Port Orleans- Riverside

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
Original Poster
I’ll be staying at POR in Sept. I’ve got plenty of WDW trips under my belt, but never stayed there before . Please offer up any tips you seasoned POR veterans might have. It appears spread out and that it has an indoor bus system similar to CBR.

93boomer

Premium Member
I’ll be staying at POR in Sept. I’ve got plenty of WDW trips under my belt, but never stayed there before . Please offer up any tips you seasoned POR veterans might have. It appears spread out and that it has an indoor bus system similar to CBR.
We really like it there. The food court is really good. If you can request a room near a bus stop and/or food court, it isn’t so overwhelming. The pool is really nice too. I don’t think I can think of anything bad to say about it.
You can take a boat to Disney Springs. It’s a nice ride.
Hope you have a nice trip. We are staying there in Nov.

Raxel7851

If you haven’t already, try to score a preferred room. It’s so much closer to the Food Court and Marina. Some of the buildings can be quite a walk, although not as spread out as CBRor CSR. Make sure you take advantage of the boat ride to Disney Springs! It’s a short walk down to the French Quarter Resort too. You’ll have a great time there!

UNCgolf

It's not as spread out as it looks. Most buildings are pretty close to the central pool/lobby/food court. I think even the most outlying buildings are only about a 10 minute walk and many are 5 minutes or less.

I think POR is the best overall value among Disney resorts; I really like it.

KrzyKtty

What type of room did you reserve? Standard? We stayed in the Princess rooms the last time we went and they were very close to the central building.

It was SOOO beautiful and relaxing. After a day in the park, nothing was better.

Rob562

If you reserved a Standard or Woods view and don't need the fold-down single Murphy bed, I suggest Building 85 aka Magnolia Terrace. It's right next to the East Depot bus stop and is a quick walk across the island where the main pool is to get to the main building.

-Rob

DisneyDelirious

Premium Member
Original Poster
If you reserved a Standard or Woods view and don't need the fold-down single Murphy bed, I suggest Building 85 aka Magnolia Terrace. It's right next to the East Depot bus stop and is a quick walk across the island where the main pool is to get to the main building.

-Rob
Thanks for the heads up. Just the wife and myself so we don’t need the extra bed.

DisneyDelirious

Premium Member
Original Poster
What type of room did you reserve? Standard? We stayed in the Princess rooms the last time we went and they were very close to the central building.

It was SOOO beautiful and relaxing. After a day in the park, nothing was better.
Pool view. Didn’t see any preferred rooms available with the D+ discount. I will keep checking back.

Mireille

Premium Member
I loved this place. I stayed in Alligator Bayou and it feels so quiet and remote, surrounded by the trees and greenery, but it's just a minute or two walk from a bus stop or the central building. The boat ride to Disney Springs is nice and if you're a runner there's so many trails to run on there. I've wanted to go back but I try to stay somewhere different every time I go. I'm going later this year I wanted to stay at a skyliner resort so I'm trying out AoA this time.

Minnesota disney fan

POR was our favorite of all disney resorts. I say, was, because we had to switch to POFQ for health reasons. We both have mobility issues and being that FQ is smaller, we made the switch. However, we will always consider POR our home resort. We love the atmosphere on either side of the river, from the beautiful mansions with their landscaped gardens, to the tropical, secluded feel of the Alligator Bayou. We like the AB section the most for it's tropical vibe. It's quiet pools are beautiful and never crowded. Besides the main pool, each section of the resort has their own private pools, which are great . The Mill restaurant is the best quick service around, IMO. It is big and has many options to choose from. We love to sit by the window looking at the huge water wheel outside.
We haven't eaten in their sit down restaurant for years, but we hear it is now very good.
There are carriage rides that you can reserve which take you either by the mansions, or over to POFQ. They are so relaxing and fun.
My favorite part is the boats to DS. The ride along the river is beautiful. You can also rent bikes or surreys ifyou want.
We have never had a problem with the bus service, but there are others who complain about it.
If it were possible, we would stay at POR only.
You can also take about a 10 minute walk along the river to POFQ. You can use their pool too, and they have a nice but small cafe with good food. I know you will love POR. I think a lot of people with mobility issues go to POFQ because of it's smaller footprint, so ther are more ECV's, IMO. I know if we could walk more, we would go to POR. FQ is nice, but the marde gras theme is not our thing.

Weather_Lady

PORS was where we stayed for our kids' first-ever trip to WDW back around 2012, and it will always hold a special place in my heart. On top of that, it's really beautiful, and the food court is the best hotel counter-service we've ever had (beating out even the deluxe resorts where we've stayed). The hotel was freshly-refurbished at the time of our stay, and has been refurbished again since. If you have a chance, enjoy the lovely cruise down the Sassagoula River to Disney Springs for dinner some evening, and then on your way back, hop off at the adjacent Port Orleans French Quarter to explore it and grab a beignet for dessert, before strolling (or boating) back to PORS.

We didn't stay in a preferred section, but we did ask for -- and receive -- a room assignment to one of the Alligator Bayou buildings just beyond the preferred section (Building 17, if memory serves), so we were still close to everything, including the main bus depot.

I highly recommend the unofficial PORS/POFQ fan website, https://www.portorleans.org/, which has maps, floor plans, room photos, tips and tricks (e.g., if you're in Alligator Bayou, the most direct way to the bus depot from your room may be across a parking lot) and historical commentary about the resort.

Last edited:

muddyrivers

Port Orleans Riverside (formerly Dixie Landings if you didn't know and see that referenced online) is my favorite resort (see avatar and username!) It's one of the few resorts on property that I feel has everything - a sit down restaurant, full food court, live entertainment at night, bicycles for rent, endless paths to walk or run, arcade for the young (or young at heart), and several pools.

There's so much to do that you could probably spend an entire day just at the resort and still not do it all (just remembered, you can also go fishing at the fishing hole they have on site!) I highly recommend taking the Sassagoula River Cruise down to Disney Springs as the ride is so relaxing and gives you a nice scenic view in both directions. I would also see if Yee-Ha Bob Jackson is playing during the nights you are staying and be sure to stop in and see him perform. He never fails to draw the crowds and the later into the night, the funnier it gets (okay the booze may help with that part).

Speaking of booze, be sure to stop by the Muddy Rivers pool bar on Ol' Man Island and enjoy a drink together. If you're not an alcohol drinker like me, maybe you'll want to order a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah (Muddy Rivers' version of a Shirley Temple). I'm not sure if all the bartenders still know it, but if you have Lee as your bartender he sure will -- he's worked at the bar since Dixie Landings opened!

Sbk1234

I LOVE this hotel. It is my favorite of all the Disney hotels I've stayed at. I didn't mind a bit of a walk, which at the end of a long day in the park was a nice "cool down" for me. If I remember correctly, there are several bus stops, but I would just walk to the bus stop by the main lobby. It's a pleasant walk to and from, and you won't have to worry about the bus filling up before you get on. The setting is tranquil and a nice escape from the commotion of the parks.

And you could do a lot worse than to take a horse drawn carriage there along the river.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom