Disney Parks office-based employees begin returning to work locations

lazyboy97o

To bring is back to Disney. Iger and the company are not making this decision simply because they want to be jerks. If the company was benefitting from the current structure, they would continue it and/or make it better. But an adjustment like this obviously means it just isn't working as is.
If Disney only ever made the best, most logical decisions we would not be talking about Iger.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If Disney only ever made the best, most logical decisions we would not be talking about Iger.
He’s the root of the problem

Michael called him an empty suit (damning considering his mental state at that time)

I’ve never had a prophecy become so true that I had hoped was completely false.

This return to work thing is so Damning…

He’s getting tied up in the corporate overlords trying to “reassert” control after Covid broke their dominance. Took some really bad advice and opened his mouth here…
And HE killed creativity…badly over 15 years. Everyone saw through the chapek excuse more quickly than I thought possible? Even Wall Street.

Well, that’s a quick way for Iger to blow all of his employee goodwill.

Many employees know—from years of firsthand experience at this point—that they are more productive remotely. They also know that it majorly improves their quality of life.

It’s insulting to be forced to work in an old-fashioned, less-productive, less-enjoyable way because your 70 year-old CEO has a hunch about creativity and doesn’t trust you.

Andrew25

Hoping for more context, but several office-based roles are not required, nor are they more productive, in person. Jobs like finance, HR, and computer/desk-centric jobs are the same no matter where you are.

Creative jobs, which he seems to be emphasizing, make absolute sense to work in an environment that allows for collaboration.

Also, the idea that a job can be "outsourced" if you work remote is absolute nonsense.

You are assuming this is the case for all.

You are assuming this is how the decision was reached.

I said that "many" employees—not all—are more productive remotely. I don't think a one-size fits all approach is correct in either direction. If you need to sit in an office to focus, be my guest.

If there's data backing up this decision, the impetus is on Iger to share that data. He certainly doesn't cite any compelling evidence in his memo. Instead Iger says, "I’ve been meeting with teams throughout the Company... I’ve been reminded of the tremendous value in being together with the people you work with...It is my belief that working together more in-person will benefit the Company’s creativity, culture, and our employees’ careers."

If my team has demonstrated increased productivity working remotely for the past two years, I would like some hard evidence about why commuting and sitting in an office building is so beneficial. Especially considering Iger was gone for the entirety of COVID and has no first-hand experience of how teams performed.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If my team has demonstrated increased productivity working remotely for the past two years
Is this accurate to say for Disney?

Anyways, there is also an argument that technology has contributed to creating a socially awkward generation, unable to feel like they are a part of something, or effectively communicate their thoughts and ideas. And I can see how, for many new hires, it can be very difficult to understand and eventually buy into/be a part of a company's culture when your entire career has been excluded from it (other than MS Teams meetings).

I find it interesting that technology, which we were told would bring us together, in many ways has driven us apart. And I don't think we are going to comprehend just how significant this is until many more years down the road. But I see the writing that is already on the wall. How members of society value each other. How we interact with one another. The lack of communication and understanding....it all goes beyond just talking about working remotely. Well beyond productivity. Well beyond the workplace.

Andrew25

Is this accurate to say for Disney?

Anyways, there is also an argument that technology has contributed to creating a socially awkward generation, unable to feel like they are a part of something, or effectively communicate their thoughts and ideas. And I can see how, for many new hires, it can be very difficult to understand and eventually buy into/be a part of a company's culture when your entire career has been excluded from it (other than MS Teams meetings).

I find it interesting that technology, which we were told would bring us together, in many ways has driven us apart. And I don't think we are going to comprehend just how significant this is until many more years down the road. But I see the writing that is already on the wall. How members of society value each other. How we interact with one another. The lack of communication and understanding....it all goes beyond just talking about working remotely. Well beyond productivity. Well beyond the workplace.

Work doesn't have to be the sole opportunity for you to interact socially with others. You can just as easily leave your house and visit a park, go to the gym, walk around a park, etc.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Work doesn't have to be the sole opportunity for you to interact socially with others. You can just as easily leave your house and visit a park, go to the gym, walk around a park, etc.
That is why I said it goes beyond the workplace. You could easily do those things yes...but as a society, are we having those interactions? It seems the more certain technology is brought it, the less these opportunities occur. It is just my wider point about losing true connections with people, with individuals...which I think hurts in the long run.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Many employees know—from years of firsthand experience at this point—that they are more productive remotely. They also know that it majorly improves their quality of life.

It’s insulting to be forced to work in an old-fashioned, less-productive, less-enjoyable way because your 70 year-old CEO has a hunch about creativity and doesn’t trust you.
…I think this is a big miscalculation on his part…

It won’t be the last and it certainly isn’t his first

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It doesn’t, but the US has spent the past 70+ years actively building a physical environment that is hostile to social interaction.
They have increasingly dominated the workers lives…and pushed further towards dynamics that show unhealthy levels of commitment as researched by every labor study conducted without a pro business stance being determined prior to the research.

And the virus broke that up…and the halls of power are desperate to get it back. So they are looking for stooges to line up behind false “reasons” to get it back…

…enter stage left
1673371624598.jpeg

Lilofan

*shrug*

I'm not interested in hiring anyone who balks at the idea of putting on real pants and leaving the house to start the workday. Employees like remote work because employees like not working.
Basically cast members have a choice, follow Iger directive to report to the office 4 days a week or face the music ( you’re fired) or resign.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are assuming this is the case for all.

You are assuming this is how the decision was reached.
I take a very good opinion…from someone who is a Vp at a major American company (we also used to have bunk beds 😎) who assures me that remote is more productive when you accept this one principle:

Good workers are good in either scenario…so are bad workers. It’s a 1:1 correlation.

So what they have found these last 3 years is that remote workers are better at home…unless they should have been fired in the first place.
Harsh realities, but something of an obvious universal truth.

So it doesn’t apply universally depending on what the job requires…but it shakes out all things being somewhat equal.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Basically cast members have a choice, follow Iger directive to report to the office 4 days a week or face the music ( you’re fired) or resign.
It’s been so long since we had a good old fashioned “if you don’t like it…quit!”

Did your cousin tell you that? I had hope that died with Covid.

A creativity void - because he caused it - company run by Iger that’s bleeding money from its seams needs the workers more than they need him

Lilofan

It’s been so long since we had a good old fashioned “if you don’t like it…quit!”

Did your cousin tell you that? I had hope that died with Covid.

A creativity void - because he caused it - company run by Iger that’s bleeding money from its seams needs the workers more than they need him
I can see this is coming from Iger but don’t you think his exec team maybe pushing him to get the word out to make this happen?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can see this is coming from Iger but don’t you think his exec team maybe pushing him to get the word out to make this happen?
I could if it had any validity

Saying remote kills creatively for mostly non-creative technical staff makes zero sense.

I think this has nothing to do with Disney. This is “market forces”. Others have said this is recent weeks and it doesn’t align with an entertainment company who THINKS it’s a financial company

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Its insulting to do a job the way an employer wants you to do a job. We have come a long way.

Its insulting to do a job the way an employer wants you to do a job. We have come a long way.
It certainly can be. Employees often leave jobs when they don’t feel respected by management.

I guess if you’re a low-skill employee with no options, you may swallow some insulting management behavior. But most Disney professionals have other options and would rather work somewhere that respects them. I don’t think it’s a hard concept to grasp.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom