Refurbishment coming to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort lobby

JohnD

If the Grand Floridian reaches its 30th anniversary in July then it will be ushering in its 4th decade, not 3rd as the official statement said. 🤦🏽‍♀️ 😂😂
True. WDW is still celebrating its 50th anniversary but has already ushered in its 51st. The 100th anniversary of Disney is January 27, 2023 while it ushers in its 101st.

gsgs

Wasn't the Grand Floridian originally built in 1988 and then renamed in 1997? If that's the case the 30th anniversary would have been in 2018 when they planned the original "30th Anniversary Gala." But this says July 1, 2023 is the 30th anniversary.

Am I misinterpreting something? Or perhaps losing the ability to math?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If the Grand Floridian reaches its 30th anniversary in July then it will be ushering in its 4th decade, not 3rd as the official statement said. 🤦🏽‍♀️ 😂😂

True. WDW is still celebrating its 50th anniversary but has already ushered in its 51st. The 100th anniversary of Disney is January 27, 2023 while it ushers in its 101st.

Wasn't the Grand Floridian originally built in 1988 and then renamed in 1997? If that's the case the 30th anniversary would have been in 2018 when they planned the original "30th Anniversary Gala." But this says July 1, 2023 is the 30th anniversary.

Am I misinterpreting something? Or perhaps losing the ability to math?

Let’s just say whoever wrote that PR piece is lousy at math.

The Grand Floridian opened its doors on June 28,1988.

It will be celebrating its 35th anniversary in 2023, halfway into its 4th decade,

JohnD

Let’s just say whoever wrote that PR piece is lousy at math.

The Grand Floridian opened its doors on June 28,1988.

It will be celebrating its 35th anniversary in 2023, halfway into its 4th decade,
Here's the post in question.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Here's the post in question.
Judge Judy Reaction GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

In addition to the bad math, the new Polynesian rooms do not look like what is pictured in that post (I’ve stayed in both regular and DVC rooms in the last year.)

If you click on the link in that article (“updates have graced the shores of Disney’s Polynesian Resort”) it reveals what the rooms ACTUALLY look like. I’m guessing a mock-up test room photo was used here.

Disney Parks Blog should be ashamed.

James Alucobond

I actually think this will be fine based on other non-Enchanted Rose upgrades around the Grand Floridian, but their comments about the Contemporary in that post are kind of laughable given the state of the Grand Canyon Concourse and the cheapened rooms. Was really hoping they'd have something to say about enhancements on the horizon there too.

UNCgolf

Judge Judy Reaction GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

In addition to the bad math, the new Polynesian rooms do not look like what is pictured in that post (I’ve stayed in both regular and DVC rooms in the last year.)

If you click on the link in that article (“updates have graced the shores of Disney’s Polynesian Resort”) it reveals what the rooms ACTUALLY look like. I’m guessing a mock-up test room photo was used here.

Disney Parks Blog should be ashamed.

I like that Polynesian mock-up room better than the rooms they actually built.

James Alucobond

I like that Polynesian mock-up room better than the rooms they actually built.
Eh, headboards are better in the final thing, and that wallpaper is pretty equally tacky when compared to what we got. The two things that actually look better (bedding and area rug) could very easily be added if they cared.

UNCgolf

Eh, headboards are better in the final thing, and that wallpaper is pretty equally tacky when compared to what we got. The two things that actually look better (bedding and area rug) could very easily be added if they cared.

Sure, they could, but if they were interested in doing so they'd have done it to begin with. I think the bedding/rug/lamp elevates it over what they built.

I agree the headboards are better, though.

fgmnt

I actually think this will be fine based on other non-Enchanted Rose upgrades around the Grand Floridian, but their comments about the Contemporary in that post are kind of laughable given the state of the Grand Canyon Concourse and the cheapened rooms. Was really hoping they'd have something to say about enhancements on the horizon there too.

State of Contemporary has surpassed embarrassing and has become depressing. Grand Canyon Concourse needs help in a bad, bad way.

James Alucobond

Sure, they could, but if they were interested in doing so they'd have done it to begin with. I think the bedding/rug/lamp elevates it over what they built.
Just saying, the bedding always looks better in the mocks because they basically don't do bedding at all anymore, so you kind of have to expect that downgrade every time. Also, that specific lamp might look a bit worse, but I think the lamps throughout the room are actually nicely detailed, and the overall effect is similar. The lack of rug is indeed puzzling, though.

UNCgolf

Just saying, the bedding always looks better in the mocks because they basically don't do bedding at all anymore, so you kind of have to expect that downgrade every time. Also, that specific lamp might look a bit worse, but I think the lamps throughout the room are actually nicely detailed, and the overall effect is similar. The lack of rug is indeed puzzling, though.

My guess is the bedding and rug aren't done for maintenance reasons -- fewer things to keep clean. For what they charge, though, that really shouldn't be an issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom