solomon Linda in 1939, and featured in Walt Disney's "Lion King" movies.

However, Linda's impoverished family have only received about $15,000, the lawyers said.

Disney executives in South Africa were not immediately available for comment.

Linda sold the worldwide copyright for "Mbube" to a local firm, but under British laws in effect at the time, those rights should have reverted to his heirs 25 years after his death in 1962, copyright lawyer Owen Dean said.

This means Linda's surviving three daughters and 10 grandchildren were entitled to a share of royalties from the song, which has since been recorded by at least 150 musicians.

"We are claiming ten million rand ($1.6 million) in damages from Disney at the moment," Dean told reporters. "The court attached use of Disney trademarks in South Africa to the case last week. We believe our legal position is very sound."

The court will issue a summons to Walt Disney in Los Angeles early next week.

If the case is successful, legal action may also be launched against Disney and other companies in the United Kingdom or Australia, where British copyright laws would have applied, Dean added.

It would also have widespread implications for other South African musicians, authors and artists who may have sold their rights without being aware of their entitlements. "The family are entitled to royalties. There has also been a misappropriation of South African culture -- the song is thought to be American," Dean said.

Linda's grandson Zathele Madonsela, 16, told reporters the case was very important for his family, who live in poverty in the Johannesburg township of Soweto.

"Life is difficult, we are really struggling," he said.

Executors of the family's estate are also seeking a further 6 million rand damages from three local companies who have benefited from income either from the "Lion King" films or the song.

The Mbube song was adapted by U.S. folk singer Pete Seeger, who called it "Wimoweh" as he misheard its Zulu lyrics. U.S. songwriter George David Weiss rewrote the song as "The Lion Sleeps Tonight."

netenyahoo

The song is like 10 seconds of the film. I don't think that is worth 10 million. Also the movie came out in 1994, it is now 2004. Is it because of the DVD that they now want money? People need to chill out.

barnum42

I saw a documentary, probably over a year ago regarding this song and the composer. From what I recall there was a person campaigning on behalf of the family of the composer to get some deserved royalties from the international use of the song.

It did not concentrate on Disney, but more on the various artists who have covered the song. The music publishers who own the copyright did not give Linda the dues he was entitled to and this was what the reason for the campaign.

Whether this is now being miss-reported in the story found by orlpassholder, or just another case of people getting greedy I do not know.

DonaldDuck

I like this line from the article:

orlpassholder said:
The court will issue a summons to Walt Disney in Los Angeles early next week.

I know what they mean, but it's worded a bit odd. I don't actually think that Walt will be able to appear in court.

netenyahoo

DonaldDuck said:
I like this line from the article:

I know what they mean, but it's worded a bit odd. I don't actually think that Walt will be able to appear in court.

Maybe they can unfreeze him in time! ;)

Buzzforprez

Hey, I used to sing this song when I was a kid. Where's my money!!!!!!!! Think that anyone from Africa would be happy. After all, Disney did do that flick about their bobsled team right! :lol:

Suck it up and move on.

Sherm00

Greed pure and simple, why isn;t there lawsuits against every other composer and such that recorded the song, beleive me it's on more kids cd then you can count. But go after disney because they have the money, please. :mad:

DarkMeasures

I would settle, come to a good agreement for them to live a good life but still maintain dignity. Maybe give the family a royalty for each DVD and Ticket sold.

barnum42

Sherm00 said:
Greed pure and simple, why isn;t there lawsuits against every other composer and such that recorded the song, beleive me it's on more kids cd then you can count. But go after disney because they have the money, please. :mad:
Probably because the family concerned were under the thumb of Aparteid (sp) until very recently. I don't know about this latest move, but originally all they wanted was a fair share from the publisher of the royalties that were paid for the song. At least enough to get them out of the shack they were living in to a decent house.

I guess now some blood s__________g laywer can smell the money and is going for the big bucks.

Figment1986

Can't disney use this if it was from lion king...

Music: up to 10%, but no more than 30 seconds, this includes MP3 files from the internet
(Web class, taught copywrite.... Any other place where disney used this song??)

fngoofy

orlpassholder said:
"We are claiming ten million rand ($1.6 million) in damages from Disney at the moment," Dean told reporters. "The court attached use of Disney trademarks in South Africa to the case last week. We believe our legal position is very sound."

Linda's grandson Zathele Madonsela, 16, told reporters the case was very important for his family, who live in poverty in the Johannesburg township of Soweto.

"Life is difficult, we are really struggling," he said.

Executors of the family's estate are also seeking a further 6 million rand damages from three local companies who have benefited from income either from the "Lion King" films or the song.

The Mbube song was adapted by U.S. folk singer Pete Seeger, who called it "Wimoweh" as he misheard its Zulu lyrics. U.S. songwriter George David Weiss rewrote the song as "The Lion Sleeps Tonight."

I've seen comments that this is greed on the family's part.
While I am sure there are more facts to come out in this case, I think that most of us would be up in arms if our grandfather's were the ones that had writen the song.

If it was your grandfather, and Mercedes was making a mint off of a popular ad featuring his song, you bet your bippy that you would feel due your fair share under the law. After all, your family would be the true owner of the rights.

I just think it is helpful for the big picture to look at things from as many perspectives as possible.

Kopp8699

::: cough cough bull cough cough :::

Sorry.... got a bit of a cold :D but seriously.... It's sad how greedy people can get. People can sue for just about anything and win. Lets all go to McDonald's and have breakfast tomorrow... Hot coffee anyone? :brick:
:lookaroun

TURKEY

They are asking for $1.6 million.

If I were Disney, I'd just pay the thing. You can get some goodwill from it, especially if Disney were to donate to a charity for poverished (is it a word) people in South Africa and other poor African nations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom