Trip Report Might As Well Be Walking On the Sun - June 2024

Hello Friends!

We've been back for a couple of weeks now, so it's time to get this TR rolling!

Who: Me (Ali, rhymes with Sally), my husband Jim, Gwen (16) and Ethan (13)
What: 11 sweaty days celebrating Ethan's 8th grade graduation & our 19th wedding anniversary
Where: Cocoa Beach & a Sheraton time share
When: June 4th-14th 2024

This was our 6th Disney World vacation, but our first time with just our family of 4. We've had one or both of the grandmas with us on every prior trip, including a big family trip for my MIL's 70th birthday.
We wanted a less scheduled, more spontaneous trip this time, so we decided not to purchase Genie+ or ILL's. No regrets on that one. None.
I told Jim I wanted to treat our park days like a trip to Great America (the Chicago area Six Flags park) in the 90's. Feel happy just to be there, and take it one ride at a time.

Day 1 - Tuesday June 4th

After a nearly sleepless night for me, (thanks, travel anxiety!) we were up and on our way by 6:30.

I REALLY don't enjoy flying, but thankfully our flight was smooth. I watched LaLa Land to pass the time. It's one of my favorites, and it never fails to make me happy.

Once we arrived, we grabbed all of our carry-on luggage, picked up our rental mini van and headed for the Cocoa Beach!
We booked an ocean view balcony room at Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach.
At check in, the man at the front desk asked where we were traveling from, and was surprised when we told him the Chicago area. "I was sure you were French or maybe German" 🤷

The room was clean and spacious but unremarkable.
We were there for the view
1000004523.jpg

Everyone was eager to get to the beach, so we did a quick change and headed down.
1000004520.jpg

Meta tortoise friend on the beach path
1000004509.jpg

1000004515.jpg

Gwen's tiny shell collection
1000004519.jpg

I had hoped to have dinner on the beach, but we found a dockside grill that had live music. Good enough!
After dinner we made a quick stop at DQ for ultimate cookie Blizzards for the kids (because ice cream every day), then headed back to the room for an early night.

Day 2 - Wednesday June 5th

We chose our vacation dates months ago and planned to visit the Kennedy Space Center on our first full day. As luck would have it, there was a launch scheduled for 11 o'clock the same day!
I have always wanted to see a launch in person, and for the kids to see one, so it was an exciting morning!
We had a quick complimentary breakfast at the hotel, and were on our way by 8:30.
85ecf40a-f05e-4b1c-9529-8f8a965afb09-1_all_21033.jpg

Once at that visitor complex, we boarded the bus to the Saturn V Center. I was expecting the same 40 minute tour of the facility that we had back in 2016, but now that KSC is once again an active space port, and this was a launch day, it made sense to not take bus loads of people around the launch pads.
After a 10 minute express ride to the site, we quickly found a spot on the bleachers. Only 15 minutes to launch time!
1000004531.jpg

1000004529.jpg

Our timing could not have been more perfect! The group in front of us had been waiting for two hours!
It was already scorching outside. I don't know how they tolerated it for so long!

Just before the countdown, they played an address from the 2 astronauts aboard the Starliner, followed by the National Anthem. It was a beautiful and uplifting moment. I'm so glad we were there ♥️
All systems go for launch!
1000004840.jpg

1000004839.jpg

To say it was thrilling would be an understatement. It was exhilarating and awe-inspiring.

We were so full of excitement, and we weren't even at Disney yet!

meggo819

Hello Friends!

We've been back for a couple of weeks now, so it's time to get this TR rolling!

Who: Me (Ali, rhymes with Sally), my husband Jim, Gwen (16) and Ethan (13)
What: 11 sweaty days celebrating Ethan's 8th grade graduation & our 19th wedding anniversary
Where: Cocoa Beach & a Sheraton time share
When: June 4th-14th 2024

This was our 6th Disney World vacation, but our first time with just our family of 4. We've had one or both of the grandmas with us on every prior trip, including a big family trip for my MIL's 70th birthday.
We wanted a less scheduled, more spontaneous trip this time, so we decided not to purchase Genie+ or ILL's. No regrets on that one. None.
I told Jim I wanted to treat our park days like a trip to Great America (the Chicago area Six Flags park) in the 90's. Feel happy just to be there, and take it one ride at a time.

Day 1 - Tuesday June 4th

After a nearly sleepless night for me, (thanks, travel anxiety!) we were up and on our way by 6:30.

I REALLY don't enjoy flying, but thankfully our flight was smooth. I watched LaLa Land to pass the time. It's one of my favorites, and it never fails to make me happy.

Once we arrived, we grabbed all of our carry-on luggage, picked up our rental mini van and headed for the Cocoa Beach!
We booked an ocean view balcony room at Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach.
At check in, the man at the front desk asked where we were traveling from, and was surprised when we told him the Chicago area. "I was sure you were French or maybe German" 🤷

The room was clean and spacious but unremarkable.
We were there for the view
View attachment 796131
Everyone was eager to get to the beach, so we did a quick change and headed down.
View attachment 796132
Meta tortoise friend on the beach path
View attachment 796133
View attachment 796134

Gwen's tiny shell collection
View attachment 796135
I had hoped to have dinner on the beach, but we found a dockside grill that had live music. Good enough!
After dinner we made a quick stop at DQ for ultimate cookie Blizzards for the kids (because ice cream every day), then headed back to the room for an early night.

Day 2 - Wednesday June 5th

We chose our vacation dates months ago and planned to visit the Kennedy Space Center on our first full day. As luck would have it, there was a launch scheduled for 11 o'clock the same day!
I have always wanted to see a launch in person, and for the kids to see one, so it was an exciting morning!
We had a quick complimentary breakfast at the hotel, and were on our way by 8:30.
View attachment 796136
Once at that visitor complex, we boarded the bus to the Saturn V Center. I was expecting the same 40 minute tour of the facility that we had back in 2016, but now that KSC is once again an active space port, and this was a launch day, it made sense to not take bus loads of people around the launch pads.
After a 10 minute express ride to the site, we quickly found a spot on the bleachers. Only 15 minutes to launch time!
View attachment 796137
View attachment 796138
Our timing could not have been more perfect! The group in front of us had been waiting for two hours!
It was already scorching outside. I don't know how they tolerated it for so long!

Just before the countdown, they played an address from the 2 astronauts aboard the Starliner, followed by the National Anthem. It was a beautiful and uplifting moment. I'm so glad we were there ♥️
All systems go for launch!
View attachment 796139
View attachment 796140
To say it was thrilling would be an understatement. It was exhilarating and awe-inspiring.

We were so full of excitement, and we weren't even at Disney yet!
How cool to get to see this!

cgersic

I'm in for the fun! My launch up close was a night time launch from right across the river at Sand Point Park. One of the most memorable things I've ever experienced!!

MerMom1981

Original Poster
I'm in for the fun! My launch up close was a night time launch from right across the river at Sand Point Park. One of the most memorable things I've ever experienced!!
Very cool! We got to see a night launch as well! Totally unexpected coincidence on the ferry back from MK. No photo tho

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Day 2 continued:

After the big event, most of the crowd made their way to the bus. We on the other hand stayed to explore the exhibits in the Saturn V Center.

Recreating a photo from 2016
1000004547.jpg

My favorite exhibit in this building is the vault, which features prototype space suits as well as genuine artifacts.
Like this coverall worn by Jim Lovell on the Apollo 13 mission.
1000004549.jpg

We hopped the bus back to the visitor complex and headed for the Space Shuttle Atlantis exhibit.
85ecf40a-f05e-4b1c-9529-8f8a965afb09-1_all_5085.jpg

As we headed out, we had to stop in the gift shop to cool off before a quick walk thru the Rocket Garden.
1000004561.jpg

Ethan was the only one willing to hop into the capsule. We were being baked by the sun, and that thing looked like an oven.
1000004559.jpg

We ended our visit mid afternoon and headed back to the hotel to rest before dinner.
We were in the mood for Mexican and ended up at an unassuming spot called Salsa's. It was fantastic!

Early-ish to bed and packing up in the morning

Day 3 - Thursday June 6th

Moving Day!
We had until 11am to check out of the room, so we let the kids sleep in a bit before breakfast.
During our hour+ drive to the Disney area, we discussed lunch options. We decided to head for Disney Springs , since there are several QS spots to choose from, and I wouldn't mind stopping into World of Disney 😁
1000004566.jpg

We parked in the Lime Garage and headed for security. I couldn't help but notice that despite the 97° temperature (nevermind the real feel temp) the group in front of us was all dressed in jeans, some even in long sleeves!
What?! I figured they were probably locals who would insist "This isn't hot" 🙄

We ended up at Blaze Pizza. It's a favorite of Ethan's, but we don't go often because the one near us is in a super inconvenient location.
I failed to take pictures, but I had a caprese salad, which was perfect on such a hot day. Everyone else had pepperoni pizza and blood orange lemonade.

After lunch, we stopped at the ticket center to have our electronic tickets linked to cards.
I know tickets can be accessed from the app, but the kids were having trouble pulling theirs up, so I wanted the sure and simple option.
We were in and out in under five minutes, and the CM's could not have been nicer!

To World of Disney!
They were playing music from Saving Mr. Banks which I absolutely love!
I couldn't resist a photo opp of our grad.
1000004562.jpg

He was not interested in buying the cap, but he allowed me my photo.

Jim spotted this mug
"It's like they made this just for you" ♥️🌱
1000004644.jpg

I should've bought it right then you guys.

It was time to do unfun things like buy groceries for the week and check in at our resort.

We'd be back at DS in a few hours for dinner at Summerhouse on the Lake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom