News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Mr. Sullivan

Why do only two rides?
1. 1-3 is the standard attraction count for a land at opening. That is consistent across both Disney and Universal and has been for many years now. This land is getting 3.

2. Indy is not some slapdash redress (at least not at this stage). It’s a complete gutting of the interior save for the track to incorporate completely brand new sets, animatronics, and more, topped off with a completely brand new facade. This is being done while a completely ground up attraction is being done in the same land.

3. This is not the only project at the resort they’re working on. 3/4 parks are seeing major construction projects in various stages.

4. They have a whole other resort in the US that is also undergoing a major multi-year transformation at the same time. There are only so many people and so many resources domestically to work on 5 (maybe even 6 if EPCOT gets its rumored refurb cycle) theme parks that all are getting major work at overlapping times.

Bocabear

1. 1-3 is the standard attraction count for a land at opening. That is consistent across both Disney and Universal and has been for many years now. This land is getting 3.

2. Indy is not some slapdash redress (at least not at this stage). It’s a complete gutting of the interior save for the track to incorporate completely brand new sets, animatronics, and more, topped off with a completely brand new facade. This is being done while a completely ground up attraction is being done in the same land.

3. This is not the only project at the resort they’re working on. 3/4 parks are seeing major construction projects in various stages.

4. They have a whole other resort in the US that is also undergoing a major multi-year transformation at the same time. There are only so many people and so many resources domestically to work on 5 (maybe even 6 if EPCOT gets its rumored refurb cycle) theme parks that all are getting major work at overlapping times.
There are plenty of people with talent to build... Disney can hire more... How on earth was Epic able to build an entire park in 5 years with Disney taking up all the creative resources for their Communicore Cafeteria flex-space Hall, Corporate campus park and educational splash pad? lol...

spectromagic04

In Dinoland currently and just saw a group of imagineers and executives touring the area.

I overheard some of what the guide was saying and I heard something like "Tropical Americas". They all had headsets on as well. The guys shirt had the WDI logo on it.
View attachment 820569
View attachment 820570

I was originally trying to peek through the walls to see if anything was new then the above happened lol.
I think the silver fencing is new, and there was some staged construction stuff (not in pictures).
View attachment 820571
View attachment 820572
Yeah I don’t think they are imagineers. Pretty positive it’s an orientation tour for new cast members at Animal Kingdom.

lazyboy97o

The number of people assigned to multiple projects is very small. Most of the people who will be working on Indiana Jones will not be working on Encanto and vice versa. The idea of a small group working on everything is a myth. So no, it’s not an issue staff bandwidth. If they wanted to do another attraction they would hire a staff for that project just like every other.

Mr. Sullivan

There are plenty of people with talent to build... Disney can hire more... How on earth was Epic able to build an entire park in 5 years with Disney taking up all the creative resources for their Communicore Cafeteria flex-space Hall, Corporate campus park and educational splash pad? lol...
The number of people assigned to multiple projects is very small. Most of the people who will be working on Indiana Jones will not be working on Encanto and vice versa. The idea of a small group working on everything is a myth. So no, it’s not an issue staff bandwidth. If they wanted to do another attraction they would hire a staff for that project just like every other.
I know it’s not the same staff or a small group working, that’s not my point. I’m not speaking just about people with boots on the ground at a construction site, I’m talking about everyone involved from the bottom to the top as well as the limit of what they’re able to do at once and what resources are available to them.

There does come a point where there are too many balls in the air and not enough eyes and hands to successfully watch and juggle them all. The more attractions you add to a project, the more people have to get involved, the more logistics you have to manage, the more money you have to move around (which will impact other components of the project), the more resources you have to use, the more time it takes.

4 attractions is too much commitment and too many elements all at once for TA when 4 other parks are receiving the same amount of intense work.

As for the Epic comparison, there isn’t really a comparison to be made. Epic Universe isn’t an open and operational theme park. None of that work has to consider guests walking through the park while they’re working. It’s also interesting to note that each of Epic’s lands is also getting only 1-3 attractions each, and Disney plans to have a lot of this stuff open within the next 5 or so years.

gerarar

Premium Member
We don’t know that these were “imagineers” - they could be on a Disney institute or other type of private tour and being led by a local WDI employee - as one example.
The tour guide and the guy were WDI. Their shirts had the WDI logo and imagery on it. The others not so sure, could be managers at the park or something, but they do seem Parks related per their name tag.

They pointed to where I was standing while passing by, which is where the walls are currently

Edit just saw @wdwmagic's reply, so now I'm sorta confused why two of them were wearing WDI outfits. I walked right past them when they were under the dinosaur sculpture to get a better view lol

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

that photo in the twitter post reminded me - I do hope they can save the concrete dinosaur outside of the gift shop. It was created by folk artist Gregory Warmack, who has since passed away. His art is on display in many museums including the Smithsonian.

lazyboy97o

I know it’s not the same staff or a small group working, that’s not my point. I’m not speaking just about people with boots on the ground at a construction site, I’m talking about everyone involved from the bottom to the top as well as the limit of what they’re able to do at once and what resources are available to them.

There does come a point where there are too many balls in the air and not enough eyes and hands to successfully watch and juggle them all. The more attractions you add to a project, the more people have to get involved, the more logistics you have to manage, the more money you have to move around (which will impact other components of the project), the more resources you have to use, the more time it takes.

4 attractions is too much commitment and too many elements all at once for TA when 4 other parks are receiving the same amount of intense work.

As for the Epic comparison, there isn’t really a comparison to be made. Epic Universe isn’t an open and operational theme park. None of that work has to consider guests walking through the park while they’re working. It’s also interesting to note that each of Epic’s lands is also getting only 1-3 attractions each, and Disney plans to have a lot of this stuff open within the next 5 or so years.
Epic Universe is an example of how it is something that is scaled. The lands do not have the same resources because the scope of work for each is not the same. All while also having teams in various stages of work on two additional parks and new additions to the existing parks.

If there was a point where you couldn’t scale up more than just designing a park would be a serious issue, but it’s not. A bigger land isn’t the limitation of scaling the team to accomplish the work.

KDM31091

At least we get one more holiday season with the decorations that are cute. I expect Dinosaur itself is safe until after spring break at the least.

Very sad day, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom