Is the Country Bear Jamboree better now or worse?

Is the Country Bear Jamboree better now or worse?

• Yes it is much better

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Yes it is a bit better

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Neutral

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • No it is a bit worse

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • No it is much worse

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
As someone who takes weeks, sometimes months, away from this site when I am not planning a Florida vacation I have to ask for the people that have seen the new show from the Country Bears that has their old songs gone and Disney IP songs in there, is it better? Is there any nod to the old show? Or has it lost its charm? And do the bears sound the same? Explain the differences if you can to me, thanks.

AndyS2992

So much better now. It’s brighter, has more energy, recognisable songs, the AAs are better and just all around a much better show.

The original was dated, dark and dusty, you could literally smell the mustiness and decay. The songs were way past it, and a little disturbing for today’s audience, blood on the saddle, baby bears singing about getting turned on, a song about shooting little Buford dead, my woman ain’t pretty? was all a bit weird. I’m glad it’s gone.

lightningtap347

Everything is better except the content.

The animatronics, costumes, effects, lighting and sound are all the best they have ever looked in my life. It's such a shame the show is so bland.

This has all the ingredients to be good (especially as a parrothead) and it just doesn't.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
I think it's a fun update and would rather have it than have seen the Bears torn out forever (or replaced by a Toy Story show as rumored a few years ago). That said, the original had better music, banter and chemistry. I give it a solid B.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
So much better now. It’s brighter, has more energy, recognisable songs, the AAs are better and just all around a much better show.

The original was dated, dark and dusty, you could literally smell the mustiness and decay. The songs were way past it, and a little disturbing for today’s audience, blood on the saddle, baby bears singing about getting turned on, a song about shooting little Buford dead, my woman ain’t pretty? was all a bit weird. I’m glad it’s gone.

That is sort of the point, you know? At the risk of going into how sensitive our modern society is the point of the show being dated was that it was a throwback to a different time. In 1971 it was still a throwback from those times as well, hence what used to be called "Frontierland" was actually intentionally done in such a manner. And in 2024 we just don't "get" comedy anymore, and that is what the show was about as well.

Chef Mickey

Poll numbers are possibly worse than if you did a Tiana's vs. Splash poll in favor of the old attraction being better. Is there anything that Disney has actually improved when they gut an attraction?
Just off the top of my head of gutted or replaced rides.

Journey Into Imagination - No
Maelstrom - Huge No
Horizons - Hell no
Splash Mountain - Def no
Pirates - Still no
Tiki Room - So bad they had to change it back
Country Bears - No
Test Track - No
Buzz Lightyear - No
Stitch - No
Great Movie Ride - No
Snow White - No
Mr Toad - No

DisneyFanatic12

The question is, what "redo" has ever been done right? Original ideas are almost always the best and re-doing them with this regime is practically a guaranteed step down.
I liked Maelstrom, but it went from a ride that many guests would never ride to an extremely popular and well-received ride. Never rode the River of Time (I think that was the name), but I personally love the Three Caballeros. Countdown To Extinction -> Dinosaur doesn’t seem like a horrible change, though I never rode the original. Camp Minnie Mickey -> Pandora (was too young to remember Camp Minnie Mickey, but seems like a good redo/replacement). Great Movie Ride was a great ride for DHS, and I miss it, but MMRR is not a bad ride, and with DHS is/will be now, it works pretty well. Fantasmic! -> Fantasmic! 2.0 (maybe no better, but at least equal),

Could name a lot of bad ones in addition to a lot of good(ish) ones though.

Demolishing the Backlot Tour (man do I have fond memories of that ride as a kid, wish I could do it again)
CBJ -> CBMJ (I was gasping for breath and crying of laughter with my family when I watched it for the first time. Have taken my extended family and friends to the show and none even giggled at one of the CBJ jokes/songs, so maybe I was an anomaly in finding it absolutely hilarious)
Figment -> The really bad but still kinda fun Figment
Soarin’ Over California -> Soarin’ Around the World (though this is up for debate… somehow)

And probably many more that haven’t really crossed my mind at the time of writing.

Last edited:

TalkToEthan

The question is, what "redo" has ever been done right? Original ideas are almost always the best

For some reason that holds true for me with movies and definitely Disney park attractions but strangely not so much with songs.

I tend to like remade songs more than originals(quick example: Van Halen ‘you really got me’ over The Kinks; Dynamite Hack ‘Boys in the Hood’ over Easy E; Smashing Pumpkins ‘Landslide’ over Fleetwood Mac)

Chef Mickey

For some reason that holds true for me with movies and definitely Disney park attractions but strangely not so much with songs.

I tend to like remade songs more than originals(quick example: Van Halen ‘you really got me’ over The Kinks; Dynamite Hack ‘Boys in the Hood’ over Easy E; Smashing Pumpkins ‘Landslide’ over Fleetwood Mac)
That's because music is just sounds our brain likes or doesn't. Disney attractions are visual, audible, physical. Movies are very visual as well, which makes a difference.

Dear Prudence

That is sort of the point, you know? At the risk of going into how sensitive our modern society is the point of the show being dated was that it was a throwback to a different time. In 1971 it was still a throwback from those times as well, hence what used to be called "Frontierland" was actually intentionally done in such a manner. And in 2024 we just don't "get" comedy anymore, and that is what the show was about as well.
I don't know if we don't get comedy anymore or if some stuff isn't really that funny. I think a lot of it were also outdated cultural references. The Liberace joke from the CBJ always made me laugh, but it's such a dated reference. I am not that old, I'm in my 30s, but I can see how someone younger than me might not laugh. Big Al crashing the finale was also always hilarious. I am sad they didn't keep that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom