Lighthouse Point to welcome guests in Summer 2024

jme

Interesting - to me the disruption is going to be the actual construction of the pier which would be the same either way.

I definitely think it was a mistake. I’m also wondering why Disney wanted to work with the Bahamas if they were going to be so picky - why not just buy another island?
The EIA looked at longer term impacts than just those from construction, i.e. shade cast by the pier killing off coral (some species of which are endangered), or the build up of sand at the pilings impacting the sea floor, etc.
Here you can read the Full Report which is very thorough and detailed into their findings and mitigations. Likewise you can read the full Environmental Management Plan which details their long-term post-construction efforts, which includes things like species relocations, debris cleanup, etc.

As far as other islands, I'll quote my earlier post:
Earlier in the same Public Meeting they also talk about why they chose Lighthouse Point, Eluthera noting that they looked at several other locations nearby, including Egg Island in Eluthera and Morgan's Bluff in Andros and some locations in the Berry Islands - and after initial EIA they didn't want to move forward with those because they would all require dredging and destruction of coral reefs.

Edit to add: I misread - all of those other properties are within the Bahamas. I'm not sure if non-Bahamian islands were considered.

ToTBellHop

The EIA looked at longer term impacts than just those from construction, i.e. shade cast by the pier killing off coral (some species of which are endangered), or the build up of sand at the pilings impacting the sea floor, etc.
Here you can read the Full Report which is very thorough and detailed into their findings and mitigations. Likewise you can read the full Environmental Management Plan which details their long-term post-construction efforts, which includes things like species relocations, debris cleanup, etc.

Edit to add: I misread - all of those other properties are within the Bahamas. I'm not sure if non-Bahamian islands were considered.
I presume they wanted to stick with a place close to the east coast of Florida, since itineraries from there are their bread and butter. So it’s Bahamas or bust.

I’m sure these early hiccups will smooth over with time. I’m interested to learn what the current active construction is for. New bike paths but what else?

asianway

There’s boucoup tax benefits in the Bahamas, so….

Disone

The pier measures about 35’ on google maps (or is it the dock? What the ship goes up against it). The tram lane turnaround at Epcot is about 70’ - so yes it would be about double the width.

I agree with you - this seems very odd.
Couldn't they have just made it wider at only the point the tram needed to turn around?

Kept everything else narrow, just wide enough to have a tram lane and a pedestrian Lane.

Maybe they didn't think of that option? Minimizing the environmental also no doubt helped to minimize construction costs. So those two things lined up very nicely and so now we have what we have. I guess if I go I'm bringing an umbrella regardless of what the weather looks like.

ToTBellHop

Couldn't they have just made it wider at only the point the tram needed to turn around?

Kept everything else narrow, just wide enough to have a tram lane and a pedestrian Lane.

Maybe they didn't think of that option? Minimizing the environmental also no doubt helped to minimize construction costs. So those two things lined up very nicely and so now we have what we have. I guess if I go I'm bringing an umbrella regardless of what the weather looks like.
The whole thing would need to be wider to accommodate a tram and walkers.

Disone

I mean, at Bimini there is no separation and people just get out of the way when the tram comes through.

Currently they are running lots of golf carts on the path.
This is a great point. It's not as long a pier but still great point. Disney being Disney I am sure they would want separation.

Would have been neat if all they did is a dock for the ship and a skyliner from the dock to island. So just the towers and perhaps make it a Funitel type lift system which is far more wind resistant.

jme

I still can't wrap my head around not just using tenders like many other islands... that pier could be for golf carts and such to unload equipment, provisions, etc. but guests should be tendered by boat to the nearby marina.

TrainsOfDisney

I still can't wrap my head around not just using tenders like many other islands... that pier could be for golf carts and such to unload equipment, provisions, etc. but guests should be tendered by boat to the nearby marina.
tenders are often not accessible to all guests.

Vegas Disney Fan

I was actually planning on Utopia of the Seas next year but it goes to Nassau and Coco. Couldn’t turn down the Castaway/Lookout itinerary on Magic for the same dates when it was announced. Wish somehow costs more for the same dates going to Nassau and Castaway. Why on earth would I pay more to go to Nassau on that ship?
We weren’t planning on a DCL Bahamas cruise this year either but after seeing cruises that do both Cays, and on the Fantasy, we were sold.

My initial impression (from watching videos) is we’ll still prefer Castaway but we won’t know until we try it.

Disone

Tenders are not ideal and in general cruise passengers dislike a tender processes. Results in Lines to get off the ship lines to get off the island. It's not a great process.

But maybe in addition too? So then guests could have the option. Tender ride or self-baking hike on a pier. Let's see how much they dislike that tender process now 🙂

Chip Chipperson

I mean, at Bimini there is no separation and people just get out of the way when the tram comes through.

Currently they are running lots of golf carts on the path.
Yeah, they could also add some sort barrier to separate the pedestrians from the tram path - or just say, "You have to take the tram." I doubt many guests would be upset about missing out on the walk along the concrete pier in the sun (or rain, for that matter).

Sir_Cliff

The more I look at details the less interested I am in going.

Yeah, the beach is the star of the show, but genuinely everything else looks genuinely bad. Bad execution, bland architecture. What a dud. We should expect more given DCL’s prices.

I don't get all the EPCOT criticism when this exists.
Yeah, I am really puzzled by this.

I appreciate the attempts to involve local artists and construct an environmentally friendly facility. The execution, though, looks like a pretty standard tourist facility with no real Disney flourishes. Indeed, this doesn't really seem like a Disney-designed facility at all. It looks like something that could have been built by the local government or a mid-size hotel chain.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom