News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

celluloid

This is fascinating in that speaks a lot to Japan as a country in general. A lot of things about Japan are great, but the country has been almost totally stagnant since the bubble burst in the ‘90s and there is deep resistance to change and modernization.

There are many places in Japan (neighborhoods, hotels, tourism resorts etc) that have basically never changed at all since the late ‘80s. It’s like going in a surreal time machine. TDS reminds me of that sometimes as very little of TDS has actually changed since opening (again Fantasy Springs will change some of that).

Being the country with the second oldest population in the world will do that.

It is one thing I never thought of and a major thing I loved while there.

Everything seemed like it was the 90s, but perfected.

And in some cases, you go to a department store and it is like it has not changed many aspects since the 40s and you can feel underclassed or at least underdressed.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

This came out during the most recent DL Forward conference: guidelines on what can be built in the Simba lot. The taller the structure is, the further away from Walnut street it must be. Depending on the land and scale, this sounds like it might take Avatar out of contention for the Simba lot and make the original Hollywoodland rumors all the more credible. But who knows maybe they could work around it by designing the land in a way where the E ticket boat ride buts up against Katella Avenue instead.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
This came out during the most recent DL Forward conference: guidelines on what can be built in the Simba lot. The taller the structure is, the further away from Walnut street it must be. Depending on the land and scale, this sounds like it might take Avatar out of contention for the Simba lot and make the original Hollywoodland rumors all the more credible. But who knows maybe they could work around it by designing the land in a way where the E ticket boat ride buts up against Katella Avenue instead.

How tall do you think the rockwork of Avatar will be? The Matterhorn is 147' tall. Based on that chart it can be this close to Walnut:

1713325876552.png

So even if they built the show buildings against Walnut and put rock work in the eastern side of those buildings, they'd still be able to go fairly tall. I'd guess if Avatar went west of Disneyland Dr. they would butt it up against Disneyland Dr. anyway.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I think while Avatar is being used as something to dangle tangibly for Disneyland Forward, it is still likely planned for the backlot, but Disneyland forward requires passing to push it out into the bus loop, expanding DCA beyond its borders.
If Avatar goes into Hollywoodland, I wonder if the one of the plans for the Simba lot could involve cloning the rumored DHS expansion behind Animation courtyard.

choco choco

It doesn't take anything out of contention. The smallest height on that chart, the one closest to the street, is a building fifty feet high. That is the height of the Indiana Jones Adventure show building, a ride that is on two levels. Splash Mountain's show building, a ride also on two levels, is forty feet high (the actual show mountain is higher). Rise of the Resistance is somewhere around 50-60 feet (give or take the equipment up there). Fifty feet is very high up, and every twenty feet laterally you gain another ten feet. Given Disney usually puts a service road behind every show building, you really are looking at 60 feet height as your first real limit. That is plenty high and very, very few dark rides will need that height.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It doesn't take anything out of contention. The smallest height on that chart, the one closest to the street, is a building fifty feet high. That is the height of the Indiana Jones Adventure show building, a ride that is on two levels. Splash Mountain's show building, a ride also on two levels, is forty feet high (the actual show mountain is higher). Rise of the Resistance is somewhere around 50-60 feet (give or take the equipment up there). Fifty feet is very high up, and every twenty feet laterally you gain another ten feet. Given Disney usually puts a service road behind every show building, you really are looking at 60 feet height as your first real limit. That is plenty high and very, very few dark rides will need that height.
As an example how tall are the Radiator Springs mountains on the backside of DCA? I imagine that any facade facing Walnut would be at least that high.

captveg

Additionally, if the recent art is any indication, the Anaheim Avatar setting is more inspired by the sequel's water culture rather than the sky mountain culture of the original film / Florida attraction, which could naturally keep the height needs more manageable.

In any case, using the area across the street from Pixar Pier next to the hotel makes most sense for the Avatar land. That would presumably still leave another section between it and the Disneyland hotel for even further expansion / another land from the DisneylandForward footprint.

Last edited:

WoundedDreamer

People visiting now are coming at the resort from a background and context that is quite different, not helped by the fact that TDR is probably the least "fully open" post-2020, but many are still drawn by the enthusiastic raves of those who visited when the resort was at the head of the class. They're being drawn by the siren songs of a place that doesn't quite exist in the same way, and certainly doesn't exist in the same context.

Additionally, there are vocal English-speaking TDR locals with decent-sized social media followings in a way that I'm not aware of for the other International resorts, who have likewise thrown the flaws of the current OLC theme park experience into stark relief (and some again on the "grass is always greener" aspect: the vast majority of those people would trade the Tokyo parks for the DLR parks as they exist right now over what they have in their backyard).
Yeah, I would trade Mediterranean Harbor and American Waterfront any day for Black Spire Outpost and Toy Story Land. The people who rave about the environments at TDS really don't see how immersive Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Swirling Saucers are. Plus, they're newer. And newness is better than placemaking from the early 2000s. Seriously, where am I supposed to live my Star Wars story at Tokyo Disney Sea? I'm stuck riding things like the boring Tower of Terror and Journey to the Center of the Earth. Where's Rey and Finn?

The only redeeming quality of TDR is their excellent merchandise. But now that Duffy and friends are being sold at Walt Disney World and Disneyland, what exactly does TDR have to offer? Very sad to see the state of those parks.

MistaDee

As the official armchair imagineer who manifested an Avatar E ticket boat ride in the Hollywood Backlot/ Bus transpo area long before any insiders dropped any rumors I’m here for you. What would you like to know?

Wow honored to have you here, thank you for your time

What would you say will be the "wow" moment for this experience?

mickEblu

Wow honored to have you here, thank you for your time

What would you say will be the "wow" moment for this experience?

My pleasure. I would say the wow moments will be the reveal of the beautiful beach/ cliff vista as well as some of the state of the art tech on attraction. I’m thinking the reverse of how riders go “up to the surface” for the pirate ship battle on Shanghai Pirates. Here we’ll go under water from the surface to see whales from the sequel etc.

PiratesMansion

Yeah, I would trade Mediterranean Harbor and American Waterfront any day for Black Spire Outpost and Toy Story Land. The people who rave about the environments at TDS really don't see how immersive Slinky Dog Dash and Alien Swirling Saucers are. Plus, they're newer. And newness is better than placemaking from the early 2000s. Seriously, where am I supposed to live my Star Wars story at Tokyo Disney Sea? I'm stuck riding things like the boring Tower of Terror and Journey to the Center of the Earth. Where's Rey and Finn?

The only redeeming quality of TDR is their excellent merchandise. But now that Duffy and friends are being sold at Walt Disney World and Disneyland, what exactly does TDR have to offer? Very sad to see the state of those parks.
Lol I never said it made sense, just reporting what I see.

Incidentally, I've never seen those same people clamor for WDW or any of the other parks in the same way as they do for DLR specifically. It's fascinating, and a textbook example of "grass is always greener" fan behavior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom