2023 Walt Disney Company Annual Meeting Of Shareholders

Smiley/OCD

That reminds me of all the Disco Sucks rallies in the 70’s…the mass smashing of records at Wrigley Field (I believe)…how’d that go? Lol…
We all know that boycotts don’t work…it just gives people some incentive and meaning…even boycotting with your wallet ala Disney doesn’t work.
As far as the NFL and Colin Kapernic goes, he was just a bad QB…that’s why he’s still unemployed. I have had season tickets for my Jets since 1990… I know the first season I give them up, they’ll go to the Super Bowl, so I stay miserable. At least when I leave Disney, even though I’m lighter in the wallet, I have a smile on my face.

Magenta Panther

Meanwhile, Illumination's Super Mario Bros. movie will rake in a global haul of 368 million in its first week.

Current 5-Day Studio Estimates for The Super Mario Bros. Movie Domestic - $195.0M International - $173.0M Global $368.0M

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/...eekend-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4485663

A nice little family film with no political posturing, no alterations for current sensibilities, is a roaring, smashing success. Who'd have thought? 🥳

Compare that to the underperformers and outright flops that are the Disney cinematic output of late.

There's a lesson to be learned here...

ElvisMickey

Meanwhile, Illumination's Super Mario Bros. movie will rake in a global haul of 368 million in its first week.

Current 5-Day Studio Estimates for The Super Mario Bros. Movie Domestic - $195.0M International - $173.0M Global $368.0M

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/...eekend-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4485663

A nice little family film with no political posturing, no alterations for current sensibilities, is a roaring, smashing success. Who'd have thought? 🥳

Compare that to the underperformers and outright flops that are the Disney cinematic output of late.

Those are fightin‘ words on these parts 😝

Disstevefan1

For whatever reason folks want to give, I think we can all agree, Illumination's is WINNING! 🏆

It’s ironic, used to be, when I heard the word Illuminations, I used to think of EPCOT.

Not any more.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.

A movie based on an extremely famous IP is doing well?

How Is That Possible Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

Trauma

I said Mario would be the #1 movie months ago and was mocked on these forums.

A certain segment of posters here live far outside of reality. They think Strange World would have brought in more $$$ than Mario if it just had better marketing.

😜

SplashJacket

I think it's more a reflection that one of the biggest IPs and franchises, if not the biggest ever, produced a high-budget, highly advertised-film.

The movie is aggressively mediocre if anything. This isn't make a good movie and get rewarded, this is "use strong IP, reap rewards." This is how we get reboot after reboot after reboot. This is how we get Frozen 2, 3, etc.

I honestly think this property was the largest untapped property by a significant margin. We have to realize, this isn't even just a single franchise, but really a collection of franchises.

If we remember, Frozen rose to notoriety through strong legs, just like Encanto. The movies were good, and thus spread through word of mouth.

A frontloaded release like this, isn't a product of people seeing the film and being "this isn't woke, it's just fun, let me recommend to all my friends," but a reflection of the IPs and the advertising, which was largely just flashy colors.

You can twist this to fit whatever side of the culture wars you want, but its just seeing what you want to see.

The film reminds me of a poorly executed Lego movie.

This isn't The Incredibles, Spirited Away, Inside Out, Ratatouille, Coco, or even a Luca, Puss in Boots 2, or Soul.

The movie is mass-market media at its peak.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think it's more a reflection that one of the biggest IPs and franchises, if not the biggest ever, produced a high-budget, highly advertised-film.

The movie is aggressively mediocre if anything. This isn't make a good movie and get rewarded, this is "use strong IP, reap rewards." This is how we get reboot after reboot after reboot. This is how we get Frozen 2, 3, etc.

I honestly think this property was the largest untapped property by a significant margin. We have to realize, this isn't even just a single franchise, but really a collection of franchises.

If we remember, Frozen rose to notoriety through strong legs, just like Encanto. The movies were good, and thus spread through word of mouth.

A frontloaded release like this, isn't a product of people seeing the film and being "this isn't woke, it's just fun, let me recommend to all my friends," but a reflection of the IPs and the advertising, which was largely just flashy colors.

You can twist this to fit whatever side of the culture wars you want, but its just seeing what you want to see.

This isn't The Incredibles, Spirited Away, Inside Out, Ratatouille, Coco, or even a Luca, Puss in Boots 2, or Soul.

Having seen the movie last night, I’d say you couldn’t be more wrong.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Having seen the movie last night, I’d say you couldn’t be more wrong.
You actually think it’s a top-tier movie? It’s mediocre at best.

The Lego Movie, Spider-Verse, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, The Incredibles, etc. those are great animated films.

I think we as consumers should demand more. The MCU is a perfect example, people are sick of mediocre film after mediocre film. If they want our hard earned cash, they should be shooting for the stars, not just a film made in a boardroom.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie should and could’ve been better. Every Illumination film has 11/10 marketing and 5/10 quality. Passable, nothing more. Though, this movie at least had an exceptional score and animation, but the script? Man, they have to hire better writers.

The land at Universal Studios Hollywood on the other hand? Breathtaking. If it was bigger, it’d arguably be the best theme park land outside of Tokyo DisneySea (and perhaps Cars Land/Diagon Alley).

Like others have said, Nintendo is arguably on par with Star Wars and Marvel in terms of popularity overall, it just has been untapped in terms of a film and theme park presence unlike the others.

For Millennials and Gen-Z especially, there’s probably an even more personal connection for even more people. That’s why it’s a hit; for some reason literally no one saw the potential until Universal hit the floor running a few years ago on the production of this film and the lands, and even then, I don’t think they fully expected the present reaction to them both.

They should immediately green light their plans for a Zelda land at Islands of Adventure and Pokémon at Universal Studios Florida. More films (with high quality) from all their franchises should be made. It’s a no brainer.

I don’t disagree that Pixar and Walt Disney Animation have had some political backlash, but I’d argue their single-largest problem overall is their lack of quality like @Sirwalterraleigh has talked about over the last two years. Outside of Encanto, Lightyear, Strange World, and Raya were all stuck in that not terrible but not good either valley of mediocrity.

I guarantee had Pixar/WDAS made the same exact Super Mario Bros. Movie it would have made equally as much with the same marketing. That’s a shame honestly because we should demand more out of movies.

If the garbage that was Rise of Skywalker made as much money as The Force Awakens, even though TFA was significantly better, it wouldn’t force them to actually try and make a good movie if it made just as much. Because it didn’t, they feel they left close to a billion dollars on the table, which they did because they thought people would mindlessly buy anything out in front of them.

Fortunately, as Disney is learning the hard way, it is not the case, however, Illumination hasn’t had to lay that lesson yet, to the pain of the consumer.

Last edited:

Nubs70

I guess it's records being broken? Because every employer I've ever worked with has had productivity and sales increases coincide 3-6 months after implementing DEI initiatives.
My company just started delving into DEI stuff and had the best year ever.

However, the year started off with 40-60% price increases along with a reduction in headcount.

Not so sure DEI had anything to do with sales and productivity increases.

Tha Realest

All those things you attribute to this films success are things Disney used to do so much better than others. Disney is “mass-market media at its peak.” It has long leveraged its popular IP, to the point where it’s cannibalizing it’s own films for live action.

So what happened? Where did they lose the secret sauce? Was it Lasseter? Is it the perceived cultural stuff? Either way, if they continue on this trajectory you’re going to see a shakeup in the Disney/Pixar animation divisions.

Magenta Panther

I said Mario would be the #1 movie months ago and was mocked on these forums.

A certain segment of posters here live far outside of reality. They think Strange World would have brought in more $$$ than Mario if it just had better marketing.

😜

Yeah, what a crock that always was. Yet they'll desperately cling to it. Tsk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom