A bit perturbed at Disney's children's food selections

minnie2000

I have to say my 6 cents worth as well. Not directed to anyone on this subject here.. Just observation...Thank heavens my grandson loves any klid of food. But I must szy he has a cousin that will NOT eat anything but mac and cheese and nuggets.(Nuggets are ground up parts of the chicken and made into balls, Not truly white most of the time. HIS MOM CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY. THIS HAS BEEN SINCE HE WAS 3 NOW 6.. Sorry caps on... The problem is the mom and like so many moms... If they didn't feed these kids this type of food and only that food to begin with they wouldn't have the issues. A friend of theirs boy will only eat hot dogs no buns just tons of dogs. High colesterol high everything. She is desperate to break him. Not happening now.. she started it.. My grandson doesnt care for food like that. he loves salads and vegetables, especially fruits and will eat steak, real breast of chicken,grilled, ham, turkey, eggs etc. Very well rounded. Thanks to his mom she never fed him the fried or high caloried foods when he was little. Not to be mean but to make him love all foods. We ate well with him last dec. They even brought him out salads when it wasn't on his childs menu at TS meals. But it is a little sad that at Pinocchios Pizza House they do not serve kids Pizza, just PB and J and nuggets.. Go figure and then wonder why children are becoming obese, fried nuggets and mac and cheese. Don't blast me but I bet many agree that it starts at home why they become stuck on those things.

I'm sorry, but you are completely wrong. I have 2 daughters. They have always been given healthy food, with the occasional treat of nuggets or chocolate. My 8 year old loves to try new food. She eats (and enjoys) lots of different types of fruit and vegetables, she loves meat and fish - she is very easy to feed a healthy diet. She is tall, active and quite skinny.

My 11 year has been difficult to feed since she was born. She is extremely picky, only likes certain very bland foods, and hates to try anything new. She does eat a lot of nuggets at WDW because she doesn't like some of the other food there. She never has chicken nuggets at home, apart from the occasional treat at MacDonalds, maybe once or twice a month. Although she is fussy, we have found reasonably healthy food that she likes and this is what she eats at home. Unfortunately this is not available at WDW, so she is stuck with nuggets or burgers. She has also had health problems with reflux as a baby, and IBS as an older child, so I often wonder if the pickiness is because of tummy pain, and a fear of eating. She is also active, tall and skinny.

Neither of my girls drinks fizzy drinks. I never gave it to them as young toddlers, but they have tried them as they got older and don't like them. I am very lucky in that respect, but I don't feel that it is because of me, it is just that they don't like them.

What I am trying to say is that you can't blame the mothers. It is very easy when you have a child who eats healthy food to congratulate yourself on a job well done, but perhaps you are just lucky. Like I say, I always fed both my children healthy food, but one of them just turned out to be picky.

Phonedave

I'm sorry, but you are completely wrong. I have 2 daughters. They have always been given healthy food, with the occasional treat of nuggets or chocolate. My 8 year old loves to try new food. She eats (and enjoys) lots of different types of fruit and vegetables, she loves meat and fish - she is very easy to feed a healthy diet. She is tall, active and quite skinny.

My 11 year has been difficult to feed since she was born. She is extremely picky, only likes certain very bland foods, and hates to try anything new. She does eat a lot of nuggets at WDW because she doesn't like some of the other food there. She never has chicken nuggets at home, apart from the occasional treat at MacDonalds, maybe once or twice a month. Although she is fussy, we have found reasonably healthy food that she likes and this is what she eats at home. Unfortunately this is not available at WDW, so she is stuck with nuggets or burgers. She has also had health problems with reflux as a baby, and IBS as an older child, so I often wonder if the pickiness is because of tummy pain, and a fear of eating. She is also active, tall and skinny.

Neither of my girls drinks fizzy drinks. I never gave it to them as young toddlers, but they have tried them as they got older and don't like them. I am very lucky in that respect, but I don't feel that it is because of me, it is just that they don't like them.

What I am trying to say is that you can't blame the mothers. It is very easy when you have a child who eats healthy food to congratulate yourself on a job well done, but perhaps you are just lucky. Like I say, I always fed both my children healthy food, but one of them just turned out to be picky.

I give another example. My youngest (7) is the picky eater. She will sit down to salad, bread, brocolli, bacon, BP&J, chicken soup, and maybe a hamburger. Oh, cucumber sushi too. She has very definite likes and dislikes. Notice that there are no chicken nuggets in the list, no hot dogs, and she DESPISES mac & cheese.

Her older sister (10) takes after me. She will try (and like) just about everyting. However while she does not gravitate to "kids food" the things she likes to eat, while "adult", are not healthy. She ate a foot long section of cold smoked kelbasa last night while reading a book. Cheese is another thing she eats. She loves chocolate. Now while she is currently skinny as a rail, she has been told that she cannot eat like that all the time or it will catch up to her (she is active, and is in the middle of a growth phase right now, so she burns it all off)

The point is, I have two kids, both raised the same, on the same foods. One is picky, one is not. Both have different tastes, likes and dislikes. Thats because they are different people. Some of it is nuture, but at heck of a lot of it is also nature.

-dave

tigsmom

Taste evolves with time. When my girls were small they could live on chicken (cooked any way), mashed potatoes and broccoli, poached eggs with toast and mac 'n cheese.

One will now eat just about anything but eggs and the other will not touch mac 'n cheese to save her life. They still love chicken & potatoes, but won't even be in the same room with broccoli. They eat salads, fruits & veggies, fish and they still love those chicken nuggets (home made or store bought). Both care little for beef, one loves pork and the other hates it. Pizza reigns supreme! :lol: They were raised the same way, but as they have grown they have developed tastes of their own. The rule is is to try at least one bite...maybe you will like it, maybe not. They loved the exotic flavors in Boma and Marrakesh, but didn't like the BBQ at the WCC...go figure.

And Phonedave, I could eat an entire ring of kielbasa if it's the good kind. :lol:

Phonedave

Taste evolves with time. When my girls were small they could live on chicken (cooked any way), mashed potatoes and broccoli, poached eggs with toast and mac 'n cheese.

One will now eat just about anything but eggs and the other will not touch mac 'n cheese to save her life. They still love chicken & potatoes, but won't even be in the same room with broccoli. They eat salads, fruits & veggies, fish and they still love those chicken nuggets (home made or store bought). Both care little for beef, one loves pork and the other hates it. Pizza reigns supreme! :lol: They were raised the same way, but as they have grown they have developed tastes of their own. The rule is is to try at least one bite...maybe you will like it, maybe not. They loved the exotic flavors in Boma and Marrakesh, but didn't like the BBQ at the WCC...go figure.

And Phonedave, I could eat an entire ring of kielbasa if it's the good kind. :lol:

I see you are from Upstate NY(ish).

I have no idea where ish is :) but if you are anywhere near Blairstown NJ (think where Route 80 enters PA - the water gap) there is a place up that way called Alpine Meats

http://www.alpinemeatsanddeli.com/wurstsandcoldcuts.html

scroll down to the "right side of the case" see that Hungarian Kielbasa - thats the one :)

-dave

tigsmom

I see you are from Upstate NY(ish).

I have no idea where ish is :) but if you are anywhere near Blairstown NJ (think where Route 80 enters PA - the water gap) there is a place up that way called Alpine Meats

http://www.alpinemeatsanddeli.com/wurstsandcoldcuts.html

scroll down to the "right side of the case" see that Hungarian Kielbasa - thats the one :)

-dave

I'm in Orange County, not too far from where NY meets NJ at Greenwood Lake or Warwick, NY.

And that place is very interesting. :slurp:

durangojim

Original Poster
I don't think it is an unreasonable thought that CHH, which was known for it's chicken strips, and now nuggets, would have a children's chicken nuggets meal. Also I don't think it is unreasonable that if a child size portion of drink (juice box, small chocolate milk) is offered with a child meal, it should also be offered ala carte. That was one of my biggest beefs, that I had to purchase an adult sized drink and meal for my 3 y/o.

nolamom

CHH has kids' meals, just not chicken nuggets. There are usually just 2 choices for kids' meals at CS, which isn't much selection. Cosmic Ray's has a kids' chicken nugget meal.

So if CHH has kids' meals, what are they? We were planning on eating there at some point with 2 toddlers, but I'd be interested to know what is on the kids' menu there. Otherwise, after reading about no chicken kids meals, I might defer to Cosmic Ray's instead.

I have to say my 6 cents worth as well. Not directed to anyone on this subject here.. Just observation...Thank heavens my grandson loves any klid of food. But I must szy he has a cousin that will NOT eat anything but mac and cheese and nuggets.(Nuggets are ground up parts of the chicken and made into balls, Not truly white most of the time. HIS MOM CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY. THIS HAS BEEN SINCE HE WAS 3 NOW 6.. Sorry caps on... The problem is the mom and like so many moms... If they didn't feed these kids this type of food and only that food to begin with they wouldn't have the issues. A friend of theirs boy will only eat hot dogs no buns just tons of dogs. High colesterol high everything. She is desperate to break him. Not happening now.. she started it.. My grandson doesnt care for food like that. he loves salads and vegetables, especially fruits and will eat steak, real breast of chicken,grilled, ham, turkey, eggs etc. Very well rounded. Thanks to his mom she never fed him the fried or high caloried foods when he was little. Not to be mean but to make him love all foods. We ate well with him last dec. They even brought him out salads when it wasn't on his childs menu at TS meals. But it is a little sad that at Pinocchios Pizza House they do not serve kids Pizza, just PB and J and nuggets.. Go figure and then wonder why children are becoming obese, fried nuggets and mac and cheese. Don't blast me but I bet many agree that it starts at home why they become stuck on those things.

I have to disagree there. I WAS that picky kid. My mom tried to feed me vegetables and lots of different kinds of food, I would sit at the table for hours because I didn't like it. Every once in awhile she'd give us chicken nuggets and I liked those, so I got those when we went out because my mom knew I would eat them and she didn't feel like wasting money on something I'd take two bites out of. Far from serving me only that food, it was just how I was and was something I grew out of (now I'm a vegetarian, go figure). My cousin is exactly the opposite, she loves vegetables, and we were raised with nearly the same "healthy foods-to-sometimes indulging in fattier ones" ratio.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom