Disney announces the return of Disney Cruise Line voyages from Florida in August

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So is testing of vaccinated people with no testing, but then in reading on I saw that vaccinated people can be exempt from testing by voluntarily disclosing their vaccine status. So this is really just a tax on the unvaccinated.
Yep. This is exactly what the entire state of Hawaii is doing. They don't want to have a "vaccine mandate" per se, so they call it a "testing mandate" instead, and oh by the way if you're vaccinated, you're exempt from the testing mandate.

Tony the Tigger

What type of stateroom ?
Not that important (I think?) I guess it will depend on the price.

Though it’s very likely we can do it 100% on Chase Disney points by then. 😃 That’ll be a fun TR!
Exciting news!! Nice to see some of the onboard experiences are returning in a modified format.

My fiance (and soon to be husband) are thinking of doing the same thing next year for the honeymoon. He's never been on a cruise...ever 😱 So naturally, I want his first cruise experience to be on DCL 😂
We have never been, either. This will be our “starter cruise.”

Giss Neric

These guidelines are specific to cruise going out from Florida. The governor there has made a law prohibiting requiring guests be vaccinated. Their hands are tied.

I would prefer everyone be vaccinated and show proof of it so that no need for masks in the ship. Cruising is a vacation and all these safety protocols make it sound like not. I would understand if it was in a Disney park cause it's huge. In a cruise, you have limited places to go to.

jaklgreen

So for a family of 4, with no traveler under 12 years old, who choose to go on a Disney cruise unvaccinated, they will be paying

$860 in testing fees plus travel insurance which is 8% of the cost of the trip ($350+).

Versus a free shot.

Where are you getting those prices for trip insurance? I always use Allianz Global and never pay that much. Plus kids are free with their parent's plan. For our recent trip to Hawaii, I paid(for 2 adults) $193. That included $10,000 emergency medical and $50,000 emergency transport, plus the usual trip delay, lost baggage, etc. I would never pay the prices that Disney gives for trip insurance. I always buy travel insurance when I cruise anyway because that emergency transport and medical can bankrupt you and many private insurances don't cover those.

jaklgreen

Obviously.

I think this is a stupid policy, but Disney is free to set whatever policies they want, including ones I think are stupid. Anyone who agrees to the terms of passage should follow those policies.
I feel like if they were able to require all guests to be vaccinated, that they would not have had the mask mandate. I still think that they should have a few adults only, fully vaccinated cruises. I can't imagine they would have trouble filling those.

Tony the Tigger

What type of stateroom ?
Did a little poking around last night. For a 3 night Caribbean in September 2022, it's $1685 for inside, $1727 oceanview, $1817 Verandah, and $3287 concierge. It leaves not far from where we live, so there's no airfare or hotel to worry about.

It's a more or less a no-brainer to go from inside to verandah. The question is if concierge is worth almost double. Again, this will be 100% on points - and for a special event, so I'm happy to splurge if it makes sense. Even with the concierge room, we'll have plenty of points for the nice dinner, the drinks, the excursions or whatever.

It's also very little extra for a 4 night. That would typically be an obvious move, but two factors come into play: 1. Our dog is getting old. The more days we leave her, the more stressed (and likely ill) she will get. Three days is already stretching it, IMO. Hopefully that will not be a moot point by then. :cry: 2. DH is concerned about seasickness. He has gotten it before, including on a small boat in the Keys where I was fine. I understand you don't feel the movement very much on these big cruise ships, but you never know. If he's a mess, why extend another day. (This may also be a reason to reconsider the inside room.) This is our starter cruise, we can always do a massive one a year or two later if this one goes well.

But my main question right now - is concierge worth it?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Did a little poking around last night. For a 3 night Caribbean in September 2022, it's $1685 for inside, $1727 oceanview, $1817 Verandah, and $3287 concierge. It leaves not far from where we live, so there's no airfare or hotel to worry about.

It's a more or less a no-brainer to go from inside to verandah. The question is if concierge is worth almost double. Again, this will be 100% on points - and for a special event, so I'm happy to splurge if it makes sense. Even with the concierge room, we'll have plenty of points for the nice dinner, the drinks, the excursions or whatever.

It's also very little extra for a 4 night. That would typically be an obvious move, but two factors come into play: 1. Our dog is getting old. The more days we leave her, the more stressed (and likely ill) she will get. Three days is already stretching it, IMO. Hopefully that will not be a moot point by then. :cry: 2. DH is concerned about seasickness. He has gotten it before, including on a small boat in the Keys where I was fine. I understand you don't feel the movement very much on these big cruise ships, but you never know. If he's a mess, why extend another day. (This may also be a reason to reconsider the inside room.) This is our starter cruise, we can always do a massive one a year or two later if this one goes well.

for us no. but ymmv. You probably already know but i would try for a cabin midship.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
No to us, either.
DH is concerned about seasickness.
I was concerned about that too, with my 78yo dad. Turned out, he felt fine for the duration of our sailing. Pack some Dramamine for your DH, just in case.

Yey! for your first Disney Cruise Line voyage, I'm sure you'll have a blast, I look forward to that TR! ;)

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Today, Disney Cruise Line quietly added a handful of Disney Magic voyages sailing from Miami, Florida beginning October 21, 2021. The new sailings fill-in the void previously left with the cancellation of cruises from New York and signifies, the Disney Magic will likely end her Summer season of UK staycations when she return to London on October 4th.

It is suspected, the Disney Magic will sail without passengers back to the United States where she will eventually resume operations from PortMiami. Below are the sailings added and guess what, they are already bookable.

• Thursday October 21, 2021 🎃 3-Night Bahamian Cruise from Miami
  • Sunday October 24, 2021 🎃 4-Night Bahamian Cruise from Miami
  • Thursday October 28, 2021 🎃 3-Night Bahamian Cruise from Miami
  • Sunday October 31, 2021 🎃 4-Night Bahamian Cruise from Miami
  • Thursday November 4, 2021 4-Night Bahamian Cruise from Miami
Previously, the next US sailing for the Disney Magic was scheduled for November 8, 2021."

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Feel sorry for those who got denied but if hundreds of families were able to follow and board the ship then why could a dozen not?

One of the families even had PCR tests for all but 1. They were obviously aware of this requirement but still thought they could chance it with a different test. I find it strange they claim ignorance of the testing procedures yet , as you say , hundreds of other families were fully aware.

JaxFLBear

I’m grateful my family has forgiven me and I’m hoping that the refund process DCL has promised will be fulfilled without further incident.
They won't be dealing with DCL for their refund. They have to work with DVC Member Services because they booked the cruise using DVC points.

Sans Souci

One of the families even had PCR tests for all but 1. They were obviously aware of this requirement but still thought they could chance it with a different test. I find it strange they claim ignorance of the testing procedures yet , as you say , hundreds of other families were fully aware.

There's an update. It looks like 200 people out of 1600 people couldn't board. They've gotten a full refund and associated costs refunded to them .Plus, they're getting a free cruise and DCL paid for their hotel and transportation to the hotel when they couldn't board.

In the comments, someone claims only a total of 121 pax couldn't board.

It pays not to pay attention. :hilarious:

jaklgreen

In situations like this, where the majority of people did the right thing and had no issues, it is kind of hard to feel bad for those that did not take the time to read through everything. Especially in the times that we are now. I feel bad for the kids, not so much for the adults. I can understand if the majority of passengers did not understand the instructions, but with it being just these few families, the blame is on them. If you are confused, wouldn't it be normal to call DCL for clarification? I am thinking that they just did not want to put the time and effort into the prep work that goes into vacations, which includes reading what they send and following the instructions, and this time it bit them in the behind.

Sans Souci

In situations like this, where the majority of people did the right thing and had no issues, it is kind of hard to feel bad for those that did not take the time to read through everything. Especially in the times that we are now. I feel bad for the kids, not so much for the adults. I can understand if the majority of passengers did not understand the instructions, but with it being just these few families, the blame is on them. If you are confused, wouldn't it be normal to call DCL for clarification? I am thinking that they just did not want to put the time and effort into the prep work that goes into vacations, which includes reading what they send and following the instructions, and this time it bit them in the behind.

I'd be kind of angry if I was on this cruise and I found out these people got a free cruise because they couldn't be bothered to look up the testing protocol.

jaklgreen

I'd be kind of angry if I was on this cruise and I found out these people got a free cruise because they couldn't be bothered to look up the testing protocol.

Same. I hate how companies reward people for bad behavior and ignorance. Disney is really bad at trying to keep horrible people happy. They need to start rewarding people who do the right thing. Maybe say to all of those people "hey, congratulations on actually reading the information and following instructions, here is a free cruise.". 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom