New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Chi84

Premium Member
I am saying Disney shouldn’t require paperwork. That doesn’t mean I don’t think workplaces shouldn’t. I don’t think they are equal places at all. One I have to go to and work every day to make money and live, the other is a theme park I’m choosing to go to for fun. I don’t think the same should be required for both situations.

Also a lot of disabled people getting DAS are minor children, which again I think differently submitting medical info for my child at a theme park than myself at my work. Parents might not have the $ to get the dr to sign a form or whatever to go to Disney.
Disney may agree with you since they didn’t go the paperwork route. They are drastically limiting DAS instead.

But I do see the problem with not being able to ask for proof in regard to other theme parks that haven’t limited their programs to the extent Disney has.

jennab55

Disney may agree with you since they didn’t go the paperwork route. They are drastically limiting DAS instead.

But I do see the problem with not being able to ask for proof in regard to other theme parks that haven’t limited their programs to the extent Disney has.
And it might be that lawsuit against the others that is preventing them from going to documentation route. I mean maybe the lawsuit says it’s fine and Disney chooses to go that route then?

Chi84

Premium Member
And it might be that lawsuit against the others that is preventing them from going to documentation route. I mean maybe the lawsuit says it’s fine and Disney chooses to go that route then?
I think the lawsuit will say it's fine, but if the current program seems to be working well enough I doubt Disney wants the hassle of documentation.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I think the assumption is most people won’t actually need to leave the line. It doesn’t seem like it is happening very often.

I wouldn’t call them fakers. Lots of people have medical issues that only come up sometimes. Let’s say for example my husband has IBS. He might need to leave the line sometimes, but not all the time. So in the past he could have qualified for DAS, but didn’t really always need it.

This is exactly the impression i got on the call. They’re trying to weed out guests who need things like DAS “sometimes” and reserve it for those who are likely to need it “most of the time”

jaklgreen

What is your definition of disabled?

IDEA has a list of 13 eligibility categories to qualify to have an IEP. These are disability categories. You have to have re-evaluations every 3 years and go through the forms for the appropriate eligibility category(ies) to determine as a team if a child exhibits the characteristics of that disability category.

IDEA literally stands for Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act. Those with an IEP do have an educational disability. That isn't the same as a medical disability, but it is still a disability.
I don't have a personal definition for a disability. What a strange question. A disability is any physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. That is the definition of a disability. Clearly some school systems are broken if they are trying to get kids into the IEP program for something as little as being bad at math. It might not be the norm, but clearly it happens. They tried to do that with my daughter, saying she had a learning disability. A friend of ours child has dyslexia and they got an IEP. But they are not in any way disabled. It is insane how little oversight there is for these things.
And how does having an educational disability mean that you can't wait in line? That is why they should never use an IEP as proof of a disability.

jaklgreen

I wouldn’t call them fakers. Lots of people have medical issues that only come up sometimes. Let’s say for example my husband has IBS. He might need to leave the line sometimes, but not all the time. So in the past he could have qualified for DAS, but didn’t really always need it.
Well that would be shown though. If you have a flair up, it will show you in the restroom for an extended period of time. My issue is similar to that, where I get flare ups and so do not do well with a scheduled return time. I only end up going on 2-3 rides a day.

jaklgreen

This is exactly the impression i got on the call. They’re trying to weed out guests who need things like DAS “sometimes” and reserve it for those who are likely to need it “most of the time”
But only those with neurological "most of the time" it seems. People are being denied for their physical limitations and that is not right.

Ayla

I am saying Disney shouldn’t require paperwork. That doesn’t mean I don’t think workplaces shouldn’t. I don’t think they are equal places at all. One I have to go to and work every day to make money and live, the other is a theme park I’m choosing to go to for fun. I don’t think the same should be required for both situations.

Also a lot of disabled people getting DAS are minor children, which again I think differently submitting medical info for my child at a theme park than myself at my work. Parents might not have the $ to get the dr to sign a form or whatever to go to Disney.
Um, I hate to point out the obvious, but if you can't afford the (theoretical) dr visit to get documentation, you can't afford a Disney trip.

jaklgreen

Um, I hate to point out the obvious, but if you can't afford the (theoretical) dr visit to get documentation, you can't afford a Disney trip.
Maybe. Maybe grandma and grandpa paid for the trip. Or maybe people are sick of having extra fees and hassle just because of their or their child's disability. Frankly, I think that it is criminal that some doctors charge you for that.

Angel Ariel

I don't have a personal definition for a disability. What a strange question. A disability is any physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. That is the definition of a disability. Clearly some school systems are broken if they are trying to get kids into the IEP program for something as little as being bad at math. It might not be the norm, but clearly it happens. They tried to do that with my daughter, saying she had a learning disability. A friend of ours child has dyslexia and they got an IEP. But they are not in any way disabled. It is insane how little oversight there is for these things.
And how does having an educational disability mean that you can't wait in line? That is why they should never use an IEP as proof of a disability.
Dyslexia is a learning disability. It's covered under the "specific learning disability" eligibility criteria of IDEA. Dyscalcula is a related disability to dyslexia that impacts a student's math skills. Dysgraphia affects writing skills (physical writing). These are disabilities. They are different than physical disabilities and medical disabilities, but they are disabilities.

And, I never said that having an educational disability means you can't be in line. In fact, I specifically said the opposite in this thread just a page or two back or so. But educational disabilities *are* disabilities.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Dyslexia is a learning disability. It's covered under the "specific learning disability" eligibility criteria of IDEA. Dyscalcula is a related disability to dyslexia that impacts a student's math skills. Dysgraphia affects writing skills (physical writing). These are disabilities. They are different than physical disabilities and medical disabilities, but they are disabilities.

And, I never said that having an educational disability means you can't be in line. In fact, I specifically said the opposite in this thread just a page or two back or so. But educational disabilities *are* disabilities.
I think that you are completely taking what I said the wrong way. People where saying that IEPs are being used to prove a disability. And I am saying that those alone should not be used in the case of theme parks, because not all who have an IEP have a disability that precluded them from being able to wait in line. Get a doctor's note, not something from the schools.
And the definition of a disability is any physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

Angel Ariel

I think that you are completely taking what I said the wrong way. People where saying that IEPs are being used to prove a disability. And I am saying that those alone should not be used in the case of theme parks, because not all who have an IEP have a disability that precluded them from being able to wait in line. Get a doctor's note, not something from the schools.
And the definition of a disability is any physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
I do understand what you're saying. I agree that IEPs shouldn't be used as proof.insaid as much a few pages ago.

I do not agree that there are students who have IEPs that do not have disabilities, given all IEPs are explicitly for individuals with disabilities - the name of the law makes it quite clear. You may not personally think dyslexia or similar learning disabilities are disabilities, but they are. Learning disabilities don't impact an individuals ability to stand in line, which is why IEPs shouldn't be used as proof, but they are disabilities.

jennab55

I just don’t think it should be an extra expense. For me, sure it would be no problem, but some people are on high deductible plans or don’t have health insurance. I’d hope most could get paperwork done without a fee, but again, we live in a country where healthcare isn’t free and everyone doesn’t have it, so it could make problems for some.

DisneyHead123

Yeah, an IEP is just an individual learning plan enforced by law. Not medical documentation

It’s not medical documentation but worth noting that in many cases, more testing and a longer evaluation goes into an IEP than a medical diagnosis, by qualified professionals. IEPs are constrained by law in a different way, so that an eligibility process has to happen first. A medical diagnosis could be the result of a team evaluation at a specialty center or it could be the result of a 2 minute chat with a doctor you barely know. I actually think in some ways the IEP is more consistently robust documentation because of the legal requirements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom