Disney/Raglan Road Sued Over Food Allergy Death

Weather_Lady

This is heartbreaking. As someone married to an individual with a couple of serious food allergies, this is the nightmare scenario that's always in the back of my mind when we dine away from home.

docdebbi

A true tragedy and an unacceptable one. This poor lady did everything right, and yet still died. I am against lawsuits in general, but sometimes, it is so egregious that it needs to be.

Wendy Pleakley

Not to downplay this, but this happens hundreds of times a year. It only gets the widespread attention because it's Disney.

A fight at any other theme park? Crickets. A fight at Disney? Major news story! Same thing here.

I also wonder if that's a reason they're suing Disney, who is a landlord in this case. They don't run the restaurant. Get media attention as a means to an end.

Lilofan

Not to downplay this, but this happens hundreds of times a year. It only gets the widespread attention because it's Disney.

A fight at any other theme park? Crickets. A fight at Disney? Major news story! Same thing here.

I also wonder if that's a reason they're suing Disney, who is a landlord in this case. They don't run the restaurant. Get media attention as a means to an end.
Big difference - a guest died because of what happened.

Bastet

Why go ahead and eat something you had to question? The part about the guarantee about being allergen free does not ring true. Nowhere that I have eaten with a family member with a severe food allergy is ever willing to say that.

Vegas Disney Fan

Is it common for an allergic reaction to happen so long after eating?

My GF has allergies and her reactions are instantaneous, within a minute or 2 at most, I was surprised to read this happened nearly an hour after eating and she’d already made it 1/4 of the way across Disney Springs.

It’s tragic no matter how it happened, my first impression was she must have eaten or come into contact with something after leaving the restaurant though.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Very tragic. Good friend of ours has a DW who has very high sensitivity to peanuts. They will only dine in local restaurants where they have had experienced positive experiences and know the staff are careful in how and what they cook in. They refuse to dine out in any restaurants when they vacation because of the carelessness of some places. Theyve had enough emergency room visits happen where now they just wont chance it.

Eric Graham

My wife's point on this is it's very tragic and that it took place in a restaurant, but say for example how can you prevent someone from walking by with something you're allergic to say at walking through the countries of Epcot. The FDA just approved an asthma drug that can reduce allergic reactions in food allergies:

Figgy1

My GF has allergies and her reactions are instantaneous, within a minute or 2 at most, I was surprised to read this happened nearly an hour after eating and she’d already made it 1/4 of the way across Disney Springs.

It’s tragic no matter how it happened, my first impression was she must have eaten or come into contact with something after leaving the restaurant though.
I'm sure Disney legal is going through all the footage since this was filed. 45 minutes or so with multiple points of possible cross contamination will probably make the suit a nightmare.
No matter how it happened this is very sad

Wendy Pleakley

I'm sure Disney legal is going through all the footage since this was filed. 45 minutes or so with multiple points of possible cross contamination will probably make the suit a nightmare.
No matter how it happened this is very sad

Does Disney even do that in this case? They're the landlord. Do they not argue that they are not the responsible party?

I guess it depends on how much control Disney actually exerts over their Disney Springs tenants. Are the considered part of Disney to some degree with any expectations and responsibilities that go along with being in the Disney bubble?

Sounds like a potential slippery slope where a landlord is responsible for a tenant harming their customer.

Figgy1

Does Disney even do that in this case? They're the landlord. Do they not argue that they are not the responsible party?

I guess it depends on how much control Disney actually exerts over their Disney Springs tenants. Are the considered part of Disney to some degree with any expectations and responsibilities that go along with being in the Disney bubble?

Sounds like a potential slippery slope where a landlord is responsible for a tenant harming their customer.
My guess and this is just a guess Disney's legal team will provide multiple points to prove they're not responsible and if they can get a long-term tenant off it's a win for both. Imho again just a guess but proving it could have been an inadvertent event will make it easier to make the whole thing go away
As for Disney's responsibility it may depend on the terms of the lease and how much actual control they have.
Side note Disney does provide instructions to contact special diets with allergy concerns and a way to mark them on every ADR

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Disney has deeper pockets the Raglan.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Anaphylaxis normally happens quickly, but can it sometimes take longer..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom