Lighthouse Point to welcome guests in Summer 2024

DisneyHead123

Yeah, I am really puzzled by this.

I appreciate the attempts to involve local artists and construct an environmentally friendly facility. The execution, though, looks like a pretty standard tourist facility with no real Disney flourishes. Indeed, this doesn't really seem like a Disney-designed facility at all. It looks like something that could have been built by the local government or a mid-size hotel chain.
It’s funny how there seems to be an all-or-nothing approach with Disney theming these days. Maybe just different design teams? The cruise ships are more themed than ever but the new DVCs and remodeled rooms are much more minimalist with much less theming.

Disone

It’s funny how there seems to be an all-or-nothing approach with Disney theming these days. Maybe just different design teams? The cruise ships are more themed than ever but the new DVCs and remodeled rooms are much more minimalist with much less theming.
Maybe. The aristocat lounge on the treasure looks a little ordinary.... And the new concierge lounge on the dream, supposedly themed to the muses from Hercules, looks like any place USA Hyatt concierge.

I'm worried the minimalistic theming that has infected the resorts is now bleeding over to the cruise line 😞

DisneyHead123

Maybe. The aristocat lounge on the treasure looks a little ordinary.... And the new concierge lounge on the dream, supposedly themed to the muses from Hercules, looks like any place USA Hyatt concierge.

I'm worried the minimalistic theming that has infected the resorts is now bleeding over to the cruise line 😞
I know that’s definitely a look in other places but I feel like Disney visitors go specifically for the theming in many cases. That’s not to say it all has to be IP of course, just themed.

It’s almost like Disney is replicating the home decor of (some of) their target audience in the resorts. No matter how popular pale grey wood is in interior decorating, I’m assuming people don’t travel to Disney to see something that resembles their living room. I hope they up their game a bit.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There doesn’t need to be the beat-you-over-the-head level of theming seen on the Wish. I’m on a Disney cruise - I don’t need to be reminded of it every other step.

DisneyHead123

There doesn’t need to be the beat-you-over-the-head level of theming seen on the Wish. I’m on a Disney cruise - I don’t need to be reminded of it every other step.
I’ve only seen the Wish via video so it’s difficult to tell how much theming there is. From what I can see, I like the level of theming but it’s very princess heavy, so those not into that look probably aren’t going to like it. I like it for one ship, so long as the others have different themes, which so far they will.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’ve only seen the Wish via video so it’s difficult to tell how much theming there is. From what I can see, I like the level of theming but it’s very princess heavy, so those not into that look probably aren’t going to like it. I like it for one ship, so long as the others have different themes, which so far they will.
Theming on the Wish is very heavy-handed. It wasn’t my cup of tea. And the removal of Jimmy Buffett from the background music rotation and replaced by generic/instrumental Disney songs is unforgivable in my book.

DisneyHead123

Theming on the Wish is very heavy-handed. It wasn’t my cup of tea. And the removal of Jimmy Buffett from the background music rotation and replaced by generic/instrumental Disney songs is unforgivable in my book.
If I had to choose between too much theming and too little, my preference would be too much, so I do prefer the look of the Wish to the minimalistic neutral palette they favor in other places. But I understand others feel differently. I wonder if their audience is split down the middle on this, hence the different styles.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If I had to choose between too much theming and too little, my preference would be too much, so I do prefer the look of the Wish to the minimalistic neutral palette they favor in other places. But I understand others feel differently. I wonder if their audience is split down the middle on this, hence the different styles.
I'd say most of the Wish's audience has never sailed on a Disney cruise ship before and is wowed by it all. Like the parks, those of us with history know a rotten apple when we see it. Everything $lappie touched during his time as P&R head and CEO had one common theme - They are as subtle as a jackhammer. You are hit over the head and bombarded with "theme" every second, at every turn. Because there could be a chance that you've forgotten in the last 3 seconds.

DisneyHead123

I'd say most of the Wish's audience has never sailed on a Disney cruise ship before and is wowed by it all. Like the parks, those of us with history know a rotten apple when we see it. Everything $lappie touched during his time as P&R head and CEO had one common theme - They are as subtle as a jackhammer. You are hit over the head and bombarded with "theme" every second, at every turn. Because there could be a chance that you've forgotten in the last 3 seconds.
I think part of it is “IP” vs. “theme”. Personally I don’t mind the IP but I think if you counted up the themed elements in a place like Port Orleans Riverside and compared it to comparable parts of the Wish, they’re probably similar. It’s just that one Frozen painting in an otherwise plain room is really going to pop out at you, while several elements themed to the New Orleans backwoods blend more naturally.

Seems like they’re trying to compromise with things like the Fantasia suite and might end up pleasing no one. (What do I know though, maybe there’s a market for it.) While I know the official term is “animated films”, they’re still kind of… you know… cartoons. And there’s a reason the word “cartoony” exists as an adjective, because cartoons by their very nature are not typically subtle and refined. (I remember those arty, wispy watercolor cartoons people sometimes made when I was young and I pretty much hated them. I’m looking at you, The Snowman. Kids usually need sharper visual contrasts.)

DCLcruiser

Yes. One of the benefits of the original ships was that they took an art-deco, pinnacle of cruising, style and added a dash of Disney. They felt upscale and familar at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom