A few things some posters on this message board are WRONG about (in my opinion)...and a few you were spot on about...

WEDYENSID

Can I get some examples of the "less popular rides"? Because even then I don't even remember walking on any.. maybe just my luck.
Actually it was more than half the rides. Me and the kids have brought home 100-150 paper FP from our early trips, just to have as souvenirs -Most rides were 10 minutes or less, so we have all the mountains, space, BTM, Splash, Test track, Soarin, P/pan, (and many more)... Most every good ride at Disney, we have unused FP that we never even needed to use... Those were the days...

Slikke

Original Poster
Thanks for posting and glad you had fun. One thing I disagree with slightly is we go every year in Sept or Oct and this year was very quiet. We arrived on Sept 11th and left Sept 26th and it felt the quietest Sept for well over 10 years. We did the MK on the 13th and arrived at 8am and did everything we wanted with no more than 10 minute waits (Speedway, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Big Thunder, Mansion, Mermaid, Philharmagic, Space Mountain, COP, People Mover and Monsters Inc). Even towards the end of our trip, whilst busier it was still quiet for September.
That's what I had seen based on Queue times too.. But for whatever reason, we arrived on Sept 28th and left yesterday (10/6) and it was noticeably packed... Even the cast members seemed surprised a little at the crowds... Naturally they said it was because of Galaxy's Edge but I know for a fact that wasn't the reason... (Galaxy's Edge really is cool for those that haven't been.. We didn't even ride Smuggler's Run since kids are small, but we had a blast in that land... )

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Going in early May since 2007, we were used to "walking on" most of the less popular rides -

Maybe you just aren't using FP+ to its full potential then and that's why you think its a negative.
I know what attractions I want to RD and what attractions I want to FP+ and when and then I also know how to easily get FP+'s for more attractions after and never wait long for the non headliners.

mergatroid

That's what I had seen based on Queue times too.. But for whatever reason, we arrived on Sept 28th and left yesterday (10/6) and it was noticeably packed... Even the cast members seemed surprised a little at the crowds... Naturally they said it was because of Galaxy's Edge but I know for a fact that wasn't the reason... (Galaxy's Edge really is cool for those that haven't been.. We didn't even ride Smuggler's Run since kids are small, but we had a blast in that land... )

You arrived just 2 days after we left. Perhaps crowds increased dramatically very quickly, I'm hoping it wasn't people knowing I was there from 11-26 Sept and staying away for that reason :oops:

Once again though, glad you enjoyed it :cool:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Actually it was more than half the rides. Me and the kids have brought home 100-150 paper FP from our early trips, just to have as souvenirs -Most rides were 10 minutes or less, so we have all the mountains, space, BTM, Splash, Test track, Soarin, P/pan, (and many more)... Most every good ride at Disney, we have unused FP that we never even needed to use... Those were the days...

That always gets me.
If "those were the days" then it tells me you're no longer getting the same value so why not try somewhere else?

I started feeling that way about Universal so I stopped going.

epcotisbest

You arrived just 2 days after we left. Perhaps crowds increased dramatically very quickly, I'm hoping it wasn't people knowing I was there from 11-26 Sept and staying away for that reason :oops:

Probably not staying away because you were there, but instead waiting until you left before going. :hilarious:

Slikke

Original Poster

Some Cast Members said it could be people returning after rebooking from Dorian... That seems plausible... I'm pretty sure it wasn't JUST you though.. :)

We did have a great trip, now I"m ready for a relaxing vacation.. :p

Hope yours was great too!

mergatroid

Probably not staying away because you were there, but instead waiting until you left before going. :hilarious:

Every year you avoid me like the plague and make some excuse about arriving the following month. I know the real reason is you agreed to buy me an ice cream and that potential $5 outlay is weighing on your mind :p

One year my friend, one year ;)

KevinPage

Some Cast Members said it could be people returning after rebooking from Dorian... That seems plausible... I'm pretty sure it wasn't JUST you though.. :)

We did have a great trip, now I"m ready for a relaxing vacation.. :p

Hope yours was great too!

It has been slightly less chaotic than usual these past few months (tail end of summer into fall) but it varies by day and by park and I routinely see reports of people saying “X park is slammed today” when we were there the day before and it was manageable.

Weather has been unreasonably hot/humid this year (almost feels like it gets worse every year) which can keep some locals away 😎

WEDYENSID

That always gets me.
If "those were the days" then it tells me you're no longer getting the same value so why not try somewhere else?

I started feeling that way about Universal so I stopped going.
Has nothing to do with value, just don't like waiting in longer lines. I vacation at other places besides WDW, if that makes you feel better?

ryguy

Not a hateful post here... Just got back from my first trip in 12 years, and my wife and kids first trip ever.

I got a ton of great info from WDW Magic and I"m so glad I found this wonderful site.

I noticed a lot of negativity about many things over the last couple of months and I think some of it (not all) is misaligned, so here is a relatively brief list of things that seem to be incorrect from my recent experience..

1.) By far the biggest thing -- ATTENDANCE IS NOT DOWN! I have gone around the first of October about 6 times in the last 40ish years and was also on the CP in the Fall of 96 and Fall of 97... And I can conclusively say that in all my Fall visits I have NEVER seen the park so busy for this time of year.. Every park was slammed by mid-afternoon... We waited in lines that are typically short (i.e. Spaceship Earth, People Mover, Grand Fiesta Tour) for around 30 minutes each.. Thankfully we had FP's for the larger rides and we rope dropped a few that we didn't have lined up. I have seen countless posts about how the Park attendance is slacking and that's why people are getting canned and what not, but for the last 8ish days, the Disney suits have to be thrilled... I"m just sayin....

2.) Cast Members by and large were very well trained and extremely personable. Another thing I have read a lot lately is how Cast Members have "lost the magic".. While we did run across a few buzzkills (mostly of the older generation.. retirees from New Jersey are just not happy people it seems..lol), the vast majority treated us like royalty and interacted with my young kids in ways that simply made me smile from ear to ear.. The CPers were fantastic and I made a point to chat with them when I could and every one I talked to was pleasant and genuinely thrilled to work there..

3.) We very much enjoyed Navi River Journey... that is all... :)

4.) It is EXTREMELY difficult to try and keep your young kids on any type of normal schedule.. I saw several posts stating that that you HAVE to do this to keep your kids "happy".. Well we found with Lunch reservations almost every day and FP times scattered about, if we tried to leave the park at any time and take naps at our resort, we would undoubtedly miss a good bulk of what we had scheduled. And yes I know, you should only do what you can do in the time you have, but even at parks like AK where our kids are too young to do any of the big ticket experiences, we had to rush around like crazy just to catch showtimes and FP times. ( I guess this in hindsight isn't something the message board got wrong but more of an observation to those of you thinking you can just eat when you want and sleep when you want... it just won't happen unless you are going to all the parks multiple times in a trip).

So here are the things you guys most definitely got RIGHT..

1.) Mobile Order is AWESOME and it should be available at every quick service location! If you are going to WDW, do yourself a favor and use it..

2.) The Dining Plan is more complicated than it needs to be... so true... Especially when it comes to snacks at places like Disney Springs... Everywhere has rules of what is a snack or a QS meal... And many of you suggested to use your snack credits for things like Sodas and Juices rather than ONLY the big ticket snack things... SO SO TRUE!!! We lugged around a cooler with water and Gatorade all day every day and ended up with half of our snack credits left on our final day... Why oh why didn't we just use them for sodas and what not? Carrying Water around for yourself is always a good thing, but in the future (if we use the DDP) we will just use those snack credits for what they are meant for... snacks... even if they don't constitute a a 7 dollar "triple-decker-mickey-sundae-of-destruction" We got a lot of useful info from DFB videos but I"m a little annoyed with how they preach "Don't waste snack credits on common things!" On the contrary, use your snack credits for things you will eat or drink and don't horde them and have to redeem them for 200 bucks worth of Goofy Candy on the last day of your vacation...

3.) Don't go crazy on Character Dining... OMG how I wish we had rethought this when we made our Dining Reservation 180 days ago... Since we had the DDP, we decided to do a Character meal every day except one... It was too much! Even for my 4 and 5 year old, they had lunch with Mickey 3 times in one week! We had 2 princess lunches (with the same princesses at both lunches..) If you are like us and have young ones, schedule maybe 2 good character meals and do yourself a favor and schedule a "normal" meal for your other dining option.. Character Meals are new to me as I never did them in my younger days... But they are a ZOO... The food at some are not bad, but it is so rushed and stressful, they just aren't that fun...

Anyway... Just wanted to post some observations based on what I had read over the last couple of months as compared to what I actually saw while there..
Thanks for your trip report. My biggest beef is probably having to make dining reservations and fast passes so far out in advance. In a perfect world it would be 7 days out. Maybe for certain high demand restaurants it could be 30 days. But even that's probably overkill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom