Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Saskdw

So, the question is, which of the following is true (if any):
1) It was always going to be US & Canada only, but poor communication/writing from Disney made it seem as though it would be US only.
2) They have managed to create a fix in the last 77 hours since the first announcement, and this is the start of the international roll out.
3) They have managed to create a fix in the last 77 hours since the first announcement, but feel that "US & Canada is good enough..."
Option 1

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If it makes you feel better, a couple years ago there was a software update that temporarily rendered the soda fountains unable to read the chips, so the machines would fill anything you put under the dispenser. Rumor has it that the person writing this very post witnessed a child in their travel party try to order a soda at a resort pool bar only to be given a free water cup instead and told by the CM that since the chip readers were disabled and the CM can't see the drink dispenser from behind the bar that this CM would have no way to verify what drink was put in the cup. The situation has since been rectified, bit there was indeed a time when the chips in the cups were useless.
For anyone questioning this, I would totally expect someone with the alias Chip Chipperson to know all about the chips

Disstevefan1

If it makes you feel better, a couple years ago there was a software update that temporarily rendered the soda fountains unable to read the chips, so the machines would fill anything you put under the dispenser. Rumor has it that the person writing this very post witnessed a child in their travel party try to order a soda at a resort pool bar only to be given a free water cup instead and told by the CM that since the chip readers were disabled and the CM can't see the drink dispenser from behind the bar that this CM would have no way to verify what drink was put in the cup. The situation has since been rectified, bit there was indeed a time when the chips in the cups were useless.
Not sure if this post changes my feelings in any way as I don't care either way, but if I want a soda, I want a soda and am willing to pay for it.

nickys

Premium Member
I'm curious how same day park hopping is going to work with the tiers and everything.

I'm planning to have a park hoping day later this year with an AK start and an EPCOT afternoon.

Assuming a 9am AK opening, ideally I would book 9:30am-10:30am Navi, 10:30am-11:30amSafari, and a 2pm-3pmFrozen... however the current system will not allow that on prebook.

I am wondering if day of LLs can be modified for instance if I book a 9:30am-10:30am Navi, 10:30am-11:30am Safari, and a 2-3 its tough to be a bug, can I modify the ITTBAB once the park opens to frozen? Or am I forced to use 3 LLs in my starting park if I want to keep all 3 paths open...

Also does a LL booking window open up if I let a pass "expire" without using it? Can LLs overlap like they can on G+ or will no overlap be allowed like FP+?
If so I could book a 9am-10am ITTBAB and at 10:01am maybe I can book a tier 1 anywhere else?
We won’t know for sure until the 24th, when it’s tested out.

We do know there can be a 15 minute overlap.

Also if one expires you won’t be able to rebook that later.

With FP+ in your scenario, you could have prebooked just 2 rides, and immediately you tapped into the first you could book another for any park.

A lot of these nuances will depend on whether the old FP+ code is used as a starting point. Because no way will all theses scenarios be specifically thought out, coded and tested.

JAB

I'm curious how same day park hopping is going to work with the tiers and everything.

I'm planning to have a park hoping day later this year with an AK start and an EPCOT afternoon.

Assuming a 9am AK opening, ideally I would book 9:30am-10:30am Navi, 10:30am-11:30amSafari, and a 2pm-3pmFrozen... however the current system will not allow that on prebook.
All 3 of your pre-booked LL must be at one park. However, once you use your first pre-booked LL, as long as you have park hopper tickets, you can book another at any park with no tier restrictions.

I am wondering if day of LLs can be modified for instance if I book a 9:30am-10:30am Navi, 10:30am-11:30am Safari, and a 2-3 its tough to be a bug, can I modify the ITTBAB once the park opens to frozen? Or am I forced to use 3 LLs in my starting park if I want to keep all 3 paths open...
It's possible, since there are no tier restrictions when getting LL day-of, but there are still questions on when that takes effect. 7 am? After you use your first pre-booked? We don't really know yet.

Also does a LL booking window open up if I let a pass "expire" without using it? Can LLs overlap like they can on G+ or will no overlap be allowed like FP+?
If so I could book a 9am-10am ITTBAB and at 10:01am maybe I can book a tier 1 anywhere else?
FP and G+ LL both expired at the end of the window as if you'd used it, so it seems like a safe bet that LL-MP will work the same way.

No official word on overlapping, but reliable sources are reporting a 15 minute overlap will be allowed.

rk3668

All the official info said from 7am on the first day of your eligibility.
Thanks. The thing that made me uncertain is that if you arrive on the 24th, the first day of eligibility should be the 17th. We are there the 20th to the 27th-- I will probably stay up late the 23rd anyway.

Purduevian

We won’t know for sure until the 24th, when it’s tested out.

We do know there can be a 15 minute overlap.

Also if one expires you won’t be able to rebook that later.

With FP+ in your scenario, you could have prebooked just 2 rides, and immediately you tapped into the first you could book another for any park.

A lot of these nuances will depend on whether the old FP+ code is used as a starting point. Because no way will all theses scenarios be specifically thought out, coded and tested.

All 3 of your pre-booked LL must be at one park. However, once you use your first pre-booked LL, as long as you have park hopper tickets, you can book another at any park with no tier restrictions.

It's possible, since there are no tier restrictions when getting LL day-of, but there are still questions on when that takes effect. 7 am? After you use your first pre-booked? We don't really know yet.

FP and G+ LL both expired at the end of the window as if you'd used it, so it seems like a safe bet that LL-MP will work the same way.

No official word on overlapping, but reliable sources are reporting a 15 minute overlap will be allowed.
Thanks for the 15 mins. I think at this point I will probably book something like ITTBAB at opening (with no intention of using it). Navi like 15-30 mins after opening and Safari like 20 mins after Navi
Yes, but if you don’t pre-book any, or only pre-book 1 or 2, you may be able to book at multiple parks at 7am.

All the permutations will be tested out fairly quickly on & after the 24th.
I think the new system is going to force you to prebook all 3 before you can buy... you may be able to cancel though.

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks for the 15 mins. I think at this point I will probably book something like ITTBAB at opening (with no intention of using it). Navi like 15-30 mins after opening and Safari like 20 mins after Navi

I think the new system is going to force you to prebook all 3 before you can buy... you may be able to cancel though.
You’ll be able to do something like 9, 9:45 and 10:30 . So each be can overlap by 15 minutes.

Wording says you can buy “up to 3”. - just like FP+
I doubt they’ll force you to pick 3.

JAB

Yes, but if you don’t pre-book any, or only pre-book 1 or 2, you may be able to book at multiple parks at 7am.
IIRC, in the days of FP+ pre-booking fewer than 3 was definitely a valid strategy, since you had to use everything you pre-booked. With LL-MP only requiring you to use 1 and potentially allowing you to modify day-of, I will be interested to see if there is any difference strategy-wise between pre-booking fewer than 3 and pre-booking 3 regardless and just modifying day-of.

All the permutations will be tested out fairly quickly on & after the 24th.
That goes to my current dilemma. I have a compulsion to start adjusting my plans for LL-MP, but there's too many unknown variables, so I can't properly plan yet and my brain is stuck in stressed limbo. I mean, I've only got less than a year to optimize my park days and strategy. 😏

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think this is true......I think sales will slump because non resort guests at 3 days out will have little to no available rides to select from and they will not buy it where if it was Genie+ and it was day of they would buy it
If sales slump compared to Genie+ then there should be plenty of capacity available a lot of days of the year 3 days out. Generally speaking I only heard people complain about getting less than 3 reservations using Genie+ on very high crowd days. Whether the specific rides and times people want are available could ultimately impact purchase decisions too but my gut feeling is this new system will sell better than Genie+.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks for the clarification.

The RFID chipped drink cup money grab IS JUSTIFIED :greedy:
In Disney‘s defense the RFID chip cups were not the money grab, they just forced people to actually pay for the soda they were taking. Charging over $4 for a fountain drink in the first place is the real money grab 🤑🤑🤑🤑

doctornick

If sales slump compared to Genie+ then there should be plenty of capacity available a lot of days of the year 3 days out. Generally speaking I only heard people complain about getting less than 3 reservations using Genie+ on very high crowd days. Whether the specific rides and times people want are available could ultimately impact purchase decisions too but my gut feeling is this new system will sell better than Genie+.

And I think getting 3 as a default will lead to the vast majority of guests being satisfied with the purchase (even if they don't book any more). Right at 3 is IMHO where ordinary guests feel like they get "value" from such a system whereas if they only get one or two rides, they are more likely to feel slighted and complain to Guest Services.

Jrb1979

And I think getting 3 as a default will lead to the vast majority of guests being satisfied with the purchase (even if they don't book any more). Right at 3 is IMHO where ordinary guests feel like they get "value" from such a system whereas if they only get one or two rides, they are more likely to feel slighted and complain to Guest Services.
It plays the average guest who visits Disney. They aren't ride warriors and majority are happy with a handful of rides a day.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree. Buying in at 7am and not knowing if I’d even get 3 reservations I could use or wanted is a lot less appealing than 3 guaranteed that I know up front and most importantly that I can pick the time. The down side is availability “day of“ for reservations 4 and 5 and so on will be more limited now, but getting a less desirable ride or time as my 4th reservation of the day is not going to upset as many people.

I agree on the perception of 3 rides feeling like “value” to a lot of people. Depending on crowd levels a large number of rides and attractions don’t need fast pass or lightning lanes at all. A guest using 3 pre booked lightning lanes for more popular rides is not likely just riding those 3 rides and then going home. They are likely watching parades or night shows, seeing minor shows or other entertainment with no real wait, riding less popular rides with 20 min or less waits, shopping, eating and meeting characters. I think more frequent visitors tend to skip some of that other stuff and focus on ride count but the average guest probably does not.

Jrb1979

I agree. Buying in at 7am and not knowing if I’d even get 3 reservations I could use or wanted is a lot less appealing than 3 guaranteed that I know up front and most importantly that I can pick the time. The down side is availability “day of“ for reservations 4 and 5 and so on will be more limited now, but getting a less desirable ride or time as my 4th reservation of the day is not going to upset as many people.

I agree on the perception of 3 rides feeling like “value” to a lot of people. Depending on crowd levels a large number of rides and attractions don’t need fast pass or lightning lanes at all. A guest using 3 pre booked lightning lanes for more popular rides is not likely just riding those 3 rides and then going home. They are likely watching parades or night shows, seeing minor shows or other entertainment with no real wait, riding less popular rides with 20 min or less waits, shopping, eating and meeting characters. I think more frequent visitors tend to skip some of that other stuff and focus on ride count but the average guest probably does not.
Agreed. I think it's more than just frequent visitors, it's the majority of guests. Look at how many guests go to parks do their 3 and go back to the resorts. Or those that stroll into the parks at the crack of 4pm and ride a few things a leave.

For my family it's not worth it as we go to the parks to ride attractions. We treat Disney the same as Dollywood or Cedar Point. If I'm paying that much for a ticket we want our moneys worth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom