News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mmascari

By J. Edward Moreno and Brooks Barnes -- March 27, 2024, 12:05 p.m. ET​
Before the takeover took effect, however, Disney signed contracts — quietly, but in publicly advertised meetings — to lock in development plans worth some $17 billion over the next decade. An effort by Mr. DeSantis and his allies to void the contracts resulted in Disney suing Mr. DeSantis and the tax district in federal court. The new appointees then sued the company in state court.​
Remember this timing. Disney didn’t sue in federal court until the development agreement was challenged. They were prepared to work under the new structure with some guardrails.

I wouldn't call it a win for Disney but if they get a slightly altered version of the development agreement pushed through, they will take that as it locks down the board in a pretty significant way. If the new agreement isn't to their liking, then the lawsuit gets picked back up. If the board breaks the new agreement after it is signed, a new lawsuit is filled.
Presumably Disney thinks this new plan will give them guardrails they can work under. Many of us were surprised at the first plan being good enough for Disney. That this one is the same pattern isn’t a surprise that it doesn’t feel good enough when reading it, but Disney must believe it is.

There really is no teeth there for the District to do anything different from what they have already set out to do. Disney better have damn good faith in the new developer agreement they already working on.. because this settlement obligates to the District to do virtually nothing.

The new development agreement has to come after the new comprehensive plan and any changes to the zoning regulations. I don’t think we should expect it any time soon because otherwise you largely get the agreement they just killed.
Whatever guardrails come out of the settlement, along with what the status quo was while it was all in dispute, and the new status while it unfolds. Disney must feel they’re good enough to work under. It seems wrong from the outside, but it’s never been clear why Disney was willing to live with any of it. That difference between good and good enough must be a chasm.

lazyboy97o

They get direct input on any changes made to that plan.
Why does the comprehensive plan need to be changed? Input can be ignored. What actually requires Disney to be seriously considered?
The district is giving up one of the big ways it had to mess with Disney in the form of the mitigation credits, conceding that Disney owns them and promising to not impede Disney.
They did not have to cede any creative control to the state in terms of promises on types of content.
The big tool, the first thing the board changed, the thing they were mad they couldn’t use, is the planning commission. They still have that tool and are free to use it as they desire.
They are not giving up their ability to restart the federal appeal (which is rare to see in a settlement).
How does this actually offer any protection?
Even if they won the federal suit, it would be a colossal mess to try and restore everything and meanwhile the state could just keep passing more and more laws until eventually they get one to stick to accomplish the same goal.
If they had been proactive and not willing to roll over they could have sought relief beforehand. Going forward after a win, they also could be proactive and seek relief. An established record would help those future battles.

Advisable Joseph

They are reverting to the 2020 plan which is what RCID already had in place.
Isn't the "2020 plan" the one adopted in 2010 which would last through 2020?

The plans seem to be named after their end years. The plan RCID approved toward the end of its existence was the "2032" plan.

I suppose if the new board is reasonable, necessary amendments could be made.

WoundedDreamer

No one can predict how litigation will turn out. I’m not sure of the most recent numbers, but around 95% of federal civil cases settle before trial. That’s always where these cases were headed. The only reason they went on as long as they did was to wait for DeSantis to be done with this as a campaign issue.
Maybe... But Disney has received nothing from this settlement. One thinks they'd have at least got some concession if they could. This was not the posture they struck earlier in the fight. I'm in favor of this settlement from a pragmatic perspective, but I'm surprised they gave up pretty much every piece of leverage they had.

This was as lopsided a settlement as any I've seen.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe... But Disney has received nothing from this settlement. One thinks they'd have at least got some concession if they could. This was not the posture they struck earlier in the fight. I'm in favor of this settlement from a pragmatic perspective, but I'm surprised they gave up pretty much every piece of leverage they had.

Because clearly there is more going on then what is in the settlement. If it were such a lopsided win as it appears... Wouldn't you expect DeSantis to be grave dancing and telling everyone about his tremendous achievement?

Instead he's toned everything down, and is talking collaboration and NOT taking swipes at Disney when given the opportunity.

All that points to dealing that we don't know the full extent of yet.

WoundedDreamer

Because clearly there is more going on then what is in the settlement. If it were such a lopsided win as it appears... Wouldn't you expect DeSantis to be grave dancing and telling everyone about his tremendous achievement?

Instead he's toned everything down, and is talking collaboration and NOT taking swipes at Disney when given the opportunity.

All that points to dealing that we don't know the full extent of yet.
Quite the opposite, actually. He's being a gracious victor. He won. He said as much, and CFTOD's statement also claims victory. Now he's interested in everyone getting back to business.

That's been his tone since August of last year:

Cliff

Well? CFTOD has at least stated that they would "consult" with Disney on whatever new agreements they make. That's sorta, kind of, a little bit OK for Disney. Yes? I'm trying as hard as I can to spin this in Disney's favor as much as I can...but it's REALLY difficult.

The settlement was lopsided for a reason. Many, many Florida lawyers stated from day one that this day WOULD eventually happen. The only people who were surprised by the way this ended were the players and fans "inside" the Disney sphere. Everybody else on the "outside" said: "Yup,...this was ALL easy to predict"

There is a LOT that happened behind the scenes that we were not aware of or made public. I think that as time went on, Disney said: "Oh no,...the more they uncover, the more embarrassing this all gets for us AND our employees personally" The whole on-site Power Plant scam alone and Duke Energy situation by itself was extremely embarrassing and that was just one of a hundred publicly embarrassing issues.

I would not be surprised if Disney's Board said:

"OK Iger....stop this MESS now before it gets worse. Swallow your political pride, STOP this and bail-out right NOW..."

Disney HAD to surrender and run. The more they tried to fight, the WORSE the public relations disaster was going to get for Disney. Disney & RCID was a Pandora's box that,...if it went to court...was going to be UGLY news for Disney and their "employees" that dealt with RCID. Depositions and testimony and terrible headlines of "corruption"??? We can disagree with the word "corruption" ALL we want...I get it,...but we all KNOW that word would be used every single day of any court case and it would be in every headline.

No no no....the State of Florida had little to lose and Disney had everything to lose.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Well? CFTOD has at least stated that they would "consult" with Disney on whatever new agreements they make. That's sorta, kind of, a little bit OK for Disney. Yes? I'm trying as hard as I can to spin this in Disney's favor as much as I can...but it's REALLY difficult.

The settlement was lopsided for a reason. Many, many Florida lawyers stated from day one that this day WOULD eventually happen. The only people who were surprised by the way this ended were the players and fans "inside" the Disney sphere. Everybody else on the "outside" said: "Yup,...this was ALL easy to predict"

There is a LOT that happened behind the scenes that we were not aware of or made public. I think that as time went on, Disney said: "Oh no,...the more they uncover, the more embarrassing this all gets for us AND our employees personally" The whole on-site Power Plant scam alone and Duke Energy situation by itself was extremely embarrassing and that was just one of a hundred publicly embarrassing issues.

"OK Iger....stop this MESS now before it gets worse. Swallow your political pride, STOP this and bail-out right NOW..."

Disney HAD to surrender and run. The more they tried to fight, the WORSE the public relations disaster was going to get for Disney. Disney & RCID was a Pandora's box that,...if it went to court...was going to be UGLY news for Disney and their "employees" that dealt with RCID. Depositions and testimony and terrible headlines of "corruption"??? We can disagree with the word "corruption" ALL we want...I get it,...but we all KNOW that word would be used every single day of any court case and it would be in every headline.

No no no....the State of Florida had little to lose and Disney had everything to lose.

Wow. Your view of reality is distorted.

Cliff

Disney has the green light to "build baby build" now.

You won't see any significant resistance from CFTOD. Florida want's more tourists and more taxes. "Disney,...do what you gotta do...go COMPETE with Universal now and bring us the jobs and the $$$"

Chi84

Premium Member

What?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom