A couple of HKDL questions

david10225

Original Poster
Thanks to some great trip reports and reading your posts, I went ahead an booked my flight to HK. It's a long trip from the East Coast but I'm really looking forward to it, joined by my daughter who is meeting me there....

We are going the week after Thanksgiving and I have a few questions which I'm hoping those with experience could shed some light.

1. Not sure if we should visit HKDL at the beginning of the trip or the end of the trip (Monday&Tuesday) or (Thursday&Friday). I arrive Sunday AM and my daughter arrives Sunday night so that's basically just a unwind day at a hotel and maybe a little sightseeing for me. The reason I'm undecided is I was wondering when HKDL got decorated for Christmas. The end of our trip is Nov 30 and Dec 1 so if experience says, it would be decorated, I'd choose those days. If the park doesn't get decorated till later (unlike in the US when I think it starts in August :) )I would choose the beginning of the trip as I'd like to be in a hotel closer to one of the MTR stations that have in city luggage check in - plus I want to enjoy some of the nightlife of HK.

2. Second the park calendar is of course not out yet, but generally would we expect an 8 PM closing that time of year?

So many decisions - where to go - where to stay - where to eat.....planning is as much fun as being there I think!

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to head over to Shanghai while I am there...crazy I know since we will be so close, but it's just not in the cards for this trip...

Thanks...

David

GiveMeTheMusic

Thanks to some great trip reports and reading your posts, I went ahead an booked my flight to HK. It's a long trip from the East Coast but I'm really looking forward to it, joined by my daughter who is meeting me there....

We are going the week after Thanksgiving and I have a few questions which I'm hoping those with experience could shed some light.

1. Not sure if we should visit HKDL at the beginning of the trip or the end of the trip (Monday&Tuesday) or (Thursday&Friday). I arrive Sunday AM and my daughter arrives Sunday night so that's basically just a unwind day at a hotel and maybe a little sightseeing for me. The reason I'm undecided is I was wondering when HKDL got decorated for Christmas. The end of our trip is Nov 30 and Dec 1 so if experience says, it would be decorated, I'd choose those days. If the park doesn't get decorated till later (unlike in the US when I think it starts in August :) )I would choose the beginning of the trip as I'd like to be in a hotel closer to one of the MTR stations that have in city luggage check in - plus I want to enjoy some of the nightlife of HK.

2. Second the park calendar is of course not out yet, but generally would we expect an 8 PM closing that time of year?

So many decisions - where to go - where to stay - where to eat.....planning is as much fun as being there I think!

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to head over to Shanghai while I am there...crazy I know since we will be so close, but it's just not in the cards for this trip...

Thanks...

David

Last year Christmas started November 17 at HKDL, so it's safe to assume that it will be Christmas for your entire visit. Going on weekdays is the way to go, and you can expect 8 or 9PM closings, so it really doesn't matter which days you pick. Pick whichever days of your trip feel the most convenient!

In HK, don't miss Victoria Peak, Tim Ho Wan dim sum, the ferry crossing between Central and TST - HK is an incredible place!

BrianLo

I'd also highly suggest a 'day trip' to Tai-O fishing village, pay like <5 American dollars for a boat cruise around the village and out to see the pink dolphins and then head over to Ngong Ping for the Big Buddha and try the nunnery vegetarian offerings there.

Tung Chung has comfortable city (but more like greyhound style) buses to Tai O, another one will take you to Ngong Ping and you can take the gondola back to Tung Chung again. There is a huge modern outlet mall in Tung Chung if you are into shopping.

The reason I suggest that order is you'll save a bit of money by not taking the gondola twice and the lines for it are always crazy in Tung Chung, but never really to come back down again.

Lantau is a huge favourite of mine and I'd prioritize it even if you only had two days total in Hong Kong. Really I'd do the city and those parts of Lantau if my trip was really limited before taking someone to Disney!

If the Christmas event has started, expect the Park to close at 9 pm.
They will add a Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony at around 6-7.
That makes all nighttime spectaculars (PTN and Disney in the Stars) to be postponed for an hour or so.
So the closing time is also postponed to around 9.

david10225

Original Poster
Great to hear the latest information.

I'm thinking Monday HK (Lantau, Budda, Tai-O, Skyride), Tuesday - Macau Day trip or more HK if I haven't planned it right, (Staying at Sheraton) Wednesday Victoria Peak then move to HK DL in afternoon for evening at HK DL (Stay at one of the HK DL Hotel), Thursday more HK DL and rest. Friday AM we move to the W Hotel - drop off luggage and then 3/4 day at Ocean Park. Saturday my daughter flies home, but my flight is not until 11:50 PM so I thought I would do some shopping before I head to the aiport early evening. Wow...so much to do, so little time...

Great to hear the latest information.

I'm thinking Monday HK (Lantau, Budda, Tai-O, Skyride), Tuesday - Macau Day trip or more HK if I haven't planned it right, (Staying at Sheraton) Wednesday Victoria Peak then move to HK DL in afternoon for evening at HK DL (Stay at one of the HK DL Hotel), Thursday more HK DL and rest. Friday AM we move to the W Hotel - drop off luggage and then 3/4 day at Ocean Park. Saturday my daughter flies home, but my flight is not until 11:50 PM so I thought I would do some shopping before I head to the aiport early evening. Wow...so much to do, so little time...
well actually HKDL is SOOOOO close to Budda and Tai-O
so probably move HKDL to Tues and Wed will be better

david10225

Original Poster
Any thoughts on best way to book one of the HKDL hotels? Is it best to just book directly at their website? I've been looking and they have some "cancel within 3 days" rates. For my days of stay I'm looking at around $250 a night for the Hollywood Hotel or $300 a night for the Explorer's Hotel. (inclusive of the 10% tax).

Any thoughts on best way to book one of the HKDL hotels? Is it best to just book directly at their website? I've been looking and they have some "cancel within 3 days" rates. For my days of stay I'm looking at around $250 a night for the Hollywood Hotel or $300 a night for the Explorer's Hotel. (inclusive of the 10% tax).
Go for the Explorers' Lodge !!
It is newer and more detailed <3
Gorgeously themed

GiveMeTheMusic

Book through the official site, definitely, and do Explorer's over Hollywood.

Bartattack

I stayed at the Explorer's Lodge a few weeks ago... definitely can recommend it. Very nice hotel. The rooms where huuuuge. Hollywood hotel is a nice hotel as well, but it starts to show some wear and tear.
I booked my stay at explorer's lodge through booking.com (from Belgium). Had no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0937.JPG
    IMG_0937.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0939.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 61

david10225

Original Poster
Thanks all again. I think I have my game plan down now. I guess I'll bite for the Explorer's since its the end of the trip. There is something going on that Friday night December 1 as the hotel prices at the airport are super high. Maybe a convention. So we decided to just stay 3 nights at the Courtyard and 3 nights at Disney. I just hate having to move during a vacation.

david10225

Original Poster
So...I returned from my week long visit to Hong Kong yesterday. Thank you all for your suggestion to stay at the Explorer's Lodge. It was very nice, although I found it smaller than I pictured in my mind (not the rooms, the resort itself.) Off topic - but does anyone know what is supposed to go in the space between the HKDisneyland hotel and the Explorer's lodge? I would guess another themed hotel?

I hope you don't mind if I share a few thoughts about the entire resort. First, HKD resort is actually quite beautiful and lush. We had perfect weather - 70's each day with some humidity. I dread the thought of how the summers must be though. Seems like a ton of room for expansion. I don't know what they are waiting for. Shopping area is a must there. As long as they don't build something to keep people there multiple days, it will continue to be a local park. Regarding the park itself - well I knew that the attraction count was low, but in the off season like this it really can be done in one day with minimal waits. I especially liked the Lion King show (way better than Orlando) and the Mickey and the Magical Book (might have the name wrong) performance. This is what they should put into the new theater they are building in the MK. More sophisticated and a better story than the similar show in Disneyland. Frozen segment seemed to get the most audience reaction so perhaps a Frozen land here is a good bet. In general I found the staff to be very helpful and seemed to be enjoying their jobs. I like the way they hand your credit card back to you with both hands and a slight bow. Seems like something I recall seeing in Japan. Also spent a day at Ocean Park which WDW1974 always said good things about. Very nice park - so glad we went. Nothing like it in my experience. Sort of like a combination of Sea World and Six Flags built up on a mountain. Lots of hills to walk up though - my wife could have never done it.

I have tons of comments more, but I don't want to turn it into a trip report. I'm glad I went and have crossed it off my bucket list. I am retiring in 1 year and 1 day and am trying to fit it a lot before I am broke and retired :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom