A First Timer’s Review of California Adventure

EPCOTCenterLover

I also agree with those mentioning a different perspective for those of us who also visit WDW. Once I visited WDW I realized how nice current DCA really is in comparison (however, same could not be said for DCA 1.0). Sure, I wouldn't hold DCA next to MK or Epcot in terms of atmosphere, but I certainly would hold it higher than DHS... by a mile! And in terms of attractions, I would say DCA has a much better verity of attractions than all of the parks but MK.

For those who have only visited the DLR I still find those individuals, albeit much less than before, who still compare DCA with DL for some odd reason rather than looking at the resort as a whole. (Not sure what it is, maybe some people only have the chance to visit one or the other.) But I believe when some of these individuals finally visit WDW, they may realize how nice DCA actually is, especially for being on such a small footprint.

Is DCA still a half way park? Yes. But as a park hopper I kinda lump both parks together and see them as one huge super park with a hot and barren waste land (Esplanade) between the two. Another plus over WDW.
I'm glad that works for you. Really! I wish I felt that same way, but I'm finding DCA a bigger disappointment year after year.

MagicWDI

I'm glad that works for you. Really! I wish I felt that same way, but I'm finding DCA a bigger disappointment year after year.
That's disappointing and sorry you feel that way. Don't get me wrong. There are also several aspects of DCA I find very disappointing. I am still very much against Pixar Pier. I believe they ruined a good enhancement they did to the original attempt. I also miss the Twilight Zone theme on ToT, even though I do find GotG much more fun.

I also believe they should've built the Avengers e-ticket with AC or at least opened within a year of the land. Web Slingers is a decent supporting attraction, but not an anchor. But I have no doubts an e-ticket will be built and I am also fairly confident the Marvel IP will make it's way into Hollywood Land in time and eventually take over. Hollywood Land as we know it has no future potential, and in the eyes of Chapek isn't making money or promoting anything (other words for making money).

There are also many aspects I wish were different. I do like to spend much more of my day at DL over DCA, almost 3 to 1.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Going to Disney world sort of changed my opinion on DCA. It feels like there's not much there but if you compare it to, say, Hollywood studios or animal kingdom, it's overflowing with attractions.

Minority opinion here, but I think DHS is a million times better than DCA in it's current state.

DHS is the embodiment of everything that made DCA so good, before it was ruined again by dirtbag chapek.

RnR > chase a baby
ToT > Mission Cheapout
MV3D > Philharmagic
Toy Story Land > Marvel Land
Star Wars Galaxies Edge > Pixar Pier

So the only great things still at DCA include Cars Land (and all 3 rides) and Soarin over California (not SatW). An argument could be made for Grizzly River but it's barebones (gorgeous scenery though) and Goofy Sky School, which is not special no matter how you cut it.

Give DHS a water ride in place of Indy and you could have a seriously good park.

RollerCoaster

So the only great things still at DCA include Cars Land (and all 3 rides) and Soarin over California (not SatW). An argument could be made for Grizzly River but it's barebones (gorgeous scenery though) and Goofy Sky School, which is not special no matter how you cut it.
Grizzly River is barebones. Clearly, you haven't ridden very many rapids ride if you feel that way. Grizzly is easily the second-best Rapids Ride in the country.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Grizzly River is barebones. Clearly, you haven't ridden very many rapids ride if you feel that way. Grizzly is easily the second-best Rapids Ride in the country.

Compared to the Shanghai one it is. For a Disney attraction, it is. You're right I haven't experienced others. Other than select parts of the scenery, what makes it so special?

RollerCoaster

I would say Knotts' raft ride is better than DCA. Better themed at the very least. A rare instance of Knotts doing something better than Disney.
I'm willing to give Knott's a lot of credit for the upgraded version, but it still falls short compared to others and especially when you consider the ride experience.

RollerCoaster

Compared to the Shanghai one it is. For a Disney attraction, it is. You're right I haven't experienced others. Other than select parts of the scenery, what makes it so special?

For one the ride system alone is awesome. It's a fast-moving river and has two drops, which aren't common in most rapids rides. There are essentially four sections to the ride. Slow-paced start and lift hill, top of the lift to the first drop, midsection to the second drop, and second drop to the end.

The scenery and theme are impressive. Examples are the leaking pipes on the lift hill, the waterfalls descending down the rockwork from all sides on the drops, and the geysers in the final section. The pace of the ride makes it hard to have elaborate scenes with animatronics because you pass by so fast, but the story is not lost by the speed.

You have to also take into account the entire attraction, not just from the rider's perspective. Walk around the walkways. The massive waterfalls that descend the mountain on the east and west sides are part of the experience. The giant water wheel, seen when walking from Paradise Gardens Park towards the attraction. The queue line overlooking the load. The observation deck for the last drop. Disney was also very clever by incorporating the necessary water storage pond for the ride system into the Pacific Warf water feature.

RollerCoaster

what do you think the best river rapids ride in the country is?
Popeye and Pluto's Bilge-Rat Barges at Universal's Island of Adventure is easily the best in the country. Themeing, special effects, ride experience, and ride system are unmatched. If you're a fan of this type of attraction then you likely know all about this ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom