A Disney Adventure Park?

Would you visit a Disney Adventure Park?

• Yes

Votes: 45 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 33.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 12.0%

• Total voters

Michael72688

Original Poster
If someone could give me a really good reason why IOA is an amusement park, I could believe it, but I'm just not seeing it. and I dont know why I even brought this up, I forgot this is Disney!

meeko_33785

I would say that yes, IOA is indeed a theme park. The rides and atmosphere of the park for the most part are well themed. I just think that some of the park is not up to Disney standards. While rides like the Incredable Hulk or Dueling Dragons are entertaining they don't do what all Disney rides should do- tell a story. Not that IOA is bad, but it's just not Disney.

Pioneer Hall

First of all...

After IOA has proven that it will not bring in the crowds that it was expected to bring in, I don't think Disney would ever build something like it. IOA has brought in only the teens. Families don't really want to spend another day there after going once. It isn't a family oriented place.

If you noticed...Disney is about Family. They want families to come in to their parks and have fun TOGETHER. They don't want something like IOA where not everyone has something.

When DCA opened, people's biggest complaint that there wasn't enough for kids to do. So what did Disney do? They almost immediately built a kids extension to the park. Sure Disney wants thrills and wants a thrill seeking group to come in to the park. But, for them it is much more logical for them to build a family place, that a place for only one person (also more profitable. I would rather have a family of four pay to come to my park, than one teenager).

Sherm00

I think I would visit it once. if it is anything like IOA then I probubly wouldn't go back or put it last on our list. at IOA the themeing was great but the rides were terrible. I think there was a total of 3 I could ride and we did the entire park in 3 hours. in comparison we did animal kingdom in a day. we loved just walking through and takeing a look at the exotic animals. that park is soo fun. but a guess that is a personal thing. However, then again if disney did an adventure park I don't think it would be all thrill rides, I think it would have more dark rides that thrill the imagination and not just the body like in IOA. personally I like Buzz light year over me in black also.

Tim G

Originally posted by Michael72688
I totally agree, and the new coaster at AK is pretty cool, it's short and not real high, but spins a lot and I cant go on it more than twice cause I get sick, but it's fun, and I really like it!

Becky - I dont remember when IOA was called an amusement park, in my book it's a theme park, and a mighty good one at that!!! :hammer:

Universal called it a theme park..........

They tried very hard...

They succeeded only half...

There's only 1 real themed ride, Spiderman...

The Hulk? which IS a good coaster, but isn't themed
Duelling Dragons, Nice front... but that's it..

They couldn't get the magic in...

WDWspider

Originally posted by Corrus

The Hulk? which IS a good coaster, but isn't themed
Duelling Dragons, Nice front... but that's it..

This is a grey area... to me the Hulk has a lot of theme comparred to nearly any other coaster.

I also feel Cat in the Hat, Popeye Bilge Rat Barges, and Jurassic Park River Adventure have a lot of theme.

TinkerBell9988

Originally posted by jaylenofan86
You are preaching to the wrong board. I would never go to that park, and I would never go to Disney again if they built that park. This is a DISNEY board, not a IOA board.

Thank you... ya took the words right outta my mouth.

Becky

[B

Becky - I dont remember when IOA was called an amusement park, in my book it's a theme park, and a mighty good one at that!!! :hammer: [/B]

First of all Michael I do not appreciate the:hammer:

Secondly I do not appreciate being misquoted:(
Where do I call IOA an amusement park? I don't. Please take the time to read posts and thereby not misquote people.:D

Nintendo18

WDW has always been a place where i can spend time with my family, where normally i don't. This is why we go there on family vacations. IMO, Universal has many rides that my mom does not like to go on, and therefore would not be cost effective to us.

ToTBellHop

What I have seen from Islands of Adventure is about the same as what I have seen from Six Flags of late--more extensive work on the queues and even theming throughout the park, but the second you board your ride vehicle, the story stops and it is pure thrills. Like Dueling Dragons...I will admit that it has a very kewl queue, but the second you board your train, it's just painted steel and nothing else. You experience the same sort of thing at Six Flags parks, on Batman rides, for example--pretty kewl queue, but the theming ends when you board the ride. Even Jurassic Park keeps its theming for much of the ride, but then you head up the hill into the building, and drop...it really ruins the experience, like they added some animatronics to look like Disney and then, nonetheless, turn the ride into something purely for thrill. Spiderman is certainly an exception, as are a couple other attractions at Universal Orlando, but only a handful. This does not even approach Disney. If you want to call Islands of Adventure a theme park, I challenge you to tell me just what the theme is--granted, it is kinda tough to pick a specific theme for the Magic Kingdom, other than a dream-like world, I do not see any sort of theme at Islands of Adventure; it is a very jumbled park. If you can relate Dr. Suess to Marvel Super Heroes to Jurassic Park to Poseidon to Popeye, I will be very impressed. I do not honestly see any theme to this supposed "theme park", and each attraction basically attempts to amuse, not tell much of a story or explain/explore a given theme; therefore, by definition, this is an amusement park. And do not say the theme is "adventure". That is arguably part of the theme at all four Disney parks--takes much more for a viable theme, like fantasy, discovery, entertainment, or nature.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Disney is about, they are about making boring childish rides,

What do you go to Disney for then, How old are you ????
What are Test Track, Mission:Space, Alien Encounter, RockNRoller Coaster ? Not in the slightest bit childish or boring.
If I want a park full of Roller Coasters then I will drive up I4 to IOA, until then WDW has EVERYTHING I (and many others) want.
Thank you.:p

DixieBelle97

I'm a teenager and I believe that WDW is one of the greatest theme parks ever. :D But,....I have been to IOA and it's pretty spectacular. WDW does need a park with more thrilling rides similar to IOA b/c after riding those BIG rollercoasters, I'm hungry for more thrills than what RnR and ToT can give me.:slurp:

Rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and the new coaster at AK just don't make the cut to me.

It's not that WDW isn't fun. I have a great time when I'm there:cool:, but teenagers like me believe that WDW needs more extreme rides in order to compete with IOA's The Hulk and The Dueling Dragons. Teenagers will have more fun with more thrills. Since WDW is a family theme park, it should be more fun for teenagers too.

Please, DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!! :hammer:

Sir Hiss527

What about something kinda like that "California Adventure Park" that would kinda neat having something like IOA and CAP. I would be the best!:goodnevil

Doesn't this all come down to simple economics? Who's worth more to Disney - the family, or the teens/thrill seekers?

The teens will (yes, I'm generalizing terribly here):
-Pay to enter the park
-Buy cheap food
-maybe buy cheap souveniers
-Leave

The family will:
-Pay to enter the park
-Possibly have an expensive meal
-Buy lots of expensive souveniers
-Stay at an on-site hotel (eating breakfast and dinner there, too)

Yes, of course Disney needs some thrill rides to convince the teens of a family to come visit. But a complete thrill ride park? Seems awfully expensive for a more minimal economic gain. It'll help attendance, but I don't think it'll help revenue enough to justify the cost, as opposed to other uses of the expenditures.

Mr. Tom Morrow

Sure would, but!

Would I visit a Disney Adventure Park? The short answer is, yes. Disney has already proven that it can create exciting thrill rides that are also well themed such as Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Alien Encounter, Dinosaur, Tower of Terror, Rock ‘N Roller Coaster, Indy and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Matahorn Mountain and Grizzle River. Disney has also already proven that it is the master when creating themed non thrill attractions, such as Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Carousel of Progress, Buzz, Aladdin’s Magic Carpets, It’s Tough to be a Bug, Muppet 3D and Soaring over California. Most of these attractions, as you know already exist but are located in four different parks, each with its own park theme and unique mix of mostly non thrill attractions and a thrill ride here and there. One of the myths seems to be that some people here on the board seem to think that Disney is either competing, or if they were to build an Adventure Park, they would be competing with Universal. I submit that in either case it’s the other way around; Universal is trying to compete with Disney! And here’s way. There are many reasons why Disney is special to us here on the boards, but the thing that’s special about Disney attractions is, you can’t find anything remotely close to them anywhere else. No secret there right! Well, let’s take Splash Mountain as an example, strip away the Song of the South theming and what do you have, a basic big boat waterfall ride. Now I ask, can anyone think of a park that has done a better job of theming a big boat waterfall ride anywhere? I’ll even give you some examples, Atlantis at Sea World Orlando, Jurassic Park at IOA, Snake River Falls at Cedar Point or the dozen or so that reside at Six Flags parks across the country? The answer of course is no, Splash Mountain is still the best themed big boat waterfall ride in existence. But what does that mean? I would suggest that Disney attractions are the most entertaining, hold our attention the longest and as a result provide the best memories! How many people out there can go into great detail, right now, about what is inside Atlantis at Sea World Orlando? Now do the same with Splash Mountain! So in terms of entertainment value Disney wins hands down, and you could do this with just about every attraction between Disney and Universal, Spiderman being the one exception!

With that said, why would Disney want to build an “Adventure” park? First let’s clear up some misconceptions. There has been a lot of discussion trying to make a distraction between a Theme Park and an Amusement Park. I prefer to think of IOA, Six Flags, Paramount, Busch and the Cedar Points of the world as “Thrill” parks. They all provide amusement, have varying degrees of theming but focus mainly on thrills. Disney on the other hand focuses more on theming and amusement than it does thrills. Let’s take Splash Mountain once again, true it’s very entertaining but is it the most thrilling, do you get soaked? Many of the other big boat waterfall rides listed above do a much better job of getting you wet, but that’s what their designed to do, entertain the thrill seeker! Misconception number two, only teenagers like thrills. My wife and I are in our 30’s and we consider ourselves thrill seekers. Every summer we do a tour of between 6 and 12 thrill parks to ride roller coasters. Our home park is Cedar Point which now has a collection of 16 screamers (12 more than IOA!). We are very fortunate in that we are able to appreciate both thrill parks and Disney parks. Simply put, we have come to understand that they are two different types of entertainment! Now, because Disney isn’t a thrill park, but IOA is, IOA is actually competing with Six Flags, Paramount, Busch and Cedar Point, which are usually local to you and me. And when you compare IOA to its real competition, say Cedar Point, well let’s just say IOA just doesn’t fair very well here either! In fact, there are only two attractions in IOA that we would classify as must do attractions, Spiderman and Hulk! Everything else can be found elsewhere and usually done better in terms of thrill factor. So the question really is, why would Disney want to build a “Thrill” park and go into competition with IOA and the rest?

The answer of course is to make more money! And to do that, Disney would have to do thrills better than anyone else. The question then becomes can Disney bring the right mix of thrill and non thrill rides together in a “Thrill” park that will attract families and entertain every member of the family including the thrill seeker? I’m sure that they could, but it would take a lot of money. Being a Disney park it would have to meet Disney standards in terms of theming. Disney would also need to have enough attractions to keep the said family entertained for an entire day, which means quantity and well as quality. And speaking of quality, us thrill seekers are very, very, very picky! And we can be, because there are so many choices available (subject to geographic location!). I’ll give you an example. We normally visit Cedar Point a few times each summer to take in all the rides. However, this year we are planning to visit only once. Why? Well in the past we would ride many of the roller coasters as many times as we could every trip to the park. But now, many of the rides are beginning to age because they haven’t been kept in tip top shape and simply aren’t as enjoyable as they use to be. Add the fact that the latest offerings (Wicked Twister and Dragster) are WAY over rated and don’t appeal to us, we have no reason to ride them more than once a season. So, Disney would be looking at spending big dollars on quality, quantity and ongoing maintenance. But like I said, Disney could do it if they wanted to, but at the moment do they really need to? Nope!

As has been discussed on various threads here, Disney already has needs within its existing four parks for rehab, replacement and additions to spend money on their already superior product. Something as a Disney fan I hope they do first, soon and often. But as a thrill seeker, I do hope for the day, perhaps in better economic times and after the current parks are full with entertaining attractions, when Disney will enter the “Thrill” park market. I think it would be very interesting to see what the Imaginers might be able to come up with given the right amount of time, money and direction! And that’s my 2 cents!

BRER STITCH

........(AHEM)........

Some folks see things as they are and ask ...WHY? :veryconfu

I see things as they could be and ask - WHY NOT?

:king: :sohappy: :king: :sohappy:

GoofyMike29

i agree

i agree with jayleno86.
i go to disney for what disney is.
i will get my thrill rides at great adventure or universal...
again, disney is what it is, and that should not change

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom