A First Timer’s Review of California Adventure

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
A First Timer’s Review of California Adventure​

Despite visiting Disneyland multiple times, I had not visited Disney California Adventure until recently. I found this historic and romanticized version of California to be a theme park gem, despite its horrendous past. I liked this park because of its wide assortment of attractions, its great environment, delectable food and nighttime atmosphere. I will be going through each of these lands clockwise from the entrance (but I will group Grizzly peak with Pacific Wharf and the Wine terrace, and Pixar Pier with Paradise Gardens Park).

Buena Vista Street
Although I was not expecting too much from this land, I was easily lost in this are during the afternoon as I found this historic version of Los Angeles in the 1920s to be a very nice opening land for a park dedicated to California, and is far nicer than many of the areas I have been to in modern LA. I loved this area’s shops for their retro vibe, its instrumental jazz background music, and how this place authentically recreated the lost world of 1920s LA. And even though the Red Car was not running when I was there, I certainly loved a photo from the period of a red car crossing a street. This land also has quite the emphasis on Oswald the Lucky Rabbit (love his sundae), an early character of Walt’s who was taken from him by Universal who distributed his Oswald cartoons. Many tributes to Oswald can be found in the land, so much so I dare say that Oswald is the mascot of this area.

Hollywood Land
I knew early on that this land was originally supposed to be a set of Hollywood in the original DCA, and I was expecting that because I heard the 2012 makeover didn’t do too much to this area, but I liked this area more than I thought I would. Mickey’s Philharmagic that plays there is a great place to get off your feet and into the AC during a hot summer day, and many other nice areas to sit down in the shade. The area has a nice atmosphere that feels like Hollywood during the 30s, but I would love this area to have its own E-ticket, now that Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout! has been “moved” to Avengers Campus.

Avengers Campus
After the initial craze over this area, and the massive marketing campaign for it, I decided that this tiny area is the largest cop out in Disney parks in the last decade for its unimaginative architecture, its lousy environment, and will we please have something better than Web-slingers? The only thing that is great there is the Guardians ride, which I find to be quite good though I wish the show scenes would be longer. Web-Slingers: A Spider-Man Adventure is a cheap cop out, despite its new technology, feels like an updated version of Toy Story: Midway Mania! that feels even more like a video game than the 14 year old attraction. WS lacks emotional depth, and its story feels like something I could’ve concocted in less than ten seconds. The land itself lacks emotion as well, as this is the only land where I have felt no sort of emotional depth, even though the area has some of my favorite Marvel characters. The campus doesn’t feel good because it does not take you anywhere special, like Wakanda or Asgard, instead leaving the guests in modern day California to enjoy a glorified meet and greet, which looks and feels like an office complex.

Cars Land
As a child, my favorite Disney film was Cars. I expected Cars land to be the best thing at DCA because of great reviews. This land exceeded all of my expectations because of its painstaking attention to how Radiator Springs is laid out, the gigantic rockwork (the largest of any at a US Disney theme park), its many references to the Cars cartoons, and its vibrant neon which brings the land to life. The main attraction, Radiator Springs Racers, is a storytelling masterpiece, for its effective use of an original storyline and elements from the movie and animatronics which bring the characters from the film to life (Dadgum!). I cite this ride as the park’s “thesis” attraction, meaning that this ride represents what the park is about as a whole. Now before you start saying that Radiator Springs is a town in Arizona, I have taken many road trips through the Californian desert, and the queue for Racers feels a lot like one of the places that I would have passed through in the desert, because of its wide variety of desert life and the “abandoned” buildings which appear as if pulled from a ghost town on the interstate. Moreover, this land feels like a smaller and more charming version of a place like Bakersfield, San Bernardino, or Barstow because of the architecture and the desert environment, complete with sand. The land really comes to life at night, with its neon lighting, and the “Sh-Boom” moment, where the neon is lit to the sound of the film’s doo-wop song. It’s quite the way to end a day here at the park, especially if you’ve seen and enjoyed Cars.

Pixar Pier and Paradise Gardens Park
While I am not a fan of amusement park style areas at Disney parks (Dinoland), I liked this area because of its Victorian aesthetic, and because it is home to the best food in the park in my opinion. Toy Story Midway Mania! fits perfectly into the Victorian aesthetic of the area, and even though the technology is very old, this ride is a lot more fun than Web-Slingers because it appears more work was put into the details leading up to the screen section of the ride and makes far better use by having the main characters from the films it’s based on in the ride front and center. However, the Incredicoaster looked like a cheap overlay, but the roller coaster contained enough thrills to keep me from feeling repulsed by the hilariously cheap looking mannequins of the Incredibles. The land also fails to properly block out the outside world because if you stand in certain areas of the land, you can see parts of the outside world such as buildings and telephone lines. Despite all of this, the land has some of the best food in the entire park such as the food at Lamplight Lounge’s Boardwalk dining and Adorable Snowman lemon soft serve ice cream which is this park’s is equivalent of the dole whip, or the citrus swirl, which I like because of its strong lemon flavor.

Grizzly Peak, Pacific Wharf, and Wine Country Trattoria
Grizzly Peak is an area meant to look like a national forest, such as Big Sur, during the 1950s. The area is home to an exclusive entrance for Disney’s Grand Californian Lodge, Grizzly Rapids, and Soarin’ Around the World. This area is nicely forested, and has some references to the time period (1950s) it is located in. Further down is the Wine Country Trattoria, which is home to a Sonoma-looking winery, but is still good for everyone in the family because it has lots of seating and is centrally located. Pacific Wharf is a nice area, with a diverse array of food from American-Chinese, to Mexican, to food that may be found on a Northern Californian wharf such as chowder and San Francisco’s Ghirardelli's.

Overall, I give Disney California Adventure Park a 94% for its great environment, eclectic assortment of attractions, great nighttime, and food. Even though there are a few things that are not very good, they can be easily ignored. The next time DCA has a new great attraction, I will be coming back to see what magic Imagineering has cooked up this time.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

1628829728332.png

Epct82

A First Timer’s Review of California Adventure​

Despite visiting Disneyland multiple times, I had not visited Disney California Adventure until recently. I found this historic and romanticized version of California to be a theme park gem, despite its horrendous past. I liked this park because of its wide assortment of attractions, its great environment, delectable food and nighttime atmosphere. I will be going through each of these lands clockwise from the entrance (but I will group Grizzly peak with Pacific Wharf and the Wine terrace, and Pixar Pier with Paradise Gardens Park).

Buena Vista Street
Although I was not expecting too much from this land, I was easily lost in this are during the afternoon as I found this historic version of Los Angeles in the 1920s to be a very nice opening land for a park dedicated to California, and is far nicer than many of the areas I have been to in modern LA. I loved this area’s shops for their retro vibe, its instrumental jazz background music, and how this place authentically recreated the lost world of 1920s LA. And even though the Red Car was not running when I was there, I certainly loved a photo from the period of a red car crossing a street. This land also has quite the emphasis on Oswald the Lucky Rabbit (love his sundae), an early character of Walt’s who was taken from him by Universal who distributed his Oswald cartoons. Many tributes to Oswald can be found in the land, so much so I dare say that Oswald is the mascot of this area.

Hollywood Land
I knew early on that this land was originally supposed to be a set of Hollywood in the original DCA, and I was expecting that because I heard the 2012 makeover didn’t do too much to this area, but I liked this area more than I thought I would. Mickey’s Philharmagic that plays there is a great place to get off your feet and into the AC during a hot summer day, and many other nice areas to sit down in the shade. The area has a nice atmosphere that feels like Hollywood during the 30s, but I would love this area to have its own E-ticket, now that Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout! has been “moved” to Avengers Campus.

Avengers Campus
After the initial craze over this area, and the massive marketing campaign for it, I decided that this tiny area is the largest cop out in Disney parks in the last decade for its unimaginative architecture, its lousy environment, and will we please have something better than Web-slingers? The only thing that is great there is the Guardians ride, which I find to be quite good though I wish the show scenes would be longer. Web-Slingers: A Spider-Man Adventure is a cheap cop out, despite its new technology, feels like an updated version of Toy Story: Midway Mania! that feels even more like a video game than the 14 year old attraction. WS lacks emotional depth, and its story feels like something I could’ve concocted in less than ten seconds. The land itself lacks emotion as well, as this is the only land where I have felt no sort of emotional depth, even though the area has some of my favorite Marvel characters. The campus doesn’t feel good because it does not take you anywhere special, like Wakanda or Asgard, instead leaving the guests in modern day California to enjoy a glorified meet and greet, which looks and feels like an office complex.

Cars Land
As a child, my favorite Disney film was Cars. I expected Cars land to be the best thing at DCA because of great reviews. This land exceeded all of my expectations because of its painstaking attention to how Radiator Springs is laid out, the gigantic rockwork (the largest of any at a US Disney theme park), its many references to the Cars cartoons, and its vibrant neon which brings the land to life. The main attraction, Radiator Springs Racers, is a storytelling masterpiece, for its effective use of an original storyline and elements from the movie and animatronics which bring the characters from the film to life (Dadgum!). I cite this ride as the park’s “thesis” attraction, meaning that this ride represents what the park is about as a whole. Now before you start saying that Radiator Springs is a town in Arizona, I have taken many road trips through the Californian desert, and the queue for Racers feels a lot like one of the places that I would have passed through in the desert, because of its wide variety of desert life and the “abandoned” buildings which appear as if pulled from a ghost town on the interstate. Moreover, this land feels like a smaller and more charming version of a place like Bakersfield, San Bernardino, or Barstow because of the architecture and the desert environment, complete with sand. The land really comes to life at night, with its neon lighting, and the “Sh-Boom” moment, where the neon is lit to the sound of the film’s doo-wop song. It’s quite the way to end a day here at the park, especially if you’ve seen and enjoyed Cars.

Pixar Pier and Paradise Gardens Park
While I am not a fan of amusement park style areas at Disney parks (Dinoland), I liked this area because of its Victorian aesthetic, and because it is home to the best food in the park in my opinion. Toy Story Midway Mania! fits perfectly into the Victorian aesthetic of the area, and even though the technology is very old, this ride is a lot more fun than Web-Slingers because it appears more work was put into the details leading up to the screen section of the ride and makes far better use by having the main characters from the films it’s based on in the ride front and center. However, the Incredicoaster looked like a cheap overlay, but the roller coaster contained enough thrills to keep me from feeling repulsed by the hilariously cheap looking mannequins of the Incredibles. The land also fails to properly block out the outside world because if you stand in certain areas of the land, you can see parts of the outside world such as buildings and telephone lines. Despite all of this, the land has some of the best food in the entire park such as the food at Lamplight Lounge’s Boardwalk dining and Adorable Snowman lemon soft serve ice cream which is this park’s is equivalent of the dole whip, or the citrus swirl, which I like because of its strong lemon flavor.

Grizzly Peak, Pacific Wharf, and Wine Country Trattoria
Grizzly Peak is an area meant to look like a national forest, such as Big Sur, during the 1950s. The area is home to an exclusive entrance for Disney’s Grand Californian Lodge, Grizzly Rapids, and Soarin’ Around the World. This area is nicely forested, and has some references to the time period (1950s) it is located in. Further down is the Wine Country Trattoria, which is home to a Sonoma-looking winery, but is still good for everyone in the family because it has lots of seating and is centrally located. Pacific Wharf is a nice area, with a diverse array of food from American-Chinese, to Mexican, to food that may be found on a Northern Californian wharf such as chowder and San Francisco’s Ghirardelli's.

Overall, I give Disney California Adventure Park a 94% for its great environment, eclectic assortment of attractions, great nighttime, and food. Even though there are a few things that are not very good, they can be easily ignored. The next time DCA has a new great attraction, I will be coming back to see what magic Imagineering has cooked up this time.
Welcome, and very nice review. I totally agree with Cars Land exceeding all expectations, especially the land at night. It's one of my top-2 or 3 favorite lands on Disney property anywhere, and Cars itself isn't even one of my top favorite animated films.

Jae Sea

Agree with most of this except I would call Galaxy's Edge worse than Avengers Campus. At least with AC, you get the iconic music playing in the land while you walk around and you see the main characters walking around that are the core of the MCU. Thor, BW, BP, Iron Man's voice calling into BW to see if she needs help during the choreographed fights, Spiderman swinging around, etc.

Galaxy's Edge has practically none of the arguably the most iconic movie soundtrack of all time, and instead we get sound effects and droid noises. No Han, Luke, Leia, Vader, Yoda or any of the characters that matter in the Franchise.

This is the difference between a competent head in Feige compared to a disaster at the helm like Kathleen Kennedy that doesn't even understand the franchise she's in charge of and keeps trying to reinvent the wheel rather than giving the fans what they want.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Agree with most of this except I would call Galaxy's Edge worse than Avengers Campus. At least with AC, you get the iconic music playing in the land while you walk around and you see the main characters walking around that are the core of the MCU. Thor, BW, BP, Iron Man's voice calling into BW to see if she needs help during the choreographed fights, Spiderman swinging around, etc.

Galaxy's Edge has practically none of the arguably the most iconic movie soundtrack of all time, and instead we get sound effects and droid noises. No Han, Luke, Leia, Vader, Yoda or any of the characters that matter in the Franchise.

This is the difference between a competent head in Feige compared to a disaster at the helm like Kathleen Kennedy that doesn't even understand the franchise she's in charge of and keeps trying to reinvent the wheel rather than giving the fans what they want.
Perfectly said.

josh2000

Going to Disney world sort of changed my opinion on DCA. It feels like there's not much there but if you compare it to, say, Hollywood studios or animal kingdom, it's overflowing with attractions.
Disneyland locals are spoiled in that way. The two California parks are filled with attractions. The standards are much higher at Disneyland. If you go to WDW, all four parks will fail to live up to the Disneyland standard in terms of attractions and things to do.

Tamandua

Disneyland locals are spoiled in that way. The two California parks are filled with attractions. The standards are much higher at Disneyland. If you go to WDW, all four parks will fail to live up to the Disneyland standard in terms of attractions and things to do.
I met some die hard Disney World fans at WDW. They were APs and made frequent trips to WDW from out of state. They said they thought the Disneyland Resort was a lot better than WDW, but it wasn't in a reasonable driving distance like WDW. Everything at DLR is within a few minutes walk of everything else, whereas WDW is not that easy to get around. The convenience of having a similar number of attractions as WDW so close together is hard to appreciate until you go to WDW and realize just how impractical Park hopping can be in comparison.

LittleMerman

I've only been to DCA once but I LOVED it. Part of it was probably my low expectations and part of it was that I genuinely enjoyed the rides, atmosphere, entertainment, and food. I don't understand the hate for it. It's not the most exciting theme but it's fun for what it is.

J4546

I agree with most of this review, except I think Spiderman ride is good for what it is and I like avengers land, especially with all the character interactions. Also, my fave part of the park is the soarin/grizzly peak area which you barely covered lol, I think its wonderfully themed and has 2 amazing rides.

Though as a whole CA is still not a full day park for me, not even close. but its a great sister park to DL

aliceismad

I enjoyed your review. Thanks for writing it.

(Also, your note about Cars being your favorite childhood Disney film made me realize it came out 15 years ago, and that I am older than I want to believe I am.)

Cars always felt, to me, like a bit of a love letter to the American West and the Route 66 era. Cars Land captures the feel of that movie and its intent more than any other land Disney has built in America in a long time. It has a sense of magic.

How did you like the Grizzly Peak area? I've heard a lot of critiques that it is lazily themed, but I find it one of the most enjoyable areas of DCA.

MagicWDI

Very nice review and I agree with many of what was said.

I do have to disagree with the comparison between Web Slingers and Midway Mania. I find Midway Mania to be a bit lackluster and I find myself not even riding the attraction much anymore. As a matter of fact, I'm sitting in my hotel room right now, resting after a 3 day trip to the parks, and I just realized we didn't even ride Midway Mania. We didn't even think of it the entire time, let alone ride it. Yet, we rode Web Slingers twice and loved it! So did all the other guests around us while on the attraction based on their reaction. For the type of ride experience/ride system the two share I find it way more enjoyable than Midway Mania. Maybe it's the better use of technology or the feeling that Midway Mania is more geared to the younger crowds. Maybe I enjoy the action and adventure vibe found on Web Slingers, or even the corny comedy that mimics that in the films. Whatever it is, I had way more fun on Web Slingers. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Midway Mania is bad at all and still find it enjoyable for what it is. I just don't find the urge to ride it much anymore.

I also agree with those mentioning a different perspective for those of us who also visit WDW. Once I visited WDW I realized how nice current DCA really is in comparison (however, same could not be said for DCA 1.0). Sure, I wouldn't hold DCA next to MK or Epcot in terms of atmosphere, but I certainly would hold it higher than DHS... by a mile! And in terms of attractions, I would say DCA has a much better verity of attractions than all of the parks but MK.

For those who have only visited the DLR I still find those individuals, albeit much less than before, who still compare DCA with DL for some odd reason rather than looking at the resort as a whole. (Not sure what it is, maybe some people only have the chance to visit one or the other.) But I believe when some of these individuals finally visit WDW, they may realize how nice DCA actually is, especially for being on such a small footprint.

Is DCA still a half way park? Yes. But as a park hopper I kinda lump both parks together and see them as one huge super park with a hot and barren waste land (Esplanade) between the two. Another plus over WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom