Trip Report Surprise - We went to Disney again (with a pre-trip report thrown in to boot)

Surprise…we went to Disney for a few days

High Level Details

Who - Tammy and I
DSC_6591.JPG

When - April 17th-20th

Resort – Saratoga Springs - Studio

Preamble

So like the title says, we did a kind-of last minute trip to Disney in mid-April. I was going to be on a course in Tampa from April 15th-17th, and had this crazy idea to bring Tammy with me and we would tack a couple of days on at the end. Our original plans for this trip were to hang around Tampa and try Busch Gardens out for a day or two. However…I started looking into things a bit more, and realized Tampa is only about an hour drive from Orlando, so our plans changed to Disney instead. Once we decided on Disney we then had to decide what we were going to do there. I noticed there was a waterpark season’s pass that Disney was offering, so we decided waterparks only this trip…or so we thought (but more on that later).

April 15th – April 17th

I won’t spend too much time on these days. I was on a course that was held at the Tampa Convention centre. I’d go to the course during the day, and Tammy would hang around the pool at the hotel, and then we’d meet up in the evenings for dinner. Tampa was OK. The riverwalk was nice, but I didn’t really love the area we were in.

One small problem came up with our plans though… I logged on the morning of the 17th to buy the waterpark seasons pass…Only to be met with “this ticket offer is no longer available”. I guess I missed the part of the offer that said they were going to only be sold up to the 16th. BAH. However, there is a DVC deal for waterparks, so we decided to get 1 day of waterpark passes for the 18th, and then decided after that what we wanted to do on the 19th.

April 17th – PM

The course wrapped up around noon on the 17th, and it was vacation time. I headed back to the hotel to meet up with Tammy, then we took an Uber back to the airport to pick up our rental car (I tried to rent something closer to the hotel, but I couldn’t match up the return times of the car to any of the locations nearby, so the airport was the easiest way (and we were flying out of there at the end of our trip anyways). A short trip to the airport, and soon we were in our rental and heading…back to Tampa
PXL_20240417_175407576.jpg

So I’m a big hockey fan. Scratch that. I’m a big Toronto Maple Leafs fan. What were the chances that the Leafs would be playing in Tampa at the exact time I’m in Tampa (and if you know anything about Toronto pricing for hockey games, I would have been cheaper to fly down to Tampa, go see the game, then fly home again than it would have been to see a game in Toronto). It was the last game of the season for both teams, and Austin Matthews (the top scorer in the NHL this season) was at 69 goals, and had one game left to try and get the Leafs record for goals scored in the regular season (70)….so of course we had to go to the game.

The area around the Arena was quite nice.

PXL_20240417_191748315.jpg

PXL_20240417_192325409.jpg

Tammy and I put on our Leaf’s jerseys and joined the fray of Tampa Bay fans heading into the Amalie arena.

PXL_20240417_214234506.jpg

PXL_20240417_215350667.jpg

PXL_20240418_011702958.jpg

The game was fun even though the Leafs lost, and Austin Matthews didn’t get his 70th goal (one kind of funny thing that could have turned inappropriate really quick almost happened. There were some young kids behind us who were “chirping” the Leafs all game (i.e. chanting anti-Leafs things)). As the game was winding down I heard one of the kids say to the other “let’s chant “69” at Austin Matthews”. Fortunately their Mom quickly shot that idea down (and now the kids are probably wondering why Mom jumped to his defense) LOL).

The game ended at around 10:30, and we made our way out of Tampa and about an hour later we finally saw the sign
PXL_20240418_033953362.jpg

to be continued

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Excited to see more. Glad you got to go to a hockey game with your favorite team. This past spring I missed seeing my team (Wild) play in Anaheim & LA by a week, that would have been fun to see them play.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom