News George Kalogridis former WDW Pres finally retires

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's the letter from Josh D'Amaro, also announcing a reorganization of DPEP -

We have always been a company built on imagination, creativity and innovation, and on our most recent earnings call, our domestic parks were a standout, powered by strong demand coupled with customized and personalized Guest experience enhancements. As we continue to transform our Disney Parks, Experiences and Products business, our talent is the cornerstone of our success, and often we identify opportunities to rotate our senior leaders. As we launch new businesses around the globe, this must be one of our top priorities.

With our focus on growing our business, I have asked Thomas Mazloum to expand his role as President, New Experiences Portfolio and Disney Signature Experiences, to include the exploration of additional new initiatives beyond the berm, keeping our business development pipeline full. This will allow Thomas to continue to grow our DSE portfolio, while leading important growth initiatives as we launch new businesses.

I would also like to announce that after 50 years of distinguished service, George Kalogridis has made the decision to retire. George started on the Walt Disney World opening team when he was 17, and his career has included leadership roles at Walt Disney World, Disneyland Resort, Disneyland Paris, and most recently Disney Institute and National Geographic Live. Having had a positive influence on thousands of Cast Members during his impressive tenure, he now serves as Global Ambassador for the Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary celebration. I want to personally thank George for his significant contributions and commitment to DPEP and our teams around the world. Over the next several months, he will continue to play an important role representing the company on several nonprofit boards and councils to complete his work strengthening our segment DEI efforts.

With George’s retirement, I have made the decision to shift Disney Institute and National Geographic Live to Disney Signature Experiences. As Thomas shifts his broader focus to the New Experiences Portfolio, and with George’s retirement, I am pleased to announce the following changes:

Stephanie Young will transition into the role of President, Disney Vacation Club, Adventures & Expeditions, and Disney Institute/National Geographic Live, reporting to Thomas. Given Thomas’ increased scope and the high expectations of these businesses, Stephanie’s focus in these areas will be crucial for our segment. Her extensive background as a proven leader with deep operational expertise makes her ideally suited for this role.

With Stephanie’s move, I am excited to announce that Tasia Filippatos will take on the role of President, Consumer Products, Games and Publishing, reporting to me. Tasia joined Disney Parks in 2008, moved to CPGP in 2012, and since 2018 has led the CPGP business across Europe, Africa and Russia. She has done an exceptional job in her role in EMEA, and her rich experience and proven leadership within CPGP make her exceptionally well suited for this role.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While likely inevitable, this is sad. I always got the sense he had a strong understanding of the parks, especially WDW, given his tenure.
He did…

I hope it’s a truly a voluntary retirement (wow…50 years!)…and not “we know better”

Cause they don’t. Josh can pose for selfies with the CPs all he wants…they wrecked their labor in Orlando because none of them realized how fragile it really was.

correcaminos

Does anybody know how many DVC presidents there have been in say, the last 5 years? Seems like there is a new one every 6 months!
I think you are thinking Senior VP role. Bill Diercksen in 2021, Terri Schultz in 2018, and Ken Potrock in 2013 in reverse order. Thomas Mazloum was over Terri and Bill during their time. It sounds like Stephanie Young is taking over his role since it says president and not VP?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you are thinking Senior VP role. Bill Diercksen in 2021, Terri Schultz in 2018, and Ken Potrock in 2013 in reverse order. Thomas Mazloum was over Terri and Bill during their time. It sounds like Stephanie Young is taking over his role since it says president and not VP?
I think you proved their point. If there’s that much rollover…it’s either:

1. A bunch of incompetents
2. A “stash” position that has not much use.

Or the popular “all of the aboves”

When’s the last time any DVC manager has had a reputation of skill or did anything useful afterward? Might take a while to find one…

correcaminos

I think you proved their point. If there’s that much rollover…it’s either:

1. A bunch of incompetents
2. A “stash” position that has not much use.

Or the popular “all of the aboves”

When’s the last time any DVC manager has had a reputation of skill or did anything useful afterward? Might take a while to find one…
Kinda. Terri wasn't there that long, but 5 years for Potrock feels normal. Potrock is president at DLR now.

Lilofan

All survived except DVC Pres Jim Lewis who along for other execs were fired due to the Aulani debacle.

Lilofan

Someone who knows the story better than I, please share the time George used towels to dry the grass-
for Nostalgia's sake!
I've got a better story. When we were standing in front of DHS , Great Movie Ride about 16 years ago, High School Musical was about to perform but the pavement was wet from a recent rainstorm. While cast members were attempting to dry the wet pavement with clean towels , a mother in the audience yelled out " let our kids help you !". In a minute approx 30 children were given clean towels and all were on their hands and knees drying up the area the HSM cast were to perform at. Many in the crowd were cheering and in about 10 minutes the pavement was suitable for the show to go on!

correcaminos

All survived except DVC Pres Jim Lewis who along for other execs were fired due to the Aulani debacle.
Yeah that was a whole other story and not a usual outcome due to the nature of it all. Hard to believe that was over 10 years ago (and Aulani is still not sold out.....)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom