A bit of a whoops with Wishes tonight

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tonight's Wishes started out great. Tink flew and everything. About three minutes in, the audio started to skip ("Genie, I wish for your freedom! Jiminy, some day I wish I could be a real boy! Genie, I wish for your freedom!") After a couple of skips the audio was cut altogether, but the fireworks themselves seemed to go off without a hitch for the rest of the show. The castle lighting didn't work right, either. Then to top it all off, the lights on Main Street didn't come back on after the show for who knows how long. I made it from Casey's Corner to the train station before they came back.

So... who spilled the drink on the computer? :animwink:

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Original Poster
General Grizz said:
Eek! Let me ask, MrNonacho - any mentions of the 50th anniversary today out of the norm?

Nothing that I saw, but I didn't get there until a little before seven this evening.

tirian

Actually, the "Whoops!" was bigger than this. Spectromagic was rushed tonight, too. Timing between the floats was terrible, resulting in 1-2 minute gaps of nothing as other floats were literally a couple of feet from one another. Furthermore, the initial post forgot to mention one thing: the lights at Cinderella Castle were also shut off for a brief moment.

The reason for rushing Spectro was that tonight's version of Wishes was supposed to have a special "Salute to Disneyland" finale. Apparently, the event did not have fireworks, because additional fireworks were not shot after Wishes fell apart.

P.S. For anyone who was not at the Magic Kingdom tonight, Wishes really was a fiasco. Aladdin's wish sounded like a broken record; then everything just shut off and the fireworks continued.

kal1484

Thought I was going nuts at first, I was walking thru lands when i heard the "freedom....freedom" going on. No one was really complaining though, I didn't really notice that Spectro was rushed or the 1/2 min. gaps, at least at the castle hub.

mickey04

tirian said:
The reason for rushing Spectro was that tonight's version of Wishes was supposed to have a special "Salute to Disneyland" finale. Apparently, the event did not have fireworks, because additional fireworks were not shot after Wishes fell apart.

Aww, that's too bad. :( Of all nights to have the show fall apart. :brick:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Does anyone know the number for tech support?

mainscreen_copy.jpg

Hobnail Boot

General Grizz said:
Eek! Let me ask, MrNonacho - any mentions of the 50th anniversary today out of the norm?
I was there all day and had to correct about 10 cast memebers about who's birthday it actually was:

"What's the celebration for?"

"It's Disney World's 50th Birthday, mam."

"Um... no actually it is DisneyLAND's 50th Birthday."

"Oh... um of course it is."

Drove me nuts. That and the fact that everything except maybe one or two things regarding the HCOE were all about Disney World...

And I was dissappointed w/ Wishes as well. It was the first time to Disney World for a friend of mine and he wanted to see Wishes so bad. I'm downloading it now so that he can see it. Overall a great day, except for no mention of Disneyland whatsoever (except me w/ my golden DISNEYLAND 50 mouse ears :) )

Testtrack321

monothingie said:
Does anyone know the number for tech support?

mainscreen_copy.jpg

:) That was great.

Mabey the HPs they hooked up to run the show all went into automatic update mode and shut down to install the latest Windows update....

j/k I know those guys arn't hooked up to the internet anyway....

boo52

tirian said:
This was never true. There was no tag planned for Disneyland's 50th. Where di you hear this from? As for the other problems... Thank goodness I'm on vacation. :sohappy:

CrashNet

Eeesh...I've never heard something like that fall apart so BAD at WDW. I noticed someone mentioned illuminations...whats going on with that show?

(If you can't figure it out, I'm a firework show NUT) :lol:

TinkerBell9988

What a night for Wishes to go crazy. . .

Its a shame that some castmembers think it is WDW's 50th Birthday. :rolleyes:
Don't they know any background information about the place that they work in? :animwink:

dave2822

cac2889 said:
Eeesh...I've never heard something like that fall apart so BAD at WDW. I noticed someone mentioned illuminations...whats going on with that

All I've heard about is one night they just played the show with no fireworks because of the weather conditions.

And, though unfortunate that the mixup occured on DL's big 5-0, keep in perspective how many times this show goes off without a hitch, you can say that about everything in WDW for that matter.

JMagicFink

wishes problems

This is just pure guessing from my past experience, but the lighting for the castle is probably on time code. The time code is generated with the soundtrack, so if the soundtrack stops the lighting stops. Also, if you start the soundtrack back up, you can have the lighting jump cues to where the soundtrack time code is. However, I wonder why the music skipped? It is pretty hard to make digital recordings skip without overloading the resources of the computer somehow. Anyways, I worked a show where all the lighting was timecoded to teh soundtrack. Whenever there was a problem and we had to stop the show, the second we were good to go again the lighting would catch up. It was really neat. Despite the soundtrack glitch, I agree with the past posts, think of how many times that show has gone well since 2003. Excellent track record. And a special request to Boo, when you get back from vacation is there any way you could find out and share what actually happened? I know that is probably not what Disney would want released, but I know a lot of us techno geeks would love to know what caused the music hangup. :) Best of luck to the Wishes crew and technology tonight!
-Jim

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom