Hurricane Milton coming to FL

jmuboy

Visually, the most damage I've noticed so far is at Typhoon Lagoon along Castaway Creek. So many beautiful trees and plants torn apart or forced to have been cut down. So sad to see. They're still reopening attractions as the day moves along as well as water effects(retaining wall isn't working right now for example) but it looks like Castaway Creek still needs another day.

Water is freezing cold here as well. Today They're only open to Resort Guests. That limitation will likely be lifted tomorrow I'm told.

All guests at Typhoon Lagoon are also being offered complimentary drinks and snacks today which is AMAZING!
With Typhoon Lagoon closing in just 3 weeks on November 3, for its annual refurbishment I would expect landscape damage will be addressed and new plantings installed before it reopens in Spring 2025. Does not make much sense to try and work around guests at this point.

And the landscape team at Blizzard Beach still has three weeks to address any last minute major tree removal / replacement before its annual reopening.

One thing that Disney still does (that STILL amazes me) is how they can literally create a forest in a field in what almost feels like an over night effort.

Touchdown

Original Poster
Got a welcome email out of the blue today, Southwest is gifting me a $200 voucher for my troubles. This despite the fact that I:

-Booked a new flight on points and got out before the storm
-Canceled my old flight and got that cost refunded
-Didn’t complain or ask for anything
-This was clearly a weather delay

Sometimes it pays to not be the squeaky wheel I guess.

Tom P.

I know that you are just joking but what good would come from being below ground level in a flood? High winds maybe, but water tends to react more to gravity. Plus and I just say this as a reminder. Trying to make funny out of a total disaster for millions of people is probably not the kindest thing or proper thing to do.
Disagree. Strongly. Times of high stress, even disaster, are times when people need the release of humor the most. Nothing wrong at all with people on a Disney fan forum making some jokes and blowing off some steam.

Gillyanne

Just realized I didn't check in yesterday. Seems I was so distracted I didn't even come check in on the post period.

Power was still out yesterday morning so as I was heading passed 36 hours out I decided to run out and see if I could find a cooler and ice (for whatever reason I don't own a cooler here they're all in Maryland) managed to grab a small (28qt) one at Walmart and the last bag of ice at one of the truck stops. I had only really planned to maybe put a carton of milk or something in it but the Walmart was also out of most of the refrigerated stuff since they lost it all. Even though I had been out for so long though I managed to luck out that the milk in my fridge that hadn't been opened yet hadn't spoiled, just tasted and felt like a glass I may be left out for the evening. I guess a benefit of lactose-free being ultra pasteurized 😂. I also had checked my freezer drawer and it was still solid so I was saved there.

Running out took a little while just because the Walmart had just reopened so everybody was going and then the truck stop had lines to get into it but I finally got home and cleaned up a little bit.

Power ended up coming back on just before 3:00 p.m. so I got some work in and went ahead and ran and got a window AC unit and got it all set up before bed. Even just the one unit placed in a central location in the house is definitely making a difference and everything's more comfortable. The central air still has about 9.5 in on it as it doesn't seem to have receded much today. Not sure if I mentioned it on here yet but I did hear from the AC company yesterday and they said all the electrical is on the top half so hopefully the unit actually is spared but leaving it off until the water recedes and they can come double check. Hoping if anything I just need to let the ducts dry out or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom