News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mikejs78

Premium Member
Does any of this really matter at this point anyway, because either way it is heading to appeal.

It does to an extent.. Appeals courts usually don't rule on findings of fact, only on findings of law.. What ends up in the record, what the judge ends up allowing in the way of his rulings will have an impact on the appeal. It may not matter in the long run but a defeat at the circuit court level could make things a little harder for Disney.

JohnD

However, he will have a record at 1st DCA that can be reviewed. And he was appointed by Scott, not DeSantis, to the bench.
Yes. But a Trump appointee at the Federal level. So it's really still up in the air. Conservative leaning? Absolutely. Does that mean ruling in favor of the state and "removing government special privileges to a private corporation" or Disney and "less government coercion over corporations"? Both are conservative viewpoints.

Last edited:

TeriofTerror

It does to an extent.. Appeals courts usually don't rule on findings of fact, only on findings of law.. What ends up in the record, what the judge ends up allowing in the way of his rulings will have an impact on the appeal. It may not matter in the long run but a defeat at the circuit court level could make things a little harder for Disney.
Agreed. And the original decision is upheld in the vast majority of appeals, overwhelmingly so, due in no small part to this. I may have this entirely wrong, but I believe appeals generally are based not on the original facts of the case, but only if the law was appropriately applied to said facts.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

A declined motion to disqualify can be appealed.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Judge Mark E. Walker has disqualified himself from Walt Disney Parks & Resorts vs Desantis case. The case has been reassigned to Judge Allen C. Winsor.

"ORDER ON DISQUALIFICATION

I have considered, without hearing, Defendants’ motion to disqualify me, ECF
No. 33, and Plaintiff’s response, ECF No. 43. For the reasons that follow,
Defendants’ motion is DENIED. Nonetheless, I find disqualification required for a
different reason."

Full document below.

"A third degree relative".

But he fired a parting shot to the state in the way out.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I think it does matter. On appeal it is more difficult to overturn a decision than to uphold one. It seem likely that Disney will lose the case now and have to rely on the appeals court to overturn the decision. Not impossible but a more difficult path.
There's still multiple criteria here. Disney could lose on the 1A grounds now but still win on the contracts clause. I honestly have a hard time seeing how any judge, short of a judge like Aileen Cannon, rules for the state on the contracts clause.

maxairmike

D.R.Horton is the developer of my neighborhood.

Also the developer that carelessly hacked into Twin Oak Preserve several years ago and seemed to not care at all. Was my favorite spot for Bald Eagle watching when I lived closer to that side of the metro so that really ticked me off.

Anyway, hopefully this guy isn’t the crackpot rubber stamp that I’m sure DeSantis expects. Although if he isn’t and Garcia, Peri, and Bridgette stick around that trio might well do him in no matter how well he puts up with stupidity.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the motion to dismiss probably comes into play now. If this judge sticks (2 down already) he could end up accepting the defendant‘s motion to dismiss. I assume there would still be an appeal anyway.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think the Judge matters as much as the law and Constitition. Further, a Conservative strict constructionalist Judge will give the 1st Amendment issue more weight. Disney will win this case and it will be the downfall of DeSantis's Presidential run.
Sadly this is only really true for most judges appointed prior to 2013 when the filibuster was still in place in the Senate. Since then the Federal Judges appointed have been a lot more partisan and extreme. The old notion of Conservative judges is being wiped away over time. Just like Disney was highly likely to win the initial case with Walker in there they are highly likely to lose now. It is what it is. There will still be an appeal but no guarantee how that plays out.

lazyboy97o

There's still multiple criteria here. Disney could lose on the 1A grounds now but still win on the contracts clause. I honestly have a hard time seeing how any judge, short of a judge like Aileen Cannon, rules for the state on the contracts clause.
And cannon was roundly shot down by other Trump appointees. Trump himself has lost a number of cases to people he appointed.

UofMGuy423

This judge seems to subscribe to the jdea that one should not read into legislative intent. https://www.wcjb.com/2023/05/26/florida-lawmakers-shielded-redistricting-legal-fight/
That’s not the same thing as legislative intent that’s clearly available in the public record or during legislative debate. The article mentions lawmakers were being subpoenaed to be deposed to find out their intent as the public record was void of any details on the redistricting legislation.

While the original judge was better, a conservative judge could be just as appalled at DeSantis’ actions towards Disney which lean towards less government retaliation and intrusion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom