A few California Adventure Questions

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
I am in the very early stages of planning a one day DL/DCA trip for January 2019. My husband and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary and are taking a one week kids-free trip to California. Sadly, I could only convince him to spend one day in Disney :p I have been to DL once before but it was in 2010 before a lot of the big DCA changes. Hubs has never been. We are a big Disney World family so we are familiar with the parks and have a pretty good idea what rides are must sees, and which we can skip over.
Two questions- in Cars Land, Luigi's Rollickin Roadsters and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree look similar. Are they both worth a ride? I watched videos on You Tube and Mater's looks a little more kiddie. Not sure what wait times are like for each but should we plan on both or just one?
Also, is Goofy's Sky School similar to Primeval Whirl at AK? I remember I skipping this on the 2010 trip because they looked similar. We are not fans of Primeval Whirl. We rode once many years ago and found it painful and not all that fun.
Thanks for any help!

Phroobar

Luigi's is car line dancing in time with the music while Mater's is a spinner with a whipping action. Two completely different things. I think Maters is more fun.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I think it is worth going on both Luigi's and Maters. Maters is more of a quick spin around, but fun and not like the tea cups type of spin. And Luigis and more of moving around in time to music with a spin at the end. I would skip Goofy's Sky School, the line always seems ridiculously long and it is kind of painful to ride. Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom seems more tame to me than Goofy's and I find that one uncomfortable to ride as well.

TP2000

Mater's is more fun, it really has a kick to it that you don't know about when just watching it. It's basically a whip ride, like they had in old amusement parks.

Luigi's is more unique, because it's trackless and you don't know where you are going. But the thrill factor on Luigi's is low. Luigi's is the kiddy ride for lack of thrills, Mater's is the teen/adult ride for it's thrills and G-forces you don't expect.

WDW is getting a clone of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree with the Alien Saucer ride in Toy Story Land that opens this June. It's the exact same ride system, with vehicles themed to flying saucers and under a cover due to the bad Florida climate. If you go to WDW often, skip Mater's because you will probably have to ride the Flying Saucers version at DHS owing to the fact there are only 9 rides in that park once Toy Story Land and Star Wars opens in '19.

If you are pressed for time, skip both and just watch Luigi's do its cute dancing thing from the side for a couple minutes and then move on. If the line for Luigi's is 10 minutes or less, just ride that for the unique novelty of it. It's also incredibly cute, cute, cute and the interior queue is very nicely done.

The absolute must-ride is Radiator Springs Racers. One of the best Disney rides not just in Anaheim, but in the entire Disney empire.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
This is perfect, thanks everyone!
We are so excited for Radiator Springs Racers, that is top of the list :)
I wasn't impressed with most of Paradise Pier when I was there in 2010 but I'm hoping the retheming currently happening will improve things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom