Ohana lately?

Nala06

Original Poster
I feel like it can be so hit or miss. We last ate there in 2017, didn’t have a great meal due to outside factors, and have always wanted a redo. But the price keeps going up, and we have been hesitant due to mixed reviews.

Has anyone eaten dinner there relatively recently and can give their honest opinion?

granfiesta

I've eaten dinner there twice in the past year and both times were fine. However, what was not fine is the price. For a family of 5 (us), it's now almost $350 to eat there, so this is something we won't be doing much more of in the future. That saddens me as Ohana is one of our favorites.

Jon81uk

I've eaten dinner there twice in the past year and both times were fine. However, what was not fine is the price. For a family of 5 (us), it's now almost $350 to eat there, so this is something we won't be doing much more of in the future. That saddens me as Ohana is one of our favorites.
Is the price really that high compared to many other places at WDW? Three courses at Kona Cafe could be $50-65, so Ohana at $62 for adults seems about right or a little high for three courses. The issue is in general I think those with kids aged 10+ where they are paying adult price but those "kids" won't always eat three full courses worth of food. I still think Disney need a "teenager" price for 11-17 year olds for these sort of meals (and an under-21 price for the dining plan).

ToTBellHop

Is the price really that high compared to many other places at WDW? Three courses at Kona Cafe could be $50-65, so Ohana at $62 for adults seems about right or a little high for three courses. The issue is in general I think those with kids aged 10+ where they are paying adult price but those "kids" won't always eat three full courses worth of food. I still think Disney need a "teenager" price for 11-17 year olds for these sort of meals (and an under-21 price for the dining plan).
This is what has been pushing us away from most buffets and signatures lately. I’m not paying $65 for my 11-year olds unless it’s a VERY special occasion.

Jon81uk

This is what has been pushing us away from most buffets and signatures lately. I’m not paying $65 for my 11-year olds unless it’s a VERY special occasion.
I would guess they are putting off or frustrating a lot of people by making tweens/teens pay adult price. Especially with the dining plan or any of the parties where alcohol is included.

LAM378

I’ve had dinner at Ohana at least 10 times in the past decade. Even chose it for my wedding night dinner in 2021. The menu has never returned to pre-2020 levels of greatness, but still always pretty damn good and a must-do for us.

Last night, however, was a different story. The food was as good as it’s been the past few years, but the service was awful. The initial skillets of food they brought out were smaller than ever, meaning we had to ask for more food more often. Our server and her helper would come by the table, ask if we wanted more of anything or drink refills, and then not bring it. Then they’d come around again and ask if we needed anything, and we’d have to ask for the same things we’d already asked for, plus more things now, and then we’d get some but not all, so we’d have to ask again, ad nauseum. We asked for more bread and butter 5 freaking times.

My 15-year-old son is a picky eater, and they’ve always brought him giant adult-sized portions of chicken tenders and fries and mac and cheese. Last night they brought him a child-sized portion of those foods, literally a kids meal, which he finished off in 5 minutes. It took another 20 minutes to get another kids meal for him. That is a long time.

I’ve never balked at the price because I have 2 other teenage sons and a dad with huge appetites, so I had at least the illusion of getting my moneys’ worth. Last night, at $463.14 for 6 adults, tax and tip included, no alcohol, no add ons, I did not feel good paying that bill.

Going there for breakfast today, which I haven’t done since 2018. We’ll see how it goes!

Cubs Brian

Was there about 2 weeks ago. Service and food were very good. Sure the price is high. But what do you expect when your pretty much a captive audience in an expensive resort area?

ToInfinity

We went just a few weeks ago for dinner and LOVED it. Our server was fantastic, food was fantastic, ambience was fantastic. We really enjoyed it. We ate a quite a few sit down restaurants that week, but my whole family agreed that this was their favorite meal. Granted, we had an earlier reservation for dinner (4:05) so that may have made a difference in service and food quality compared to what others are saying perhaps? Not sure. But, we highly enjoyed it.

James J

In the Parks
No
I’ve had dinner at Ohana at least 10 times in the past decade. Even chose it for my wedding night dinner in 2021. The menu has never returned to pre-2020 levels of greatness, but still always pretty damn good and a must-do for us.

Last night, however, was a different story. The food was as good as it’s been the past few years, but the service was awful. The initial skillets of food they brought out were smaller than ever, meaning we had to ask for more food more often. Our server and her helper would come by the table, ask if we wanted more of anything or drink refills, and then not bring it. Then they’d come around again and ask if we needed anything, and we’d have to ask for the same things we’d already asked for, plus more things now, and then we’d get some but not all, so we’d have to ask again, ad nauseum. We asked for more bread and butter 5 freaking times.

My 15-year-old son is a picky eater, and they’ve always brought him giant adult-sized portions of chicken tenders and fries and mac and cheese. Last night they brought him a child-sized portion of those foods, literally a kids meal, which he finished off in 5 minutes. It took another 20 minutes to get another kids meal for him. That is a long time.

I’ve never balked at the price because I have 2 other teenage sons and a dad with huge appetites, so I had at least the illusion of getting my moneys’ worth. Last night, at $463.14 for 6 adults, tax and tip included, no alcohol, no add ons, I did not feel good paying that bill.

Going there for breakfast today, which I haven’t done since 2018. We’ll see how it goes!
How was the breakfast? Interested to know if it being a potential on our list, having never been before.

LAM378

Breakfast was equally awful. The service was dismal and the portions were laughably tiny once again, and we had the same issue with asking for refills and not receiving them. The food was fine, just no luck getting it. The server and helper kept coming back to top off the POG juice but it was like pulling teeth to get food.

I saw a manager on the way out and politely told him that both dinner and breakfast were the worst dining experiences I’ve ever had in WDW, and he seemed surprised and apologetic and said they have a lot of new people working there. Why those new people cannot move pre-made platters of food from the kitchen to the tables, I do not know, but that was his reasoning.

I would never tell anyone not to go try it out — I’m sure I’ll be back for dinner on my next trip, because I’m a glutton for punishment and I love those darned potstickers so much. But if anyone wants a good character breakfast, I’d say skip Ohana and go to Chef Mickey’s. They’ve risen way above their former bad reputation. Super service and the quality and variety of food was really impressive this time.

LAM378

It should come as no surprise the portions are smaller ---Disney executive awhile back stated guest were overweight thus portion reduction.
I do remember that, but I’ve not noticed a portion reduction anywhere else I’ve eaten on property, so this stood out. Buffets are one thing, but portions haven’t seemed significantly smaller at table service restaurants where you order an entree, and QS seems the same as ever.

Picture a single serving cup of fresh fruit you’d pick up at a convenience store. The fruit bowl they gave our family of 6 adults was about that big plus a half. Fruit. A healthy, albeit sugary food. Disney loves us so much they cut us off after one bowl of fruit :hilarious:

John park hopper

I do remember that, but I’ve not noticed a portion reduction anywhere else I’ve eaten on property, so this stood out. Buffets are one thing, but portions haven’t seemed significantly smaller at table service restaurants where you order an entree, and QS seems the same as ever.

Picture a single serving cup of fresh fruit you’d pick up at a convenience store. The fruit bowl they gave our family of 6 adults was about that big plus a half. Fruit. A healthy, albeit sugary food. Disney loves us so much they cut us off after one bowl of fruit :hilarious:
Do Table service restaurants serve complimentary rolls still --if you want more do they charge extra

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Do Table service restaurants serve complimentary rolls still --if you want more do they charge extra
This year I have had complimentary bread (no charge for additional) at Narcoossee’s, ‘Ohana, The Hollywood Brown Derby, Liberty Tree Tavern, Diamond Horseshoe and Kona Cafe. A friend dined at Chefs de France and the baguettes are also complimentary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom