A Disneyland for the New Century!

The Adventurer

Original Poster
In a previous post, I lamented that since the death of Walt Disney, The Walt Disney Company had failed to take any risks as extreme as the original concept of Disneyland, California or the idea of The Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. Sure, the expansion of the Disney empire overseas was a great feat, but essentially, the parks built in Tokyo, Paris, and Hong Kong simply mirror the ones found in America. There are some exceptions of course (the general design of Disneyland Paris is enchanting in its own right and Tokyo DisneySea takes very little inspiration from anything Disney has ever done), but I think that now is the time for something no one has ever seen.

Currently, I have two different ideas swirling around in my imagination. The first is a revamp of the general Disneyland layout that, while not completely original, would definately be a huge undertaking for the corporation. The second is a brand new kind of theme park that, I think, would be the kind of project that Walt Disney would leap at if he had lived to see the new century. To be continued... soon. :king:

The Adventurer

Original Poster
The Disneyland Resort

Note: Since this idea exists in my imagination, the location of this park is undetermined (like it really matters in the first place).

My first idea for revamping the Disney theme parks is to go back to the basics and totally reimagine the general layout of the original Disneyland Park. After researching some of Walt Disney's original designs for the construction of Disneyland, the five realms he invisioned seemed larger than they are now. Main Street, U.S.A., Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland were each theme parks in their own right. My idea for the new Disneyland Park honors Walt's original dream.

The symbol of my Disneyland would not be King Stefan's Castle nor would it be the overused Cinderella Castle. Instead, I would draw my inspiration from one of Disney's other fairy tale fortresses, which brings me to my first question.

For the symbol of my Disneyland Park, should I use one of the two castles from Disney's original masterpiece, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, or should I use the Beast's Castle from the 1991 classic Beauty and the Beast?

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs features two castles: The Queen's Castle and the Prince's Castle. The Queen's Castle is both simple and ornate. The warm sandstone walls are accented by blood red spires. The lovely courtyards suggest flights of fantasy, but the secret catacombs and dungeons within allude to more sinister happenings. This castle has plenty of potential, but the darker elements may be off-putting to those used to the gleeful air given off by previous Disney fortresses.

The Prince's Castle is the sheer opposite of the Queen's Castle. The only thing that awaits guests within its radiant pastel walls are the promises of fulfilled dreams and maybe the chance of meeting Snow White herself. While invention is a limitless tool, this castle would be harder to work with than any other Disney castle since it is only seen in one shot of the film and most people are unfamiliar with Snow White's Prince since he (literally) only has one song and one line throughout the entire movie.

The Beast's castle from Beauty and the Beast is an entirely different story. This castle has so much potential that it could be a whole land to itself. No castle in Disney history has ever been explored like that of the Beast's Castle. Who could forget the jubilant scenes in the kitchen and dining room or the romantic dance in the ballroom. There is also a mysterious West Wing, an extraordinary library, and a seemingly infinate array of courtyards to explore. The Beast's Castle also offers both a light and dark side, which could be used to great effect during the nighttime entertainment.

The Adventurer

Original Poster
Main Street, U.S.A.

My Main Street, U.S.A. would not differ much from what we see now in the existing Disney parks mostly because Main Street is the only area in the original designs that came to full fruition. Once passing under the train station that harbors the Walt Disney World Railroad, guests enter Town Square, which features the Town Square Exposition Hall, Tony's Town Square Restaurant, The Chapeau, a stately Emporium, Harmony Barber Shop, the Firehouse Gift Station, and City Hall. Moving up Main Street, one will find Uptown Jewelers, the Main Street Confectionery, the Main Street Bakery, the Plaza Restaurant and Ice Cream Parlor, The Crystal Palace, Casey's Corner, the Main Street Athletic Shop and Disney Clothiers and it would not be unusual to see a Main Street Vehicle or two making its way to or from the Hub. The main addition here would be the overall design, which would focus more on the look of Walt's hometown, Marceline, Missouri, as oppossed to a mishmash of turn-of-the-20th-century America architecture.

There would also be changes made to Tony's Town Square Restaurant and The Crystal Palace. Tony's will now feature a character meet and greet area near the entrance to the restaurant where guests can get better acquainted with their favorite Disney pooches. Inside, Tony and Joe would also provide entertainment throughout the day and appearances by Lady and the Tramp and their canine friends would not be an uncommon occurance. The roster of characters featured at The Crystal Palace meals would also be broadened to feature Hundred Acre Wood favorites such as Kanga and Roo, Rabbit, Owl, Gopher and maybe even Christopher Robin.

Main Street would end at the Hub, which will feature a brand new statue (maybe a young Walt Disney sketching at a desk with Mickey Mouse peering over his shoulder) and surrounding it a set of brand new statuettes. Now, on to Adventureland...

The Adventurer

Original Poster
Going clockwise from the Hub, the first bridge guests will approach will lead them into Adventureland. Upon entering this untamed land of mystery and wonder, you will find yourself amongst the hustle and bustle of the enchanted city of Agrabah from Disney's 1992 classic, Aladdin. Agrabah is one of many sub-lands found in each of the four lands of Disneyland Park. This magical Arabian oasis serves as the gateway to Adventureland. While the overall layout has been undecided, here is a list of attractions, restaurants, and shops. Attractions in Agrabah are as follows: The Magic Lamp Theater, which houses Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular (brought over from Disney's California Adventure), a nightly stage show that will be a sparkling diamond amongst all other forms of Disney theme park entertainment. Caravan Carousel, an elaborate double decker merry-go-round located in the center of Agrabah will enrapture guests with the music from the film including hits like "A Whole New World" and "Friend Like Me". Atop the Caravan Carousel, one can find The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, which unlike the one in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, truly takes guests soaring. For a more thrilling alternative, daring guests can take a more uncharted magic carpet ride inside the Cave of Wonders called Diamond in the Rough, a complex 4-D roller coaster that whisks riders deep within the bowels of the cave only to be spat back out in a thrilling finale of fire, sand and magic. Located in the far corner of Agrabah, guests will take a "secret" tunnell entrance that takes them underneath the bustling city and into a forbidden land of adventure and wonderment. Guests board magic carpets not unlike those found atop the Caravan Carousel, which will seat four riders at a time. Once aboard the ride, you are whisked across the deserts of Agrabah and soon you will find yourself entering the cave. Once inside, riders will soar across many caverns and several treasure rooms, but when Jafar is unleashed from the Magic Lamp and the wrath of the Tiger God is incurred, riders must escape the clutches of the evil genie and the unforgiving sands that threaten to trap guests in the cave forever. Of course, it all works out in the end, but not before an appearance by the Genie and a magical flight around the Sultan's Palace. If hunger calls, one can sample the delights of Middle Eastern cuisine at The Blue Diamond Restaurant. This elegant table-service eatery will be housed in a two story building and will be located on the second floor. The Friends Like Us Breakfast is an all-you-care-to-eat traditional American meal with a few Arabic twists. While you dine, characters from Disney's Aladdin make the rounds. Lunch will feature lighter and more exotic fare and dinner is a sumptous gourmet feast that will be geared towards more adult tastes (think along the lines of Restaurant Marrakesh at Walt Disney World's Epcot). On the bottom floor of the restaurant is The Agrabah Cafe, a counter-service restaurant with Arabian flavor. Located next door is the Agrabah Bazaar, a sprawling marketplace inspired gift shop that even extends out into the street. It is here that one is most likely to meet Aladdin and Abu. Other character meet and greets can be found in Aladdin's Oasis where you can meet not only Aladdin, but Princess Jasmine too who together retell the story of Aladdin and the Magic Lamp. Children may be selected from the audience to participate. Seating will be first come first serve and the show will be shown multiple times throughout the day. If one dares to encounter the likes of the evil Jafar, one can find him near the entrance of the Cave of Wonders.

Well, that's all I have for today. My next post will cover the uncharted realm of the Lost River Delta and the colorful land of Polynesia. Thanks for all your compliments and input. :king:

Rufus T Firefly

There would also be changes made to Tony's Town Square Restaurant and The Crystal Palace. Tony's will now feature a character meet and greet area near the entrance to the restaurant where guests can get better acquainted with their favorite Disney pooches. Inside, Tony and Joe would also provide entertainment throughout the day and appearances by Lady and the Tramp and their canine friends would not be an uncommon occurance. The roster of characters featured at The Crystal Palace meals would also be broadened to feature Hundred Acre Wood favorites such as Kanga and Roo, Rabbit, Owl, Gopher and maybe even Christopher Robin.

While I really like your ideas and concepts, I'm a bit confused :confused: Are these proposed changes for Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom? The reason I ask is because there is no Tony's Town Square in DL. :shrug:

The Adventurer

Original Poster
It's neither. It's just what I would do if the Imagineers decided to build another Disneyland somewhere. Sorry if it came across as confusing. :king:

tdonald

One question: Would "The Cave of Wonders", be something similar to Spiderman at IoA, or something different or new? The reason I ask is that I would hope it wouldn't be too scary or intense that families wouldn't want to ride it (and BTW I think the intensity of Spidey is still a family ride).
But great work, and I want to hear more! When all is said and done, will you draw a layout?

The Adventurer

Original Poster
Concerning the Cave of Wonders ride, I think it would be really interesting to put in a loop or two, which would turn off many visitors with young children or health issues. This ride should really feel like you are experiencing it; it should be very intense. I would like it to be like the Spider-Man ride I suppose, but for the most part I would want it to be pretty innovative in its own right.

Thanks for all the compliments. I'll be posting again soon. :king:

The Adventurer

Original Poster
After your journey through the streets of Agrabah, you will find yourself at a crossroads. Straight ahead lies the Lost River Delta, while a path to the right will lead you to Polynesia, Pirate Cove, Blue Bayou and eventually Frontierland.

Lost River Delta plunges guests into a remote jungle destination unlike anything seen in the other mainland Disney Parks. Towering above the entire subland is the crumbling Aztec Ruins that is home to The Indiana Jones Adventure: The Temple of the Forbidden Eye, an immersive dark ride that takes guests on a rollicking quest with their favorite action hero, Indiana Jones. In order to reach the attraction, guests must cross a harrowing suspension bridge (much like the one seen in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom). The ride itself (for now at least) mirrors the Disneyland original except it will be given a new spin for the 21st Century. Upon exiting the ride, guests enter the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost . Once guests are done shopping, they can either exit over a "natural" land bridge that takes them near the Swiss Family Treehouse (see description below) or take another path that leads to the backside of the Lost River Delta. Note: I may change the storyline of the ride and it may undergo a name change before this is all over.

Surrounding the Temple of the Forbidden Eye is the classic Disney attraction, Jungle Cruise. While the ride has been given a slight makeover, the original elements remain. Shweitzer Falls, the elephant bathing pools, the lake of angry hippos and viscious crocodiles are still apart of the voyage, however a wild (yet mild) trip down some harrowing rapids, a hair-raising encounter with man-eating piranhas, and an exclusive detour into the Temple of the Forbidden Eye also await voyagers who travel the waters of the Lost River.

To the right of the suspension bridge lies yet another classic Disney attraction: The Swiss Family Treehouse. Nothing much has been updated here except the location. Instead of the usual pathside location, my Treehouse requires guests to embark on a short trek through the bush before reaching it. The treehouse will instead loom above the river, which provides spectators a unique look at both The Temple of the Forbidden Eye and the Jungle Cruise attraction.

Before one reaches the que areas for either the Jungle Cruise or the Indiana Jones Adventure, a path to the left will lead guests further into the jungle. The entire path wraps around the entire left half of the Jungle Cruise attraction like a horseshoe.

The first thing guests will approach is the Bengal Barbeque, a riverside counter-service restaurants that will delight the taste buds of every carnivorous diner around. Barbeque ribs and chicken are the highlights of the menu. Guests can either choose to dine inside or on the outdoor patio, which features lovely views of the Lost River, the Jungle Cruise que area, and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. Although it is not a character meal, stars from Disney favorites like The Jungle Book and The Lion King can be found near the eatery.

Along the jungle road lies a bevy of brand new attractions. To the left, one will find Son of Man: The Legend of Tarzan, a wild jungle coaster that gives guests the chance to feel what it is might be like to surf through the treetops like Tarzan. This ride will be true to the spirit of other Disney coasters like Rock 'N' Rollercoaster and Space Mountain. Like Rock 'N' Rollercoaster, a steller soundtrack (featuring songs from the 1999 film) accompanies guests on their thrilling journey through the trees and instead of an illuminated Los Angeles Freeway, guests are transported into a colorful jungle landscape. Like Space Mountain, the entire ride takes place in the dark. To get there, guests must travel underneath a waterfall (much like the entrance to Rainforest Cafe at Disney's Animal Kingdom). The que line will feature cave drawings that retell the story of Tarzan before you board. After exiting, guests walk through Porter's Safari Company. Here, guests can purchase memorbilia from the film, safari gear and animal merchandise as well as meet the cast of Tarzan who make regular appearances here.

A few steps away is Tarzan's Treehouse, which emerges from the steamy jungle onto the banks of the Lost River. Here guests can explore Tarzan's jungle home and little ones can frolic in an elaborate interactive play area. This is also a good place to spot characters from the film.

Once you have journeyed through the Tarzan area, guests can travel even further into the foliage to experience The Jungle Book: An Untamed Musical in the Wild, a musical stage show located amongst the Ancient Ruins from the 1967 musical hit, which is found on the backside of The Indiana Jones Adventure. If it feels like the jungle is jumpin', it's not your imagination. This over-the-top stage show, which feels like a hybrid of Disney's Animal Kingdom's Festival of the Lion King and Tarzan Rocks!, invites the audience to party alongside Mowgli, Baloo and all their jungle friends. Outside the showroom is Colonel Hathi's Hamburger Hut. This counter-service eatery features a small indoor dining room and a spacious patio area amongst the ruins that overlooks the Lost River and the backside of the Temple.

Now, on to Polynesia!

tdonald

I have to say that your ideas are some of the most thought-out and interesting I've seen. From what I've read so far, it almost seems like Adventureland could be a park in it's own. Just a suggestion, but making it a separate park might be something to consider.

The Adventurer

Original Poster
I thought about that, but the three other lands are equally large. The whole idea is that this Disneyland is oversized. In comparison to most of the world's theme parks, the Magic Kingdoms are all pretty small and compact. This is just an expansion of the original idea. The original drawings for Disneyland were seemingly much larger than the dimensions you see now. :king:

The Adventurer

Original Poster
Why two treehouses? I know it sounds excessive, but I hated that the original Swiss Family Treehouse in Disneyland was demolished, however I liked the idea of Tarzan's Treehouse since Tarzan is one of my favorite Disney animated films. In a way, they are two different attractions though. One is more of a play zone for little ones and the other is a functioning tree home. As far as layout purposes are concerned, they would be far enough apart to be asthetically pleasing to the eye. :king:

Rufus T Firefly

Why two treehouses? I know it sounds excessive, but I hated that the original Swiss Family Treehouse in Disneyland was demolished :king:

The Swiss Family Treehouse wasn't actually demolished. It was simply refurbed with a Tarzan theme.(actually quite well done) Few guests were visiting the old treehouse. And the Tarzan theme is much more relevant to the younger guests who have no idea who the Swiss Family Robinson were.
It's similiar to the re-theming of Tom Sawyer's Island with the Pirate's Lair.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom