Cosmic Rewind at WDW

Shybear

Original Poster
The only ride I’ve ever gotten nauseous on is space mountain. I’ve heard cosmic rewind is similar to that. I don’t know why I got sick on space mountain. My question is how similar is cosmic rewind to space mountain? Is it a lot of strobe lights and lights all over the place? I’ve kind of seen it online. Has anyone else experience nausea on this ride?

vikescaper

The only ride I’ve ever gotten nauseous on is space mountain. I’ve heard cosmic rewind is similar to that. I don’t know why I got sick on space mountain. My question is how similar is cosmic rewind to space mountain? Is it a lot of strobe lights and lights all over the place? I’ve kind of seen it online. Has anyone else experience nausea on this ride?
The big thing with Cosmic Rewind is that the cars rotate while going through the attraction. They don’t spin freely and have a set “programming” on how and when the cars rotate. There is a backwards launch and it is faster than Space Mountain. That said, it is a much, much smoother ride than Space Mountain. There are video screens along the walls that display show scenes.

StarWarsGirl

Cosmic Rewind is like Space Mountain on steroids. Though as the above poster said, it's way smoother.

I got off the first time or two a bit nauseous, but after that, I've been fine. The trick is to face forward; do not look around. I've heard people who get motion sick have been able to experience it by using medication right before riding and acupuncture bracelets like Sea Bands. They also have benches right as you get off, so if you need to sit, you can. There's stairs as you exit, but if you're feeling woozy, they have elevators; anyone who needs them can take them.

vikescaper

I wanted to add that I felt nauseous once after the ride but I was coming down with the flu and didn’t realize it at the time.

NickPytlinski

its smoother, doesn't jolt you too much and you can feel/see the turns better. that's how i felt.
although i dont get nauseous on rides.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
The trick is to face forward; do not look around.
This is the one best piece of advice. Just stay focused at what is straight in your view - no head turning.

Alot people get carsick sick/nauseous reading or looking at their phone as passengers. Doesn’t happen as easily if they keep their attention on the road ahead, so the inner ear and eye can agree. It’s the same thing with CR.

On a pure full body physical level I think it’s much less likely to bother people. It’s very smooth and doesn’t have the jolts of old WDW coasters like Space, Thunder and RocknRoll. The best description is like roller skating. There is a rhythm to the sway. Nothing like the car on Primeval Swirl spinning around.

This ride is so incredible it’s worth giving it your best try! They really knocked this one out of the park -
and into the open universe.

Disstevefan1

The only ride I felt a little sick was the tea cups once, LOL, but it was just once and very mild.

I ride all coasters and have never got sick,

I never got sick on Space mountain. I always ride Space mountain even though its rattles a lot and is a rough ride and not smooth like say The Hulk or Rip Ride Rockit.

As for Cosmic Rewind, it seems its a totally different experience (I have only watched on YouTube) and it seems folks that can tolerate Space mountain may get sick on Cosmic Rewind?

I am looking forward to riding Cosmic Rewind.

NickMaio

CR is great.
But damn it really shook me up after.

I am told that looking where the cart points you makes it easier.....

Amazing ride though.
Perhaps take 1/2 a gravol 20 mins before the ride.

It's too awesome to not go on.
I love the pre show.

osian

It's extremely smooth, it might be the smoothness that causes nausea in some people, or it might be the rotation effect, or it might be pops of floaty airtime, or it might be motion in the dark, or it might just be motion. There can be several causes and people are different, and if one ride makes them funny then it doens't mean any other ride would. You mention lighting effects - well, there are many projection screens and lighting effects. None of these things have any nausea effect on me and probably the majority of people. IMO it's not comparable at all to Space Mountain, I can't think of anything in the two rides that is similar, apart from they're coasters in the dark.

erasure fan1

Has anyone else experience nausea on this ride?
I don't do well with motion sickness but Cosmic rewind didn't really bother me. I'd say it was just within my threshold. I could tell if it was any longer I might have had a problem. I wouldn't be able to do it multiple times within a few hours, but that's not really an issue.

RoadiJeff

If you get motion sickness on Space Mountain, stay away from Cosmic Rewind. I get motion sickness fairly easily but Space Mountain doesn't bother me too much.

Even after taking Dramamine, I felt a bit ill for several hours after I rode Cosmic Rewind and TRON last year.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
As for Cosmic Rewind, it seems its a totally different experience (I have only watched on YouTube) and it seems folks that can tolerate Space mountain may get sick on Cosmic Rewind?
When CR first opened the big warning was motion sickness. First riders were likely looking to the side and even behind more than normal, when temptation to discover something new was greatest. Once word got out about keeping head straight and focusing that direction, the reports of sickness died down somewhat.

I can see where Space Mtn might be less likely to cause motion sickness, though if you know what to avoid with CR there’s no longer much difference. Cosmic Rewind is less likely to have issues with physical jarring. I’m sensitive to motion and my spine sensitive to slamming around. Neither ride gives me nausea, only Space Mtn bothers me physically (I limit that kind of coaster to once a day).

Cosmic Rewind? Truly the best ride ever imho. I don’t think it poses much risk for people that can handle most rides at WDW and the payoff is great! For sure worth trying. Just be careful and keep your head straight that 1st time until you get more familiar and you shouldn’t have any issues.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've seen posts from people who say they don't normally get nauseated wind up with nausea from Cosmic Rewind.

And I've seen posts form people who say they usually get nauseated form coasters wind up with no nausea from Cosmic Rewind.

So, you just gotta try it to find out.

If you feel any amount of nausea when you get off, do not go up the stairs. The exertion will make it worse. Wait at the lower landing for it to pass and take the elevator up to the upper landing, and then the other elevator to the other lower landing. (You have to cross over the track to get out.)

NelsonRD

I think the problem is, the ~90 degree shift while the train moves forward. Facing east while the car travels north makes me nauseated.

If they reduced the amount the car turned, to feel more like my truck fish-tailing in the snow, would be way more fun and less nauseating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom