Disney World in 1973

mergatroid

Original Poster
Looked so sort of sparse back then especially from the aerial shots. Tomorrowland especially, with no Space Mountain and far less trees. I also noticed the Crystal Palace appeared to have a walk around orchestra rather than characters. The boating looked really different too and so much busier (and dangerous). As somebody who often boats on the seven seas lagoon, I know how keen the keen the CM's are to keep you away from the ferries, looked absolute chaos with all the different types of boats out there.

Last edited:

Janice R29

A lovely blast from the past courtesy of Disney World Gold. The MK quite a bit smaller and looking rather different. Also shows the live band disappearing beneath the floor where Cosmic Ray now performs.

Thanks for sharing! That monorail is so cool. Also, people are dressed very well.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was wondering. My first visit was summer of 73 and there were a couple of things in Tomorrowland open (Flight to the Moon and If You Had Wings) and the video just 'waved their hands' about that part of the land.
Yes. When this film was made the most photogenic thing in Tomorrowland was the speedway. Opening day had just the Speedway and Skyway operating. Imagine that one !

John park hopper

Great movie was there in 72, 73, 75, 77, Just as I remember it -- what a fantastic time. For me that was WDW at it's best, new, clean, everything worked, people were much more considerate and civil, prices were reasonable and Disney wasn't promoting endless merchandize. My opinion and mine alone.

Last edited:

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
Great movie was here in 72, 73, 75, 77, Just as I remember it -- what a fantastic time. For me that was WDW at it's best, new, clean, everything worked, people were much more considerate and civil, prices were reasonable and Disney wasn't promoting endless merchandize. My opinion and mine alone.
But they only had cartoon starbursts in terms of memes and not Zurg or Tim Curry as a robot.

Clamman73

When was this made into a covered area?
Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 7.40.48 PM.png

CntrlFlPete

Looked so sort of sparse back then especially from the aerial shots. Tomorrowland especially, with no Space Mountain and far less trees. I also noticed the Crystal Palace appeared to have a walk around orchestra rather than characters. The boating looked really different too and so much busier (and dangerous). As somebody who often boats on the seven seas lagoon, I know how keen the keen the CM's are to keep you away from the ferries, looked absolute chaos with all the different types of boats out there.

was nice to see the round boat in there. I had started to wonder if my memories from my first trip were correct as we took one of those out. I kept thinking it was such an odd vessel that my memories must have been incorrect. Again, nice to see I was correct in that they did exist!

I thought the whole reason one took the little speed boats out was to ride in the wake of the ferries. It was a ton of fun!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
was nice to see the round boat in there. I had started to wonder if my memories from my first trip were correct as we took one of those out. I kept thinking it was such an odd vessel that my memories must have been incorrect. Again, nice to see I was correct in that they did exist!

I thought the whole reason one took the little speed boats out was to ride in the wake of the ferries. It was a ton of fun!

Bob-a-rounds had a bad problem with being underpowered, so when the wind was blowing harder than a few miles an hour, they had to go recover them because they just drifted wherever the wind wanted them to go.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
A different time.

I was there during the early 70’s as a toddler though I don’t remember much.

My memories kick in from the late 70’s. The 80’s at WDW were great too.

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
Someone said that round 1976, the Snow White ride ended with the witch lighting the fuse on a room full of dynamite. I don't think that's true, but what the (Toad ending)?!?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom