Hurricane Milton coming to FL

bpiper

Most likely new reports as people return to property and call in outages

It can also be that repair crews are deenergizing a section with down wires to work on them. This will temporarily take down power in that section for people who are still working. Happens up here in the NE all the time after ice storms. They will deenergize a section to work on the down wires and when they are repaired, reenergize the whole section again. We have a municipal electric company. They will post on FB that they are taking down a section of the town to work on down wires in that section and give an estimate for how long it will be down. Cuts down the on new reports of outages and also reassures residents who suddenly lose power after the storm is finished on why it happened.

As you drive around look for poles that have a double set of insulators on top with a bar going across them. Attached to the bar is a long pole going most of the way down the pole. That is how they deenergize a section. It's a crude blade switch.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I spent several years in 4 of them…
Does that count?

The fire grid is prone to false alarms…but they do sound alarms.

Think about it: the Walt Disney company houses tens of thousands of individuals in their lodges at all times and they are 100% liable for them. You think they like…make them not noticeable…like taking the battery out of a carbon monoxide sensor in your house?

Lawyers rule the world
First it was clear in the Tick Tok videos that there were audible alarms and evacuation messages playing. The lawyers make sure that every code and standard is followed.

Disney, like most hotels will use detector verification for common area detectors to reduce false alarms. Fire Sprinkler Waterflow and pull station activations will instantly sound an alarm. Additionally, unlike some hotels, at Disney they have smoke alarms in hotel rooms which are local alarms (not connected to the fire alarm). Hotels with system detectors in guest rooms and fire sprinklers will typically report activations in guest rooms as a supervisory signal to notify the building staff to investigate since the primary life safety device is the fire sprinkler and the smoke detector is solely used for occupant notification purposes.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
More aftermath photos, this time around Epcot International Gateway and nearby areas.

I also read on Reddit that there's damage to the Hollywood Hills Ampitheater for Fantasmic!, but not sure how true is that..

Looks like that entire line of downed trees is on the Swan Side, across from Boardwalk DVC room. Guess the non-Disney trees don't hold up as well.

DisneyDreamer08

I’m not on TikTok so I couldn’t watch the video but my mom just sent me this 🤦🏻‍♀️😂
IMG_9401.jpeg

Gillyanne

Alive in Sumter Co. Power went out for me about 930 last night and still out. I think the whole town is/was out. My backyard flooded like it did after Debbie but it's higher and further into the front of the yard than last time, but no intrusion into the house since I'm up a few feet (but I'm sure it's all up in the crawl space). Going to try to get another lil cat nap in before I fully venture outside to assess the rest of the yard.

Status update: I've got power back after about 10 hours.

Still without power here but some in town are reporting they're back on. The outage map was without any ETR most of the day but now shows 6:30pm so hopefully just a few more hours and my freezer saved (at least the Fridge stuff I stuck in it) 🤞🏻 Internet may not be ready when power comes up but I've got my phone and a separate/dedicated hotspot device. Cell service has seemed stable thankfully.

The flooding in my back yard as stated was a lot more this time, it was about 14in up my central air unit. Have it turned off at the breaker and hopefully the company can make it out soonish to check it out. It's only 15months old 😭 I forget when I measured the 14in (i think before 10) but about 3pm looks like it's gone down an inch or 2 already. Will probably grab a window unit this weekend for backup. Thankfully right now it's still kinda cool and when the power is back I can use the ceiling fans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom