The Muppets Mayhem (Disney+ Series)

erasure fan1

Variety is reporting The Muppets Mayhem has been cancelled after one season at Disney+.

That's typical Disney. You finally have something muppets that was almost Unanimously liked and loved by most muppet fans. Something you can build the brand back up with. I'm sure it wasn't very expensive of a show, so what does it really hurt? Yea I'm sure it didn't pull in the numbers. Why? Because almost everything Disney has done with the muppets is bad. So of course, why would anyone want to watch.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's typical Disney. You finally have something muppets that was almost Unanimously liked and loved by most muppet fans. Something you can build the brand back up with. I'm sure it wasn't very expensive of a show, so what does it really hurt? Yea I'm sure it didn't pull in the numbers. Why? Because almost everything Disney has done with the muppets is bad. So of course, why would anyone want to watch.
This is a classic network TV play, cancel a good show before it finds an audience. But its a business if it doesn't find an audience right away there isn't any revenue to maintain a show. Many of my favorite shows got cancelled because they couldn't find an audience.

erasure fan1

This is a classic network TV play, cancel a good show before it finds an audience. But its a business if it doesn't find an audience right away there isn't any revenue to maintain a show. Many of my favorite shows got cancelled because they couldn't find an audience.
The problem with that mentality, is this isn't classic network tv. You can't have a show with no ratings because what do you go to the advertisers with? This isn't that. It's a very low budget production, that was liked by fans, and gave the service positive press. Something the platform desperately needs. This wasn't Willow or She hulk, something most didn't like and cost a small fortune to make. It was a great start to revitalize a brand they've royaly pooched.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The problem with that mentality, is this isn't classic network tv. You can't have a show with no ratings because what do you go to the advertisers with? This isn't that. It's a very low budget production, that was liked by fans, and gave the service positive press. Something the platform desperately needs. This wasn't Willow or She hulk, something most didn't like and cost a small fortune to make. It was a great start to revitalize a brand they've royaly pooched.
Except it never hit the top 10 in the Nielsen charts for streaming, like ever as I recall. So it wasn't all that popular among general viewers on D+ despite being liked by fans.

So this is exactly like network TV. No viewers equals no advertisers equals cancelled show. It happens and it sucks.....

Maybe it can be shopped around to another streamer.

erasure fan1

Except it never hit the top 10 in the Nielsen charts for streaming, like ever as I recall. So it wasn't all that popular among general viewers on D+ despite being liked by fans.
Oh I know, that's why I said I'm sure it didn't pull the numbers. But that's because Disney has struggled with the IP and knowing what to do with it. Years of bad will have that effect. I guess the bottom is, Disney has been losing hundreds of millions of dollars on films. Spending obscene amounts of money on lots of D+ shows with little fanfare. This equated to basically a pet project, that turned out better than the vast majority of D+ series. So really what's the harm in keeping it going for a couple seasons. It's not like they paid anything for marketing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh I know, that's why I said I'm sure it didn't pull the numbers. But that's because Disney has struggled with the IP and knowing what to do with it. Years of bad will have that effect. I guess the bottom is, Disney has been losing hundreds of millions of dollars on films. Spending obscene amounts of money on lots of D+ shows with little fanfare. This equated to basically a pet project, that turned out better than the vast majority of D+ series. So really what's the harm in keeping it going for a couple seasons. It's not like they paid anything for marketing.
Dunno, maybe it just got swept up with other underperformers during cost cutting.

Do you know what the per episode cost was? Maybe it was more expensive than we realize.

Like I said maybe it can be shopped around to other streamers.

erasure fan1

Do you know what the per episode cost was? Maybe it was more expensive than we realize.
I was looking a while ago but couldn't find anything solid. It could very well be. We are talking about Disney here. For all we know it cost 10mil an episode. Lol

It's just all a bit odd in my opinion. Oh well, it's just one more reason for me to keep churning. One of the big selling points of a streaming service is things that wouldn't be viable in a linear setting, can find a home. As you don't need huge numbers on everything. That's why with miss marvel, while I couldn't get into it, I didn't care they made it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I was looking a while ago but couldn't find anything solid. It could very well be. We are talking about Disney here. For all we know it cost 10mil an episode. Lol

It's just all a bit odd in my opinion. Oh well, it's just one more reason for me to keep churning. One of the big selling points of a streaming service is things that wouldn't be viable in a linear setting, can find a home. As you don't need huge numbers on everything. That's why with miss marvel, while I couldn't get into it, I didn't care they made it.
I think we all learned over the last few years that streaming is being built more like linear than anyone realized.

erasure fan1

It's not the end of the Muppets...

I hope not. I suggest anyone who is a fan of the muppets, find my post in this thread where I posted an interview with Jeff Yorkes on rebel force radio. Find where they talk to Jeff and see how passionate they were and respectful of the franchise they were. I trust Adam and Jeff 100% with any muppet project.

If they're smart, they will just transition the end of mayhem, into the next project. I'm guessing Disney really wanted something with the fab 4. Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie and Gonzo. So hopefully that's the play.

Cmdr_Crimson

Even if their wasn't a show based around it at least it could be saved as a take over of RnRC being an In house IP and this not having to pay royalties to Aerosmith all because they sang a song for a Box office flop (Armageddon) they were the reason they got them for the ride..I say #Bringonthemayhem.

erasure fan1

Even if their wasn't a show based around it at least it could be saved as a take over of RnRC being an In house IP and this not having to pay royalties to Aerosmith all because they sang a song for a Box office flop (Armageddon) they were the reason they got them for the ride..I say #Bringonthemayhem.
It was pitched to Disney when they pitched the show.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I first watched the show with my husband. A few weeks later I convinced my dad to give it a shot when I visited for a long weekend about a month after the shows release. We watched all 10 episodes of Muppets Mayhem in two evenings and loved every episode. It made me feel nostalgic about watching The Muppet Show as a family when I was younger. (Dad, being a drummer himself, has always loved Animal but my husband and I think he's more like Dr. Teeth.) When we finished the series dad said, "Is that it?" Initially disappointed, he perked up a bit at the prospect of a second season. Hopefully whatever comes next will be even better than MM or even (dare we dream?) a callback to the original Muppet Show. 🤞🤞

erasure fan1

Disappointed it wasn’t renewed as it seemed like a good quality content add with relatively small cost (unless the cameos were too expensive).
I couldn't agree more. Even with the cameos, it still couldn't have cost that much. And if they did cost too much, uhhhhh here's an idea, don't have as many. The show was well received by fans and critics. It was a great start and something to really build on, so naturally, cancel it!

doctornick

The only good thing I will say about the non renewal is that the season was effectively self contained and felt complete. A new season would have had to come up with a new premise and there’s a decent chance it would have either been subpar or felt repetitive. So maybe going out on top is good.

Hopefully they will keep the series on the service and not purge it like they have for other quality offerings (I’m still annoyed about losing Earth to Ned, Mysterious Benedict Society, etc)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom