First trip to WDW from France

RDL-AP

Hello everyone!

Excuse me in advance for the numerous spelling mistakes, I am French and even if I understand English quite well, I write and speak it very poorly (thanks Google Translate)...

I live in the North of France, near the Belgian border, my name is Lucas, and I am a big fan of the Disney universe and the galaxy far, far away Star Wars haha!

I finally managed to save enough money after 2 years of work to go to WDW for 7 days, it will be my first time and I have many questions.

The most stressful being that linked to my medical treatment, which is categorized as ''narcotic'' in France and therefore also in the USA.

I'm simply afraid of not being able to pass through American customs with my treatment. Is this an unfounded fear? Do US Customs check medications? Is it better to tell them right away that I have this medical treatment in my bag before they even look?

No one in France knows how to give me a precise answer, whether or not my medical treatment is accepted in the United States, that really scares me, because I simply can't 'live' without it (that would be a hell) and so I could say goodbye to my stay at WDW for several years at least if that is not possible..

I am planning to stay 6 days in the parks, and 7 nights at the hotel, I was recommended the Coronado Springs, is this the cheapest hotel in WDW? When do you think? ✔️

At the top, I go ''regularly'' to Disneyland Paris, which is 1 hour from home, and I have just returned from a 2-day stay at the beginning of March. I go there at least 1 or 2 times a year. 🦁

Thanking you in advance for your answers. 😇

Lucas

Tiggertoo56

I have travelled from the UK with people who have medication with them (diabetes, heart issues etc)and hope it will be the same for you if this is similar. If not you may have to check info on this website (gives details for foreign travellers too) https://www.cbp.gov/

Take any medication in oriinal packages (box) and have the prescription ftom the Doctor or hospital with you. All should be kept in your hand luggage and taken out as you go through border control at the Airport (TSA).
I hope this may help in some way.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

You could stop into any travel agency and ask an agent how this is being handled. They certainly would have clients in the same situation you are.
WDW has a category of “Value “ resorts that would be less expensive. There are five of them. Coronado is a “moderate” resort.

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

Comment vas-tu? How wonderful that you're coming to Disney from France! I'll bet that you're so very excited. I used to have a pen pal from the Sorbonne from France. She was so nice. She was taking 4 languages at once. That is totally correct that if you keep the medications in the exact container that they came in and you should just be fine. Don't worry at all. I saw a story from the airport here, and it was really cool that when you travel abroad that they take your photo and it's with customs forever. It saves you from showing your passport at some airports. But I'm not sure if that is just for US passengers. Sorry. Have a very wonderful vacation, and if you have any questions just ask the wonderful people here and I'm sure they'lll be happy to help you. I've not stayed at the Coronado, but I've stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter, which is another moderate also and enjoyed it.

Upvote 0

RDL-AP

Original Poster
Hello everybody!

It's almost one in the morning (1:00 a.m.) in France, so it's night haha! I imagine, off the top of my head, that it must be 9 or 10 a.m. in the USA? 🤔

Thank you for your comments and your reassuring responses!
Concerning my medical treatment, I take a medication called ''Ritaline'' (Ritalin in the United States I believe), for hyperactivity/concentration. An anxiolytic in the evening to help you sleep when needed, and a major opiate for the pain. Will this still work with my doctor's prescription written in French AND in English, with detailed information, the dosage, the exact number of pills and the length of stay? 🫡

I'm thinking of staying at the Coronado!

Would you have any so-called 'off-peak' periods for a stay at WDW? I know that there are a lot of people all the time, but I imagine that there are still a few periods/weeks in the year where the crowds are less?

And, one last question, what attractions would you recommend as a priority at the Magic Kingdom?

Thank you in advance and have a good day/evening everyone! 😇

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

Hello everybody!

It's almost one in the morning (1:00 a.m.) in France, so it's night haha! I imagine, off the top of my head, that it must be 9 or 10 a.m. in the USA? 🤔

Concerning my medical treatment, I take a medication called ''Ritaline'' (Ritalin in the United States I believe), for hyperactivity/concentration. An anxiolytic in the evening to help you sleep when needed, and a major opiate for the pain. Will this still work with my doctor's prescription written in French AND in English, with detailed information, the dosage, the exact number of pills and the length of stay? 🫡

Would you have any so-called 'off-peak' periods for a stay at WDW? I know that there are a lot of people all the time, but I imagine that there are still a few periods/weeks in the year where the crowds are less?

And, one last question, what attractions would you recommend as a priority at the Magic Kingdom?

We've stayed in early May (with the exception of Memorial Day) and September (not fall break for kids) it has been relatively quiet periods for us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDL-AP

Original Poster
Hello and/or good evening!

Thank you for your response Eric! ;)

Do holidays in the United States differ by state or are they all at the same time? What about Florida?

I was told that reserving seats for WDW can be incredibly difficult, is this true? If I plan about 8 to 10 months in advance, is that reasonable enough in your opinion?

Do you think the “Génie +” service is essential? 🤔

I have so many other questions to ask, such a trip already stresses me out in advance, even though it's still more than a year away and no reservations have been made yet haha. 😅

I am also especially afraid that my level of English will not be up to par at all (and it is not...). 🥶

I've been told about a so-called 'hurricane season' in September, should I watch out for this or is it very unlikely?

Thank you very much for your answers and see you soon!

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

L'ouragan les saisons beaucoup active cette annee les etats-unis, mais varie an annee. Quesque-ce que c'est le siege de le restaurant ou l'avion. Je pense Genie est tres essential. Tu desires en anglais Babel? est-ce qu'elles j'habite a la compagne du france. Le restaurant peut etre fait soixante-dix a lavance a six suis dans Florida les temps. J'espère que cela pourra aider. Ne te stresse parce que l'americaines sont tres gentile. Bon chance est bon voyage! :p

Upvote 0

KTK

We traveled to Disneyland Paris May 2023. I think it is the most beautiful Disney Park in terms of landscaping compared to the US parks.
I always carry a small amount of a narcotic with me when traveling due to multiple kidney stones in the past and didn't have a problem or get questioned by customs. I didn't report it ahead of time. Just keep the medication in the original medicine bottle that you got from your pharmacy. Definitely keep all of your medications in your carry-on bag. Many people come to Disney World who don't speak a word of English and are able to manage, Google can definitely help. Holidays are the same throughout all US states.
Hurricane season in the US is June 1st through November 30th
Planning 8-10 months ahead gives you plenty of time to plan. Disney won't "sell out" in September.

Upvote 0

erstwo

Hello everybody!

As long as you are bringing a reasonable amount (enough for each day of your trip) and each medication is in the pharmacy bottle or packaging you should be fine.

If you bring 100 opiate pills and you are only in the United States for 7 days - that might be questioned.

"Off peak" times are rare these days. Don't forget Florida is extraordinarily hot June through early October - if you aren't used to heat and humidity - might be best to plan for early November or early 2025?

Priority attractions at Magic Kingdom will depend on what types of rides you like - do you like roller coasters? Or just the classic Disney rides like Peter Pan?

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

Not sure about the other 50 states, but at least in Hawaii, there are definite state holidays where kids and government shut down. Was so confused when we moved and our kids started school the beginning of Aug and ended in mid-June. They end up missing quite a few days of school for these Hawaiian holidays. But I digress...

OP, September is definitely hurricane season and they can (and have) happened, although WDW is a great place to ride one out. But I would definitely buy trip insurance (I'd do that regardless of when you plan on coming). Hope you have a wonderful vacation. Disneyland Paris is on my list as I hear it is a fantastic park!!

Upvote 0

RDL-AP

Original Poster
Hi Eric! Thank you very much for trying to speak to me in French, that’s very kind of you! 😊

I will start the first steps tomorrow to obtain my passport, it generally takes 1 to 2 months to obtain one in France.

Next week I will ask my doctor to confirm my medication.

By the way, Erstwo, I'm going to WDW for 6 days at least, and then I'll head to Universal Studio for 3 days. In total, I plan to stay 9 or 10 days. And by my calculations, I won't need more than 20 pain pills, so this should do it.

Thanks NelleBelle, I will most definitely buy travel insurance, either way!

If you want, I can give you advice or you can talk about Disneyland Paris, I usually go there! 🤝

In any case, thank you very much everyone for your answers, they enlighten me a lot! 🥳

My greetings from France! 🇲🇫

Upvote 0

RDL-AP

Original Poster
And here is one of the photos from my last stay at Disneyland Paris, 3 weeks ago, to thank you!

Attachments

• 20240313_212342[1].jpg
    20240313_212342[1].jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

Eric Graham

You're so very welcome....My French probably wasn't the best. One of my cousins did missionary work in France, and she said Disneyland Paris was such a fun and beautiful place.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDL-AP

Original Poster
It's not perfect but I understood the gist of your message, that's what matters, thank you again. 😇

Here is the Star Tours entrance to Disneyland Paris, at night:

Attachments

• 20240313_210917[1].jpg
    20240313_210917[1].jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0

Eric Graham

It's not perfect but I understood the gist of your message, that's what matters, thank you again. 😇

Here is the Star Tours entrance to Disneyland Paris, at night:
You are so kind...I had trouble with verbs...masculine and feminine sometimes...in 3rd year we couldn't speak English at all only French.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom