Trip Report A Disney Heat Wave (obviously)

Hi everyone! I’m going to attempt to start a trip report but I warn you, I may be slow moving between kids & work.
We were in Disney from Saturday January 11th until Sunday January 19th. This trip was myself (Jillian), my husband Nick and our two girls, Sage age 9 and Aria age 4. Our last trip previous to this was in September 2016. Sage was 5 1/2 and Aria had just turned one. That trip was like the perfect storm of Disney trips, so many things went wrong. One of the worst parts of that trip was the weather. It was 95 degrees and so humid every day. Literally sun up to sun down, there was no break. It made the kids so tired and grumpy, our New England bodies just couldn’t handle the heat! We swore up and down we’d never go in the heat again. That is why for this trip, we purposely chose January. Average high 71, average low 49. PERFECT. So of course, guess what happens while we’re there? An actual heatwave. Like, record breaking temperatures. It was 85, sunny and humid every day except one (the high that day was 79!) As expected, the kids didn’t handle it well. We were so disappointed that we once again had to deal with the heat :(
Another unexpected obstacle- the crowds. This was by far the most crowded Disney trip we have ever taken. Prior to that 9/16 trip, we had been 12/14, 9/09, 1/08 and 4/07. I know everyone says now that there is no quiet time and based on our trip, I will 100% agree with that. The lines were the longest I’ve ever seen them. Small World was consistently at 60 minutes, we only got to ride because we were able to get a FP later in the day. We waited 35 minutes for Journey into Imagination! There were so many rides my kids would have loved to do more than once and we just couldn’t. We rarely waited in standby without a FP.

On that trip in 2016, we stayed at All Star Sports and didn’t like it all. In 2014 we stayed at Pop and that, we liked. After our troubles at Sports, we thought we might like to splurge for a moderate this time. But, our kids really wanted to do a few character meals. And with the rising costs of hotel, tickets, food etc, we decided not to upgrade our hotel this time around. We knew this might be our last trip where they were super into the characters so we decided splurging for those character meals was a better way to spend our money.
I knew I definitely wanted a renovated room so we chose All Star Movies only because it was cheaper than Pop. We did pay a little extra for a preferred room, more for the theming than the location. I knew my kids wouldn’t care for the Mighty Ducks or Love Bug sections.
I have literally been planning for this trip for years so back when the the deals were released for January 2019, I wrote down all the different options. There was a room discount and also Play Stay Dine. I priced both options out based on the approximate dates we would be there. The deal that was actually released for January 2020 was a little different. It was called the Kids Meal Deal and basically, if you bought the adult meal plan at full price, you got the kids meal plan for free. Since we were staying in a value, the room discount was not that much, a couple hundred over the course of the week. So I priced out the room discount plus paying for food out of pocket. I included some food from home, and sometimes sharing quick service, plus the character meals we wanted to do. Then I priced out the kids meal deal with the dining plans and actually, the prices were very similar. We decided the convenience of the meal plan was well worth it so we booked the kids meal deal offer.
Initially, I only booked the quick service version and figured I would pay out of pocket for our 2 character meals. About two weeks before our trip though, I decided to upgrade to the regular dining plan. After factoring in the cost for the two character meals I was going to pay out of pocket for, it really wasn’t that much of a difference. I had to scramble a bit to add the extra table service meals to our schedule but, I am so glad we made this change. The character meals we did were 100% the best part of our trip. It was so nice to have an hour each day to relax in the AC. And it was so nice to have the characters come to us without having to wait in a crazy long line. My kids are fairly picky eaters so it was great for them to be able pick little bits of what they liked. And we were really happy with the adult choices as well!
One final note before I dive in day by day- we actually really liked All Star Movies. The renovated rooms are really nice. We loved all the extra storage. Being able to slide our empty suitcases under the bed was awesome. We loved that we each had our own end table with outlets and USB ports. The door between the room and bathroom was great at night when adults wanted to shower while kids were sleeping. And I loved the coffee maker and little breakfast nook. We left Sports knowing we would never stay there again. But we were actually very pleased with Movies.
I will start our arrival day in a bit! For now, here are a few pictures from Disney on Ice we attended a few weeks before our trip :cool:
81E9BE15-CE65-44BE-947E-A4DE318935E8.jpeg
5BF554CF-C48F-431B-A80E-DC359E1CAA2E.jpeg
036ED919-363D-4E27-9463-0AA70432D040.jpeg
166F6F68-7EAA-4658-9034-0FC4470F36FE.jpeg
DDDA5C21-D087-4C57-BB4C-3BEA04DE8E18.jpeg
848B19B7-AE40-42A8-B391-D7F43EA76470.jpeg

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Excellent TR, and thank you for sharing. Remember, even with the best-laid plans, not everything will go smoothly. But many things do, so better to plan ahead at least some activities, meal reservations, etc. You did a good job organizing the schedule. and you have some wonderful photos. I think as time goes on, you'll look at the vacation pictures and have fond memories of time that your family spent there. :)

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Excellent TR, and thank you for sharing. Remember, even with the best-laid plans, not everything will go smoothly. But many things do, so better to plan ahead at least some activities, meal reservations, etc. You did a good job organizing the schedule. and you have some wonderful photos. I think as time goes on, you'll look at the vacation pictures and have fond memories of time that your family spent there. :)
Thank you! My kids already talk about it like it was the best trip ever. They talk about their favorite rides & favorite characters. And they say mom, next time can we do this first? Can we go here first? Can we stay at this hotel? And I’m like guys, you were miserable, you’re never going back 😂

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Thank you! My kids already talk about it like it was the best trip ever. They talk about their favorite rides & favorite characters. And they say mom, next time can we do this first? Can we go here first? Can we stay at this hotel? And I’m like guys, you were miserable, you’re never going back 😂

That’s the funny thing about « perception/memory/recollection» and how it changes depending whose it is and/or over time. There are some events I’ve « dragged » my daughter to do, and it seemed to me that all she did was complain the whole time. And then I’ll look at pictures and it shows her having a great time...

Thanks for sharing your trip and your thoughts.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
That’s the funny thing about « perception/memory/recollection» and how it changes depending whose it is and/or over time. There are some events I’ve « dragged » my daughter to do, and it seemed to me that all she did was complain the whole time. And then I’ll look at pictures and it shows her having a great time...

Thanks for sharing your trip and your thoughts.
It’s so true! And, they didn’t talk about it all for a good 4/5 days. Family members would ask them about it and they would barely answer with a grunt. But then suddenly it was like they had time to decompress and process it all and suddenly, it was a great trip with great memories.

Zipadeelady

@DisneyDreamer08 I've just caught up and I have to tell you, your girls sound just like my girls a few years back. There were many trips we took where I wondered halfway through why I didn't just take them to a hotel for a week so they could just swim all day. It made for quite a few weepy moments for me. My girls are now 20 and 23 but they made vacations hell. I kept trying but have to admit that up until our last Disney family trip with all 5 of us in 2016 it seemed like I still had to spend so much time trying to keep it cool between them. Since then I have taken them both on trips to Disney with just one of them and myself. These trips were so worth it. They were shorter due to being on a budget but I have the best memories with each of them.

Also, please make sure just you and Nick go. After the trip in 2016 I rented DVC points and just Joe and I stayed at AKL. We spent days at the pools and nights at a signature restaurants. We spent some of our time at Disney Springs, checking out other deluxe resorts, lots of pool time we were able to relax and enjoy ourselves without the kids. For that trip we only went to one park to keep costs down. Honestly Joe prefers pool days to park days so he was a very happy boy. If I had my way I'd have gone to more parks but if I want to keep him going I definitely need to make sure he's happy too.

Just to give you hope, my girls now show love for each other for more than 5 minutes but after about 48 hours of constant togetherness they start to revert back to their old ways. Holidays are wonderful :rolleyes: :happy:

Last edited:

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
@DisneyDreamer08 I've just caught up and I have to tell you, your girls sound just like my girls a few years back. There were many trips we took where I wondered halfway through why I didn't just take them to a hotel for a week so they could just swim all day. It made for quite a few weepy moments for me. My girls are now 20 and 23 but they made vacations hell. I kept trying but have to admit that up until our last Disney family trip with all 5 of us in 2016 it seemed like I still had to spend so much time trying to keep it cool between them. Since then I have taken them both on trips to Disney with just one of them and myself. These trips were so worth it. They were shorter due to being on a budget but I have the best memories with each of them.

Also, please make sure just you and Nick go. After the trip in 2016 I rented DVC points and just Joe and I stayed at AKL. We spent days at the pools and nights at a signature restaurants. We spent some of our time at Disney Springs, checking out other deluxe resorts, lots of pool time we were able to relax and enjoy ourselves without the kids. For that trip we only went to one park to keep costs down. Honestly Joe prefers pool days to park days so he was a very happy boy. If I had my way I'd have gone to more parks but if I want to keep him going I definitely need to make sure he's happy too.

Just to give you hope, my girls now show love for each other for more than 5 minutes but after about 48 hours of constant togetherness they start to revert back to their old ways. Holidays are wonderful :rolleyes: :happy:
Thank you so much for sharing. It is always nice to know when someone can relate. Our girls are 4 years and 9 months apart and part of the reason the gap is so big is because Sage has always been a handful. For a long time, we thought she would be the one and only. I grew up with two brothers and always wished I had a sister. So when we found out Aria was a girl, I was so excited to finally be able to experience what life with sisters was going to be like. Of course if I knew then what I know now... 😂
I do hope they will someday tolerate each other better.
Last summer we sat down with them and had a serious conversation about doing separate trips. Nick taking Sage, and me taking Aria. Sage flat out refused. It’s part of her anxiety, no one is allowed to do anything or have any fun without her. Part of me wishes we pushed for that more. But it’s something I would definitely consider in the future.
I am really hoping Nick will agree to a kids free trip. I would love to rent DVC and be able to walk to Epcot. Our last two trips were during festivals, Festival of the Arts this time, and Food and Wine last time. We weren’t able to take part in any of the special events or foods. We haven’t seen any of the films or live entertainment. I’d love to really explore Epcot. And Disney Springs! And like you were saying, relax by the pool, enjoy nice dinners.
Nick gets to choose the next vacation destination and then this Disney trip would be next. So it’s likely a good five years away. But a girl can dream! ☺

Laura Loves Tigger

Hang in there, mom! Anxiety issues are no fun, at Disney and in real life. My daughter has had anxiety issues all of her life. She began taking medication when she was in 4th grade. ( She also has a brain injury which contributes to her difficulties.). She is now an adult and lives with us full time. I share all of this because I have learned a few things about going to Disney with someone with anxiety. We are blessed to be able to go to Disney once a year. It is just the 2 of us, because my husband likes his Disney trips 4 years apart 😁. I have found that when we get home the first thing she talks about is all the things that went wrong, and she shares them over and over with everyone she meets. After about a week she starts talking about all the fun she had and how she can't wait to go back. I plan like crazy, and then know that we may be changing plans and shortening days depending on how she is feeling. Once I understood her feelings and dropped my expectations I found I could enjoy just the experience of being in Disney World with her.

You are doing a great job! Changing your plans on the fly was the best thing you could for your precious daughter. I think her memories will continue to grow sweeter, and the wisdom you gain by reflecting on this trip will help you in planning future vacations.

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Hang in there, mom! Anxiety issues are no fun, at Disney and in real life. My daughter has had anxiety issues all of her life. She began taking medication when she was in 4th grade. ( She also has a brain injury which contributes to her difficulties.). She is now an adult and lives with us full time. I share all of this because I have learned a few things about going to Disney with someone with anxiety. We are blessed to be able to go to Disney once a year. It is just the 2 of us, because my husband likes his Disney trips 4 years apart 😁. I have found that when we get home the first thing she talks about is all the things that went wrong, and she shares them over and over with everyone she meets. After about a week she starts talking about all the fun she had and how she can't wait to go back. I plan like crazy, and then know that we may be changing plans and shortening days depending on how she is feeling. Once I understood her feelings and dropped my expectations I found I could enjoy just the experience of being in Disney World with her.

You are doing a great job! Changing your plans on the fly was the best thing you could for your precious daughter. I think her memories will continue to grow sweeter, and the wisdom you gain by reflecting on this trip will help you in planning future vacations.
Thank you for sharing your story! It sounds like you guys have a good Disney routine. Sage had a major meltdown the day before we left when we were talking about the airport. I think she couldn’t remember it from last time. I’m hoping as she gets older and remembers our trips better, things will go more smoothly. We are actually very lucky because she does really well in school. She thrives on structure and routine. But with Disney, or any vacation, no matter how much you plan, things are bound to go differently 🤷‍♀️ Hopefully she will soon learn that we can’t control things like crowds and the weather. Although I wish I could! 😂
Thanks again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom