Upcoming road construction at Hotel Plaza Blvd and SR 535

Rider

Why is this taking so long? This should be done by now. Put down the sweet tea (or beer) and get to work people.
It's not a Disney project. It's an FDOT project and it's completely unfunded. There is currently no information on when or if it will ever happen.

The last update was over a year ago when demolition of the shopping center happened: https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...opping-center-near-disney-set-for-demolition/

FDOT said they need the land as part of the I-4 Ultimate Project to keep up with the growth and traffic as more residents and tourists come into the area.

“At the I-4 and Apopka Vineland Road (State Road 535) interchange, the value engineering process aims to reduce overall construction costs while still providing the same safety benefits and congestion relief as originally planned. The value engineering process will make it easier to find funding for needed improvements,” an FDOT spokesperson wrote in an email.

Officials are now working on a design on what the new interchange will look like as they say construction for the project is not yet funded. Old renderings show the idea is to build direct lanes to Disney cutting through the old Crossroads property.

Bio really jumped the gun on that report.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Article today with some changes on this project -

"The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is reversing course on a project that would have built a new flyover-type ramp into Disney Springs.

The plan was originally a part of improvements coming to Interstate 4 and State Road 535 in the Lake Buena Vista area.

“We need something to be able to get traffic down Hotel Plaza Boulevard,” said Jay Leonard, complex general manager at Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Disney Springs.

Hotel Plaza Boulevard, which is located off of SR-535, and close to I-4, provides access to several hotels, Disney Springs and the rest of the Walt Disney World Resort.

“There’s just so much traffic here,” said Leonard.

Leonard said it gets very busy on Hotel Plaza Boulevard in the evenings.

It’s why FDOT originally planned to build an echelon interchange at SR-535 and Hotel Plaza Boulevard. The interchange would have allowed drivers on northbound SR-535 to make a right turn onto a flyover ramp to avoid SR-535 traffic and access Hotel Plaza Boulevard.

The echelon interchange would have eliminated the traffic that gets backed up on northbound SR-535 for those drivers looking to turn left to get onto Hotel Plaza Boulevard.

FDOT told us about the project for two years, which would have used some of the land the state gained to demolish the one time popular Crossroads area.

“It’s going to be very disappointing because we really had this expectation on the block that we’re going to have traffic coming right into our destination, and just make it a smoother arrival down our boulevard,” said Leonard.

Instead, FDOT will use the Crossroads land to make a loop ramp from SR-535 to westbound I-4. The ramp will eliminate the need for drivers to turn left across traffic to get onto I-4 west.

The work also includes lengthening the I-4 west exit ramp, realigning the I-4 west entrance ramp and building an express lane on I-4 west, called the Tube.

An FDOT spokesperson said the change will still help the area, alleviating backups from SR-535 to I-4 west. He said the plan for the echelon interchange at SR-535 and Hotel Plaza Boulevard was swapped out for the I-4 west ramp to provide “the best return on investment.”

Leonard hopes FDOT will consider improving the entrance to Hotel Plaza Boulevard from SR-535 in the future. He says just getting off I-4 and trying to get to the hotel is frustrating for visitors.

“Sometimes when (guests) get to the front desk they’re physically and mentally exhausted after that drive,” he said.

Construction on I-4 west and SR-535 will begin by the end of the year."

Here's a link to the PDF showing the change to the design -

WDWBryan

Well that’s just stupid. They could still have ramp 4 from westbound i4 end at the intersection with hotel plaza blvd so traffic can go straight and left and then eliminate the light they currently have for the ramp by the overpass creating an exit similar to the east bound side with Vineland road.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Anyone else shocked that a project that would ease traffic into Disney property now makes a 180 and steers people away from it? 😂
Im Not GIF

sWANNISAX

Wow this reeks of political meddling. There's no way the west bound I 4 entrance is causing a much back up and congestion as turning left into hotel plaza boulevard is after getting off the highway. The only scarier exit off I 4 west is the one they already redid at turkey lake road near Whole Foods. Talk about feeling like you might lose your life getting off the highway. Yikes.

Figgy1

Premium Member
If driving in Orlando wasn't already a cluster:mad::mad::mad:
Although this may backfire and make people want to stay in the bubble once there

vikescaper

Since I come from the west 99.999% of the time, this change shouldn’t affect me too much. The times I have come this way were absolutely horrible, though.

jeanericuser001

Really? Care to share those details? Apparently, this is the new #BlameMeg
Considering several of the plans that called for everything from a metro station to a new off-ramp seemed to be all very well-designed with the best possible results in mind. Now we are getting a far cheaper option that will create even more sprawl without directly addressing the present problems. Then you have the fact that DeSantis has a tendency to be particularly petty just like his predecessor who torpedoed a perfect rail system, which we would have by now, just to spite Obama despite the fact that there was actually a good share of republicans that were also onboard. All that just to spite Obama, but while screwing over everyone else in the process.

yensid1967

Article today with some changes on this project -

"The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is reversing course on a project that would have built a new flyover-type ramp into Disney Springs.

The plan was originally a part of improvements coming to Interstate 4 and State Road 535 in the Lake Buena Vista area.

“We need something to be able to get traffic down Hotel Plaza Boulevard,” said Jay Leonard, complex general manager at Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Disney Springs.

Hotel Plaza Boulevard, which is located off of SR-535, and close to I-4, provides access to several hotels, Disney Springs and the rest of the Walt Disney World Resort.

“There’s just so much traffic here,” said Leonard.

Leonard said it gets very busy on Hotel Plaza Boulevard in the evenings.

It’s why FDOT originally planned to build an echelon interchange at SR-535 and Hotel Plaza Boulevard. The interchange would have allowed drivers on northbound SR-535 to make a right turn onto a flyover ramp to avoid SR-535 traffic and access Hotel Plaza Boulevard.

The echelon interchange would have eliminated the traffic that gets backed up on northbound SR-535 for those drivers looking to turn left to get onto Hotel Plaza Boulevard.

FDOT told us about the project for two years, which would have used some of the land the state gained to demolish the one time popular Crossroads area.

“It’s going to be very disappointing because we really had this expectation on the block that we’re going to have traffic coming right into our destination, and just make it a smoother arrival down our boulevard,” said Leonard.

Instead, FDOT will use the Crossroads land to make a loop ramp from SR-535 to westbound I-4. The ramp will eliminate the need for drivers to turn left across traffic to get onto I-4 west.

The work also includes lengthening the I-4 west exit ramp, realigning the I-4 west entrance ramp and building an express lane on I-4 west, called the Tube.

An FDOT spokesperson said the change will still help the area, alleviating backups from SR-535 to I-4 west. He said the plan for the echelon interchange at SR-535 and Hotel Plaza Boulevard was swapped out for the I-4 west ramp to provide “the best return on investment.”

Leonard hopes FDOT will consider improving the entrance to Hotel Plaza Boulevard from SR-535 in the future. He says just getting off I-4 and trying to get to the hotel is frustrating for visitors.

“Sometimes when (guests) get to the front desk they’re physically and mentally exhausted after that drive,” he said.

Construction on I-4 west and SR-535 will begin by the end of the year."

Here's a link to the PDF showing the change to the design -

I think this was too big of a plan and too costly, so they opted to scrap the plan and create a loop from 535 to I4 South.
Why not make a DIRECT EXIT to Hotel Plaza Blvd from I4 South? If you are going North on 535, you get off at the existing exit...if you are travelling from 535 from Celebration area and are going to Disney, they make a ramp up to the flyover with a light OR make a loop to connect to the off ramp of HPB!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom