Disney DAS Pass Question?

NightGuardianAngel

Original Poster
Would it be appropriate to get a DAS pass if you cannot physically wait in the standby line because you get overstimilated by sensory overload from certain smells, loud sounds, or being very close to lots of people for very long periods of time due to Autism or a similar disorder and you need a more quiet and more sensory friendly environment to wait to avoid a meltdown?

Ayla

Would it be appropriate to get a DAS pass if you cannot physically wait in the standby line because you get overstimilated by sensory overload from certain smells, loud sounds, or being very close to lots of people for very long periods of time due to Autism or a similar disorder and you need a more quiet and more sensory friendly environment to wait to avoid a meltdown?
What is this person going to do the rest of their time at WDW when not riding rides? A good description of WDW is it is full of people you'll be very close to all the time, it is loud and there are smells everywhere.

NickMaio

There are lines everywhere, not just at rides.
Not really.
Depends on when you go.

We were there early July.
It was great.

If there is a line for food most places mobile order now.
We never waited to eat at any park.

Christmas might be different.

BrightImagine

I wish I had better news for you.

I am another Guest who is noise-sensitive. I am local to WDW and used the DAS in between the removal of Fastpass+ in 2021 and the changes to the Disability Access Service (DAS) in May 2024. I used DAS because of noise in the queues and my family member used it because of both noise and proximity. During that brief period of time, using DAS was life-changing. It made me feel more like any other guest. However, after the DAS change, I was denied the use of this service.

I encourage you to please apply for Disability Access Service, in the hopes that you might receive it unlike I did. It truly makes a huge difference.

I would like to end with some information:
- Many guests who are neurodivergent and have sensory differences are being denied use of DAS, even though we seem to fit under the company's definition of a Guest with "a developmental disability like autism or similar."
- This is to say nothing of the many, many guests with other kinds of invisible disabilities who are being flatly denied and can no longer enjoy the Parks in safety and dignity.
- Despite some recent headlines from other blogs, DAS is not "line cutting." It is waiting the same amount of time in an alternate location because one cannot tolerate the queue.

Chi84

Premium Member
I wish I had better news for you.

I am another Guest who is noise-sensitive. I am local to WDW and used the DAS in between the removal of Fastpass+ in 2021 and the changes to the Disability Access Service (DAS) in May 2024. I used DAS because of noise in the queues and my family member used it because of both noise and proximity. During that brief period of time, using DAS was life-changing. It made me feel more like any other guest. However, after the DAS change, I was denied the use of this service.

I encourage you to please apply for Disability Access Service, in the hopes that you might receive it unlike I did. It truly makes a huge difference.

I would like to end with some information:
- Many guests who are neurodivergent and have sensory differences are being denied use of DAS, even though we seem to fit under the company's definition of a Guest with "a developmental disability like autism or similar."
- This is to say nothing of the many, many guests with other kinds of invisible disabilities who are being flatly denied and can no longer enjoy the Parks in safety and dignity.
- Despite some recent headlines from other blogs, DAS is not "line cutting." It is waiting the same amount of time in an alternate location because one cannot tolerate the queue.
If it's noise and proximity that are the issue, have you tried to use the former Genie+ and LLs (now LLMP and LLSP)? They definitely make the parks more expensive, but they allow you to avoid the queues and wait elsewhere similar to DAS.

Vegas Disney Fan

In this scenario I’d do the interview but prepare yourself to be rejected, even with Autism (or other neurodivergent conditions you’d think would apply) it seems you have a 50/50 chance of being approved for DAS.

I know a half dozen people who formerly had DAS for various medical conditions (including a child on the mild end of the autism spectrum) and none have been approved so far under the new criteria. Documented heart condition that results in fainting, nope, brain tumour that results in seizures, nope, mild autism, nope, PTSD, nope… short of debilitating autism I don’t think they approve anyone for DAS anymore.

NickMaio

This whole rewriting DAS is a sad move by the Dis corp to push people into paying for Genie.

Plain and simple.
My heart goes out to those who used to get it and now can't.

Another situation of.....
All the ways to make a buck.

I really hope they go back to allowing those with previous DAS approval to get it again.

Vegas Disney Fan

They went from one extreme of giving it out for every ailment to the other extreme that people who genuinely need it now can’t get it, hopefully it’ll be revised at some point to be less restrictive without being given so freely it gets abused again.

In the meantime the only recourse is not to give the Disney parks your money if the value isn’t there for you without DAS.

Chi84

Premium Member
This whole rewriting DAS is a sad move by the Dis corp to push people into paying for Genie.

Plain and simple.
My heart goes out to those who used to get it and now can't.

Another situation of.....
All the ways to make a buck.

I really hope they go back to allowing those with previous DAS approval to get it again.
I think that’s over-simplified but Disney definitely wants to limit the LLs to people who are paying for them.

Once Disney started selling a service that allows people to wait elsewhere for rides instead of standing in lines, changes to DAS were inevitable. There is another thread that goes much deeper into the issues.

I wish they would abandon the paid system and go back to free fast passes.

Last edited:

DW Aficionado

I hate to complain, because I was not raised that way, and realize many are worst off then myself. But a few years ago I was involved in a severe car crash, requiring back surgery to fuse a couple of discs together. Since then I have difficulty sitting or standing for long periods of time. I don't know why, it is what it is.

Walking is not an issue, I don't know why..... Disney used to always accommodate my wife and I with a DAS pass for the rides. Now they have stopped that.

I was not trying to take 'advantage' of Disney, truth be told I wish I was never involved in the crash. But the DAS pass helped me. Each year is taking it's toll on my spine, again it is what it is. Now hearing that Disney will not issue me a DAS pass is very difficult for me.

Any thoughts, and please I know we make fun of others on here, but not this time.

Chi84

Premium Member
I hate to complain, because I was not raised that way, and realize many are worst off then myself. But a few years ago I was involved in a severe car crash, requiring back surgery to fuse a couple of discs together. Since then I have difficulty sitting or standing for long periods of time. I don't know why, it is what it is.

Walking is not an issue, I don't know why..... Disney used to always accommodate my wife and I with a DAS pass for the rides. Now they have stopped that.

I was not trying to take 'advantage' of Disney, truth be told I wish I was never involved in the crash. But the DAS pass helped me. Each year is taking it's toll on my spine, again it is what it is. Now hearing that Disney will not issue me a DAS pass is very difficult for me.

Any thoughts, and please I know we make fun of others on here, but not this time.
The only suggestion is to use the paid service. It’s expensive but you don’t have to stand in lines.

I’m not disabled but there’s no way I could stand in the kind of lines they have at WDW - hip problems and other age-related issues with long waits. We have had good success with the paid systems.

DW Aficionado

The only suggestion is to use the paid service. It’s expensive but you don’t have to stand in lines.

I’m not disabled but there’s no way I could stand in the kind of lines they have at WDW - hip problems and other age-related issues with long waits. We have had good success with the paid systems.
Which is the paid service?

I don't view myself as disabled, in fact I refuse to use the handicap parking spots, leaving them open for those that truly need them. But, truth be told, the Disney parks are taking it's toll on me

Chi84

Premium Member
Which is the paid service?

I don't view myself as disabled, in fact I refuse to use the handicap parking spots, leaving them open for those that truly need them. But, truth be told, the Disney parks are taking it's toll on me
Right now it’s LLMP and LLSP. There are separate threads explaining how they work - or you can read about them on Disney’s website.

Would it be possible to enter the line with your wife and then have her hold your place if you need to leave?

DW Aficionado

Right now it’s LLMP and LLSP. There are separate threads explaining how they work - or you can read about them on Disney’s website.

Would it be possible to enter the line with your wife and then have her hold your place if you need to leave?
honestly, i don't know what LLMP or LLSP stand for, or how the new system works

Chi84

Premium Member
honestly, i don't know what LLMP or LLSP stand for, or how the new system works
Lightning Lane Multi Pass and Lightning Lane Single Pass. This isn’t the right thread to explain them but there is information on Disney’s app and there are other threads explaining them.

Vegas Disney Fan

I hate that paying more for lightning Lane is the best advice but unfortunately it is the only real replacement for what DAS used to be.

That or pay to rent a scooter so you’re at least off your feet while not in line, I know that’s not preferable either but it’s what one of my friends ended up doing as a result of his bad back, which no longer qualifies him for DAS, it bruised his ego a bit but it saved their trip because he was in continuous pain prior to renting it (and his wife was ready to strangle him over his complaining and slow pace).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom