News Meta Quest Star Wars Virtual Reality Experience coming to The NBA Experience building at Disney Springs

Disney Maddux

VR was attempted at Disney Quest long ago with very basic graphics.

The VOID was not Disney. It was a separate company that licensed Disney IP (Star Wars and Ralph). (I liked it!)

This is ILM's foray into getting a foothold into the VR market. Since it's ILM, they have access to Disney IP.

Really, really good VR headsets cost thousands of dollars. Eventually the tech will become cheaper and there will be really, really good VR that will be commonplace. Until that happens, this is all baby steps.

Other than that, what are all the other times Disney attempted VR?
Tomorrowland in another timeline.

cm1988

"The complimentary preview will allow guests to try out the Quest 2 headsets and experience Batuu in 360 degree VR."

Why??? Guests are already experiencing Batuu, the real thing, in DHS. Why don't they show somewhere else, like anywhere Star Wars?
Maybe it would be Batuu without throngs of Earthlings?… and minus the $25 popcorn buckets for sale.

MrPromey

Way too much...

Still praying for a Game Central Station Barcade themed to Wreck it Ralph..Who wouldn't want to have a meal and drink after playing vintage games and pinball at Tapper's grill? Or actually play a real version of Sugar Rush..
The Barcade angle on that is difficult for me to imagine since WIR is a family IP.

Considering the new ride going into MK, they could strike IP utopia and make it Flynn's fand have a Fix-It-Felix Junior and Sugar Rush in there, and of course Tron along with the other stuff connected to the Chili's-like restaurant that would share the same brick wall aesthetic.

I remember they did this kind of setup to promote the second movie, complete with the secret passage from the movie and it seemed like something cool that could have been set up in a permanent way somewhere.

I mean, if they can have a Jock Lindsey's, why not a wink-nod to a Disney version of a sort of Dave and Busters?

When you can't get that DHS reservation and want to do a disappointing version of it similar to a Disneyland Adventures sub game..

Exactly! And for why anyone would want to do this, for the same reason a lot of people go to Disney Springs to begin with: "Complementary" is a lot cheaper than admission to a Disney park.

Cmdr_Crimson

The Barcade angle on that is difficult for me to imagine since WIR is a family IP.
You have seen the WIR films Ralph goes to Tapper's bar in the film..Right?

Yes, there is 2 versions of the game that came out.. One directly sponsored by Budweiser and then the other which is used for kids to play known as Root Beer Tapper..And Oddly enough it's a goof in the film. They show the original game title on the machine but the game is RB Tapper.
31c99988fc22efa91b733012f33b06b4--game-lol-nerd-room.jpg

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Just turn it into a Dave & Busters
Lease the space to Dave and Busters
Disney won't allow it due to redemption based games that are used in D&B's.
I Guess no one remembers that this was announced in 2015..

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney won't allow it due to redemption based games that are used in D&B's.
I Guess no one remembers that this was announced in 2015..
FL law unintentionally made such penny ante redemption games equivalent to gambling. Which started Disney's purge of arcades. Then, later, the legislature made a carve-out in the law to allow redemption games as not being gambling as long as they follow certain restrictions.

DisneyPete19

VR was attempted at Disney Quest long ago with very basic graphics.

The VOID was not Disney. It was a separate company that licensed Disney IP (Star Wars and Ralph). (I liked it!)

This is ILM's foray into getting a foothold into the VR market. Since it's ILM, they have access to Disney IP.

Really, really good VR headsets cost thousands of dollars. Eventually the tech will become cheaper and there will be really, really good VR that will be commonplace. Until that happens, this is all baby steps.

Other than that, what are all the other times Disney attempted VR?
ILM was involved with The Void for that Star Wars VR Experience

DisneyPete19

This is another Iger/Chapek cluster. You cannot make a reservation and the way the thing works is that you go to Disney Springs, head to where the NBA experience is, you tell them that you want a spot and they'll tell you when to come back. Or, most likely, they'll say "Sorry, no more spots for today. Comeback tomorrow and try again"

The hallmarks of new Disney's customer care.

bhg469

I guess I am underwhelmed by the thought of anything less than what the Void was... Without that physical interaction with the environment, its going to be a miss.. The Void was an incredible experience and I am so happy that I got to try it. It really is a shame that it didn't come back. Having a Void experience in such a huge building would be mind blowing.

MrPromey

You have seen the WIR films Ralph goes to Tapper's bar in the film..Right?

Yes, there is 2 versions of the game that came out.. One directly sponsored by Budweiser and then the other which is used for kids to play known as Root Beer Tapper..And Oddly enough it's a goof in the film. They show the original game title on the machine but the game is RB Tapper.
31c99988fc22efa91b733012f33b06b4--game-lol-nerd-room.jpg

I have but tappers is an 8bit dive bar video game - like, it's actually supposed to be a dive bar. The way it's shown in the game isn't exactly faltering to the location or to the characters in it - they're all there drinking their problems away.

But regardless, if this were a WIR thing, I see that attracting a crowd that the people that want to sit around and drink craft beer probably doesn't want around them while enjoying themselves and in the same vein.

They could do it but it seems like more headache than it's worth.

Dave and Busters pull it off but they don't have a cartoon mascot and their branding makes pretty clear it's not directly a "kids" place. That's why i think the Flynn's could work since the tie-in would speak to an older crowd and pretty much fly over the heads of children, completely.

Side note, I remember a table version of the game where the controllers were little Budweiser tap handles...

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom