A First Timer’s Review of Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
Great review OP. This will be first rime for my kids and wife and I have not been in ages (me was 1990 when called MGM) .......With the large lines etc due to lack of rides I can still make this a whole day park, and keep kids interested? We plan to ride most stuff but maybe skip a few due to height/age. Our shortest and youngest is 6 and about 47". He might squeak to 48 by the trip.

My hope is we get the big stuff (MMRR, all of TSL) and another ride or two and then some shows, a shop or so, and one sit down -aiming for Sci Fi. If Fantasmic is back in time that would do it.
Your plan sounds realistic, though toy story land was horrifically packed when I was there so you may not get on all of toy story land’s rides. Star tours is also very good, thanks to galaxies edge, it has relatively low wait times throughout the day. Also if you’re staying at a hotel, and if you use individual lightning Lane at the moment opens at 7 AM, you could get on Rise. And by the way if you guys can’t get on enough attractions, you can entertain the kids by having them watch a state show in the animation courtyard, on Hollywood Boulevard or take a break inside Walt Disney presents (A great indoor air condition space with interactive exhibits)

Last edited:

DisneyfanMA

Your plan sounds realistic, though toy story land was horrifically packed when I was there so you may not get on all of toy story land’s rides. Star tours is also very good, thanks to galaxies edge, it has relatively low wait times throughout the day. Also if you’re staying at a hotel, and if you use individual lightning Lane at the moment opens at 7 AM, you could get on Rise. And by the way if you guys can’t get on enough attractions, you can entertain the kids by having them watch a state show in the animation courtyard, on Hollywood Boulevard or take a break inside Walt Disney presents (A great indoor air condition space with interactive exhibits)

so update, I got Sci-Fi for lunch (YES!!!!!) and I plan to try this: buy the ILL for Rise (may not be avail at 9am - I'm off property). and use my Genie+ ideally for the first avail SDD slot, being ready and booking it at 7am.

Shockingly Fantasmic is STILL up in the air and now the hurricane could delay it further. HS day is now locked and not changing, Nov 7.

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
so update, I got Sci-Fi for lunch (YES!!!!!) and I plan to try this: buy the ILL for Rise (may not be avail at 9am - I'm off property). and use my Genie+ ideally for the first avail SDD slot, being ready and booking it at 7am.

Shockingly Fantasmic is STILL up in the air and now the hurricane could delay it further. HS day is now locked and not changing, Nov 7.
https://.com/2022/10/breaking-fantasmic-returning-to-disneys-hollywood-studios-on-november-3/ You got lucky, Fantasmic is showing on the day of your trip.

RSoxNo1

I'm not telling any secrets here, but as of this moment, Disney has 5 rides with wait times over 2 hours, and four of them are in DHS. This is such a regular occurrence that it's reasonable to say the park probably needs at least 3 more rides.

The good thing is, the additions to the park don't necessarily have to be major E-tickets. A flat ride in Toy Story Land, a Mermaid level dark ride in the Animation Courtyard area and a similar level ride elsewhere in the park would do wonders. It further reinforces how poor of a decision it was to replace Great Movie Ride instead of building Runaway Railway elsewhere.

Some marginally more expensive, but ultimately cheaper in the long run decision making could have been as follows:

• Toy Story Land integrates at least one more flat ride and/or a Speedway style attraction that shares part of the Slinky Dog footprint
  • Great Movie Ride received an update where a couple of scenes were swapped out
  • Runaway Railway was built elsewhere in the park (say Animation Courtyard)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom