Bob Chapek's response to Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdventureHasAName

The law applies to more than just primary school. Again I ask, how does a teacher follow the law and conform to standards that do not exist and the law does not require to exist before going into effect?
The same way he conforms to standards on how to teach (or not teach) long division ... or metaphors versus similes ... he seeks the guidance of its state department of education and local school administration and, where confusion still exists, he follows-up with specific questions clarifying the issue. I assure you local school administrations will be all over this almost immediately as they will not want to open themselves up for litigation. I can also assure you the teachers unions will provide guidance almost immediately (for the same reason).

However, I will again reiterate that, at any age, the answer "ask your parents" will always be appropriate.

lazyboy97o

The same way he conforms to standards on how to teach (or not teach) long division ... or metaphors versus similes ... it seeks the guidance of its state department of education and local school administration and, where confusion still exists, he follows-up with specific questions clarifying the issue. I assure you local school administrations will be all over this almost immediately as they will not want to open themselves up for litigation.
Again, they don’t exist and won’t for a year after the law takes effect. How does one follow nonexistent standards?

AdventureHasAName

Again, they don’t exist and won’t for a year after the law takes effect. How does one follow nonexistent standards?
I could do it fairly easily ... simply don't discuss sexual orientation or gender identity with your students. If a particular student (or group of students) presses you on it, tell them that it's an inappropriate topic for your class and that they should approach their own parents with any questions they might have.

Done and done.

lazyboy97o

I could do it fairly easily ... simply don't discuss sexual orientation or gender identity with your students. If a particular student (or group of students) presses you on it, tell them that it's an inappropriate topic for your class and that they should approach their own parents with any questions they might have.

Done and done.
This is the same answer you would give an 18 year old?

AdventureHasAName

This is the same answer you would give an 18 year old?
If I was his teacher? Sure. Saying "Go ask your parents," is the easiest answer in the world to give. If I was his uncle, I might have a different answer (although I probably would still say, "talk to your parents"), but there's no state law prohibiting talking to your nephew about sexual orientation and gender identity. However, if I knew my brother and sister-in-law definitely didn't want me to talk to their kids about these topics (or that they disagreed with my beliefs on these topics), I absolutely would not under any circumstances go against their wishes. But I'm not compelled to indoctrinate anyone (including teenagers) on sex so it's not really a problem for me.

AdventureHasAName

Who is compelled to indoctrinate anyone on sex?
Unfortunately, there is a growing legion on the left who feel they must indoctrinate other peoples' kids on sexual orientation and gender identity. This thread is now 100 pages and primarily focused on school teachers and Disney employees (Reimagine Tomorrow) who feel it is their duty. Try and keep up.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, now that Chapek has waded into this mess on behalf of the entire company, I can't just limit it to the Reimagine Tomorrow department. It's now the whole company.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Unfortunately, there is a growing legion on the left who feel they must indoctrinate kids on sexual orientation and gender identity. This thread is now 100 pages and primarily focused on school teachers and Disney employees (Reimagine Tomorrow) who feel it is their duty. Try and keep up.
So you know teachers in Florida are compelled to indoctrinate regarding sex even though you refuse to review the preexisting statutes regarding sexual education?

AdventureHasAName

Certainly? And yet nobody has mentioned these violations of state law? Reported them to the districts or state Department of Education?

Here's an example in Florida ...

Florida teacher under investigation for reading gay bunny book to kids

Here's the latest example that's been in the news here in Texas ...

In defiance of Attorney General Ken Paxton, Austin ISD’s Pride Week marches on

If this stuff wasn't happening, there wouldn't be legislators proposing bills to prohibit it.

fgmnt

fgmnt

Doc McStuffins featured lesbian moms in 2017 and nobody cared outside of reactionary right-wing blogs. If this producer had said that they wanted to feature more gay characters in their stories, we wouldn't be talking about this in the first place.

But she didn't. She said "queer stories," which is a trojan horse for radical gender ideology. This isn't about sexual orientation, it's about gender, and they've lumped it under the umbrella of "queer" as a dog whistle to get mainstream LGBT people and their allies to rally around the flag. People who talk about "queer stories" are the people trying to push ideas like "chestfeeding," "birthing person," "people who menstruate," and "Latinx." We've move way beyond "love is love" and into "men can get pregnant" territory.
you’re intentionally dodging the question. would you let children watch 101 dalmatians or snow white? two movies that depict casual romance, rated G, of a heterosexual couple?

DisneyHead123

Have you decided whether or not classic Disney animated movies that present heterosexual couples as part of the story are appropriate for children yet?
I do think that it would be problematic if Disney creators said they had a “heterosexual agenda” and wanted to create “straight content”. The specific content isn’t the problem in that case example, the infusion of ideology is. It’s the same reason laws about advertising to children - even if you’re advertising apples and milk and toothbrushes and generally wholesome things - are stricter.

I think this Disney video is pretty unhelpful to the schools because it reinforces the idea of a hidden agenda. I think the most compelling argument against the Parental Rights bill is that it is random and unnecessary. Maybe akin to noticing that a few Muslims had moved to your town and then rushing to enact an anti Sharia Law bill - in that case it’s easy for people to see why such a proposal would be insulting. Saying “Why do you care if you’re not planning on enacting Sharia Law?!” doesn’t make it less insulting. You’re clearly implying something very publicly about people by making such a law. But here Disney has actually bought into that narrative by claiming there is an agenda, at least in Disney. I kinda doubt that’s even true, but they are playing into the other side’s hands there by acting like it is.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

you’re intentionally dodging the question. would you let children watch 101 dalmatians or snow white? two movies that depict casual romance, rated G, of a heterosexual couple?
I let my children (7, 4, 2) watch High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, which is rated PG and features prominent same-sex relationships among the main cast.

I have no objection to same-sex relationships in content that my kids watch. I do, however, object to radical gender ideology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom