How to prioritize morning strategy

Minnie1986

Headed to Disney later this year, and I'm trying to figure the proverbial "plan of attack." I'll be purchasing Genie+ every day, so I know that at 7:00 AM, I'll be able to book my first Genie+ Lightning Lane, join a virtual queue (depending on the park), and purchase Individual Lightning Lanes. On the days that I need to do all three, how should I prioritize them; meaning which should I go for first, second, and third?

Last edited:

Eric Graham

If it's MK, we usually arrive at Snow White and wait in line first off at rope drop and then get a Lightning Lane or whatever it's called for a second ride. Then we usually add the Haunted Mansion second, and then we add the Jungle Cruise after that (but we're kind of old school....

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

At Epcot, depending on which entrance you go to.. I walk fast then I am able to reach Frozen Ever After pretty quickly, and then get a LL or whatever to Ratatouille and then ride Soarin'.

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

At Hollywood Studios, we usually get to Mickey and Minnie at rope drop fairly quickly, then get a LL or whatever it's called to Toy Story Mania, and then get another pass to Mickey and Minnie. Or you could choose Slinky Dog Dash if you'd rather.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
At Hollywood Studios, we usually get to Mickey and Minnie at rope drop fairly quickly, then get a LL or whatever it's called to Toy Story Mania, and then get another pass to Mickey and Minnie. Or you could choose Slinky Dog Dash if you'd rather.
What I'm trying to do is figure out what would be the best order for 7:00 AM Lightning, Virtual Queue, and Individual Lightning Lane; specifically finding out the best way to prioritize these three things (or just Genie+ and ILL for the parks that don't have VQ). I have the rest of my park strategy all set.

Upvote 0

Eric Graham

What I'm trying to do is figure out what would be the best order for 7:00 AM Lightning, Virtual Queue, and Individual Lightning Lane; specifically finding out the best way to prioritize these three things (or just Genie+ and ILL for the parks that don't have VQ). I have the rest of my park strategy all set.
Well, in all honesty different people have different tastes and appeals on what is their favorite rides. People are different. So It can be very difficult to honestly say that. Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

1. VQ-these usually fill up in seconds, so they are your priority. If you don't get it, try again at 1pm
2. LL-Joining the VQ only takes a few seconds, so your top pick for LL will still be available after you join
3. ILL-This gives you the most time options and often doesn't sell out, so it should be your last priority.
4. Don't stress. You will have a great time whether or not your plans work out. Enjoy

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Headed to Disney later this year, and I'm trying to figure the proverbial "plan of attack." I'll be purchasing Genie+ every day, so I know that at 7:00 AM, I'll be able to book my first Genie+ Lightning Lane, join a virtual queue (depending on the park), and purchase Individual Lightning Lanes. On the days that I need to do all three, how should I prioritize them; meaning which should I go for first, second, and third?
Definitely VQ first, those go within seconds.

Then your first G+

Finally ILLs.

Possibly for AK maybe buy ILL for FoP first, then book G+

Upvote 0

JohnD

Are you staying on or off-site? That will determine when you purchase ILL. On-site, 7am. Off-site. Park open. Also, make sure to purchase G+ before 7am.

1. VQ at 7am. This above anything else. Microseconds matter
2. ILL at 7am (just after VQ) if staying on-site OR first G+ at 7am if staying off-site
3. First G+ at 7am (just after ILL) if staying on-site or ILL at park-open if staying off-site

Remember, to be on top of when park open is so that you can schedule your next G+ every two hours after park open. If you can divide up the work with a family and friend, that's even better, particularly when some things occur simultaneously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Are you staying on or off-site? That will determine when you purchase ILL. On-site, 7am. Off-site. Park open. Also, make sure to purchase G+ before 7am.

2. ILL at 7am (just after VQ) if staying on-site OR first G+ at 7am if staying off-site
3. First G+ at 7am (just after ILL) if staying on-site or ILL at park-open if staying off-site

Remember, to be on top of when park open is so that you can schedule your next G+ every two hours after park open. If you can divide up the work with a family and friend, that's even better, particularly when some things occur simultaneously.
Good catch with the onsite vs offsite question.

But at DHS, if OP wants to ride Slinky she should book G+ before the ILL, even if onsite. Slinky will move to early evening slots very quickly. ILLs rarely sell out that quickly, even at the busiest times unless you’re really unlucky.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster

We'll be staying on-site, thankfully.

Upvote 0

JohnD

But at DHS, if OP wants to ride Slinky she should book G+ before the ILL, even if onsite. Slinky will move to early evening slots very quickly. ILLs rarely sell out that quickly, even at the busiest times unless you’re really unlucky.
Good point. Because we stayed off-site, we obviously did G+ at 7am for Slinky then Rise at park open. We noticed that Rise was only up to 3-4pm selections by 7am. By park open, the earliest time was 7:55pm. Then we had to switch up plans because of that time which I won't bore you with here.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster

My game plan thus far for DHS is to
  1. Try to get MMRR as my first G+ selection
  2. Make an ILL for Rise
  3. Attempt to get Slinky for Early Entry
Or should I do MMRR for Early Entry and secure Slinky Dog as my first G+?

Upvote 0

erstwo

My game plan thus far for DHS is to
  1. Try to get MMRR as my first G+ selection
  2. Make an ILL for Rise
  3. Attempt to get Slinky for Early Entry
Or should I do MMRR for Early Entry and secure Slinky Dog as my first G+?
Okay - so I'm going to disagree with the others just slightly. While it is true that Slinky G+ goes first - that also means you're likely to get a much later time in the day for your LL (let's say you get lucky and get a 1pm LL for Slinky)

One of the strategies to getting the most out of G+ is to try to overcome the '2 hour window' and roll your LLs if at all possible. So if you get a 1pm LL for Slinky - you won't be able to make another LL selection until 11am (if the park officially opens at 9am). Whereas if you can get a LL for MMRR for 9:40am - you can make another LL for a different ride after you tap into MMRR at 9:40 (a whole hour and 20 minutes earlier). Does that make sense?? So you could make a LL for Star Tours or MF at 9:40 instead of 11 am. (and the return times for your next LL would be better/ earlier at 9:40 rather than at 11)

It's a strategy best used at MK - you can literally keep rolling LL and moving onto the next LL reservation after you tap in. At some point during the day, the window for every ride stops being shorter than 2 hours and you just have to wait it out between LL reservations, but this was how I got the most use out of G+ in the mornings.
This strategy will be limited a DHS, but I would rope drop Slinky and grab a LL for MMRR if I were you. (Unless something has changed and MMRR goes as fast as Slinky these days)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom