Imminent Changes to Peter Pans Flight

Brer Oswald

I doubt it. As someone who grew up in the UK, where the official video was easy to buy, I can say with confidence that the film’s availability did not make it popular or well know. Everyone in the UK has seen or heard of Dumbo and Peter Pan; that can’t be said of Song of the South. It must also be acknowledged that the issue with the latter film is its entire setup and framing, whereas in the case of the two animated features, the problematic elements are relatively limited and self-contained.
The Indigenous stereotype sequences cannot be “contained”. If you took them out, 2/3rds of the movie would be gone. You’d also have no context as to why Wendy became disillusioned with Peter Pan or Neverland.

The Dumbo sequence is also hard to remove, but it can relatively be “contained”.

LittleBuford

The Indigenous stereotype sequences cannot be “contained”. If you took them out, 2/3rds of the movie would be gone. You’d also have no context as to why Wendy became disillusioned with Peter Pan or Neverland.

The Dumbo sequence is also hard to remove, but it can relatively be “contained”.
By "contained", I don't mean removable. I mean they form distinct elements that are arguably (and I accept it's a matter of opinion) less pervasive and therefore easier to overlook/accept in the context of the otherwise stellar films to which they belong. With SotS, it's the other way around: the good bits are the animated sequences, while everything that surrounds them is the issue.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Do we know for sure if it's reopening Aug 21st, or is that how far out the calendar goes?

It's the first day operational hours are showing and it is no longer listed on the refurbishment calendar:

Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 8.12.55 PM.png

Kev1982

I cant wait untill this protesting generation gets replaced by a new one who will in their turn critisize what is happening now. You can find something in everything if you look for it. I choose not to and enjoy mivies from the past without judgement.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I cant wait untill this protesting generation gets replaced by a new one who will in their turn critisize what is happening now. You can find something in everything if you look for it. I choose not to and enjoy mivies from the past without judgement.
I'm the same; and that which I do not enjoy or condone, I just don't watch. It's not my place to decree that what I personally find offensive has to be offensive to everybody else.

My future daughter-in-law is Native North American, and she is seldom aggrieved by the things that others have decided should offend her.

Kev1982

Trust me, this is all about getting rid of the red faced Indians with big noses.
I hope not. Hope they will update the peter pan figures as they are so outdated. Went a lot of times on it in paris so didnt ever queue in florida but did this month and I couldn’t believe how old they are…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom